Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
Lyralefty

Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08

Postby Lyralefty » Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:08 am

I feel lucky I just managed to capture this in one take! :D I just got a new Kremona Fiesta, and I love the tone of this guitar!
any constructive criticism would be appreciated!
Cheers! :casque:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two."

markodarko

Re: Barrios Mangore, Augstin - Julia Forida-D08

Postby markodarko » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:25 pm

I notice that your arpeggios are are played with a dotted rhythm. Is there a reason you're playing them like that instead of as straight quavers? The result is that it gives the piece a "skipping along" quality as opposed to a "longing" quality. If that makes sense.
Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

Ray

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08

Postby Ray » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:30 pm

You have basically a good feel for the piece and phrase well but I can't understand why you're giving all the three 8th note groupings a dotted feel

(dotted 8th-16th-8th)

instead of playing them evenly as written. It makes the piece sound like a horse lightly galloping and skipping along instead of a flowing feel as written.

Remember the piece is a Barcarole which is a boat song and the 6/8 meter is supposed to convey the feeling of rowing a boat in the river like they do in Venice which is the origin for this kind of song and/or instrumental work. Also don't know why but your guitar is tuned a whole step lower making it sound in C major, not D major as written.

Thanks for sharing.

Regards, Ray

Lyralefty

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08

Postby Lyralefty » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:34 am

i play this piece with a dotted rhythm because playing this piece make me feel relaxed, and playful. I play with these dotted rhythms because it makes the piece sound more playful and joyous.

sometimes i play with the even meter but, only when im very relaxed and at peace. it all depends on my mood, when i recored this i was actually in the middle of taking a break from practicing liebestraum by Liszt. i was having a lot of fun, and making a lot of progress, and this recording reflected that.

ray i hope this doesnt offend you but i dont believe in playing things exactly as their written, i believe we must express ourself through our music, and the dotted rhythm is my form of self expression, at least in this case.

as for the tuning, i guess i was just tuned a step down when i recorded this... oh well :p
"Nothing is more beautiful than a guitar, save perhaps two."

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”