Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida (Barcarola) - Video

Audio and video recordings of the works of Agustín Barrios Mangoré
Forum rules
III Our MP3, OGG, WMV, MOV, Authors' rights

Title format: Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida - D08 Video
or Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - op.08/04 Valse - D08
For more details see instructions here.
File access restricted to members who have made at least 2 posts.
harmox

Re: Barrios Mangoré, Agustín - Julia Florida (Barcarola) - Video

Post by harmox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:38 pm

Terry Sanderson wrote::applauso:
Very nice indeed :bravo:
Thank you, Terry!

harmox

Post by harmox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:48 pm

Cary W wrote:The guitar sounds great...nice recording too. Your solid technique made every note stand out. I see you have gone vertical with the guitar (a posture like Gabriel Bianco). Of course, we all feel the music in a different way, and that's how you played it. A little fast for my taste, but that's just me.
Thanks for sharing! :D
Thank you, Cary. People often tell me that my guitar is too high and too vertical, but to me this is the most comfortable position for my left hand, I try to keep the wrist "bending" angle (I don't know how to properly call it) as little as possible for healthy playing (had problems with my left wrist before).

harmox

Post by harmox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:48 pm

EdmondC wrote::casque: :casque: :bravo:
Edmond
Thank you, Edmond!

harmox

Post by harmox » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:24 pm

lagartija wrote:Lovely! :casque: I enjoyed your playing and the lovely sound you get out of your new guitar. Even on my cheap computer speakers, it sounded very nice. :-D

You play the piece much faster than I choose to play it. To me, the barcarole is the rocking of the boat. I've spent many decades on a sailboat so that is what drives my feeling for the tempo. Also, I think of this piece as a lullaby, so your version was shockingly fast to me! :lol:
I'm curious....have you ever sung the melody line out loud? If not, perhaps you might experiment with doing that. I found it very interesting to do that because it told me something about the phrasing and where I needed to take a breath. I would sing along with David Russell's playing of it, but anyone's version that you like will work. Sometimes, you find that they breathe like you and sometimes not!

Thanks so much for sharing your performance of this beautiful piece. :bravo:
Thank you! The guitar is still needs to be played in, but I too think it sounds great :mrgreen:
Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts! I don't think I've ever came down to set in stone interpretation of any piece, it's always affected by so many things, so I don't think it's possible (or necessary) to always play anything in a very certain way, so I'm always shaping my interpretation more or less.
I usually prefer not to explain my interpretation, I think you can only play music or listen to it and it's not much point in explain something you can perceive directly. But you raised very interesting points and I want to share some of my thoughts too...

I've heard this piece played slowly and I think it loses a lot when played too slow. For me it's very important to keep it flowing, to keep this "boat rocking" feeling by "keeping the beat" if I can say so. There is the place for rubato too, of course, but some pieces just lose their structure when played too slowly or with too much freedom, especially pieces with long developing phrases, like this one.
The sense of tempo and rhythm is a very complex topic and you can't rely either on strictness or freedom too much. What important, as I understand it, is to play according to the living pulse of music (and life - in breathing and heartbeat). If it's too strict, it has no life, and when it's too freely - it falls apart and there is no more music anymore, only abrupt sounds.
I've listened to a lot of different versions while I was learning it, but it was always unsatisfying, to be honest. We often rely on our first impression as the standard of the "correct" interpretation, so it's sometime work of habit, but I think it's important to be open and to listen to the music with the fresh ears at all times.
What I'm trying to say is that every piece is like universe of it's own and you can only find your own interpretation of it...That's what I'm trying to do.

P.S. I've never thought of this piece as a lullaby, actually. To me it's more like "Nessun Dorma" type of feeling. Lyrical, but great and passionate and stoic at the same time.

Thanks again!

leyenda

Post by leyenda » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:27 pm

It's abeautuful piece but I have to agree with lagartija that it's little fast for my taste it sounds like we re in for some squally weather, Not sur about spelling!
I think this is a piece that you should really indulge in and show off all the beautiful sonority es of the guitar and
as lagartija suggested, sing the melody and then replicate when plying then you will get more shape in the phrases - very difficult on the guitar!
Having said this, not too critical I hope, it is still a solid performance of a great piece and once again I'm inspired as I am with all the recordings on the forum.
Wiil record this too, soon.

harmox

Post by harmox » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:34 pm

leyenda wrote:It's abeautuful piece but I have to agree with lagartija that it's little fast for my taste it sounds like we re in for some squally weather, Not sur about spelling!
I think this is a piece that you should really indulge in and show off all the beautiful sonority es of the guitar and
as lagartija suggested, sing the melody and then replicate when plying then you will get more shape in the phrases - very difficult on the guitar!
Having said this, not too critical I hope, it is still a solid performance of a great piece and once again I'm inspired as I am with all the recordings on the forum.
Wiil record this too, soon.
Leyenda, thanks! As I said first time, there is room for improvement, so don't worry about criticism, it's good to hear different opinions and rethink everything once more.
Looking forward to hearing your version too.

Return to “Our recordings of Agustín Barrios Mangoré”