D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:08 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we'll revise some techanical exercises from volume D02.
- page 73, numbers 6 and 7.
Play this left-hand exercise trying to leave your fingers in place on the strings as long as you can, as I show you in the following video. If the stretches between your fingers seem too much for you, you can make it easier for the left hand by playing these exercises in 3rd or 5th position. Then your fingers won't need to stretch so far apart. Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

- page 74 Chromatic scale
Play this scale trying to leave your fingers on the strings as long as possible, as shown in this video. You will be able to play this exercise more effectively if you place your left thumb below your ring finger, i.e. below the third fret.

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at 2 pieces, pages 10, 16 and 17.
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
A Toye consists of three sections of four bars each, the third section being identical to the first. So this piece has an a-b-a structure, also sometimes called a Lied form (or ternary form).

The first section is in the key of A major, and you can see in it the Siciliana rhythm (dotted quaver, semiquaver, quaver, or dotted eighth note, sixteenth note, eighth note). The second section is in the key of D major. A major and D major are closely related keys, which means that they have 6 notes in common and just one different note between them. The G is sharp in A major but natural in D major.

Youtube
The Lied (ternary) form is often used by composers, and you will find five other examples in the same volume:
Juan Bobrowitz : Danse polonaise
Joseph Meissonnier : Andante affettuoso
Mauro Giuliani : Écossaise n°10 opus 33
Fernando Sor : Allegretto n°2 opus 44
Felix Horetzky : Amusement opus 18 no.10

- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES
This piece comes from flamenco music, but the rhythm doesn't follow the traditional pattern of accented beats over a 12 beat phrase (1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12). The mode used is the Andalusian mode: E F G# A B C D E. The repeats are necessary, in order to preserve the structure based on groups of four bars.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 10 ANONYME (1600) A TOYE
- pages 16-17 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SOLEARES

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

A TOYE
SOLEARES

Andrei Puhach
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Chu Bun
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Edna Lopez
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Jeremy Gillard
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Bert Stendahl
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Nathanael Benassi
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Zafar Haq
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Jose Ramon Martinez
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Alma Wistara
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Colin Bullock
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Angela Zhao
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Rajesh Dhungel
A TOYE
SOLEARES

Warley Lima
A TOYE
SOLEARES
:( + ♫ = :)

Stephen Jessup

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Postby Stephen Jessup » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:41 pm

Hi all. I look forward to learning these two pieces of music. All the best to us all.

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Postby Zafar Haq » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi,Classmates,
This month study assignments music sheet breakdown,
a.ATOYE
1.Time Signature: 6/8
2.Tempo:160
3.Strokes: Apoyando
4.Measures: 15
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Dampings: 14
7.Repeats: Yes,measure 1 to 4,next 6 to 9,next 11 to 14,please note, these "volta bracket symbols,also called repeat brackets" at measure 4,5,measure 9 and 10 and measure 14 and 15 are new to us.They simply tell that after repeat the sequence will be measure 1,2,3,5 excluding measure 4 on repeat cycle.If you see the pattern,it will be as follows.
"Volta brackets (1st and 2nd endings, or 1st- and 2nd-time bars)
A repeated passage is to be played with different endings on different playings; it is possible to have more than two endings (1st, 2nd, 3rd ...)." Wiki definition
8.Special effects: No
9."#" symbol: Yes for C#,F#,G#
11.Lyrics: No
12.Rest: No
13. Articulation:Fermata (Pause) Symbol at measure 15
A note, chord, or rest sustained longer than its customary value. Usually appears over all parts at the same metrical location in a piece, to show a halt in tempo. It can be placed above or below the note. The fermata is held for as long as the performer or conductor desires.Wiki

b.Study assignment "SOLEARES"
Term "Solea" soleá, pronounced: [soleˈa]) is one of the most basic forms or "palos" of Flamenco music.
Term "Falseta" A Falseta is part of Flamenco music. They are usually short melodies played by the guitarist(s) in between sung verses, or to accompany dancers. :)
1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:132
3.Strokes:Not mention
4.Measures: 58
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Dampings: 37
7.Repeats: Yes,measure 1,2, measure 7,8, measure 13,14, measure 27,28, measure 33,34,
8.Special effects: No
9."#" symbol: Yes
11.Lyrics: No
12.Rest: Yes,eighth note (quaver) at most of the music sheet,quarter note at last measure
13. Articulation:Please note two new symbols or text new to us.
"rit"text under measure 57 meaning retard/slow
wiki definition:
"rit.
An abbreviation for ritardando;[8] also an abbreviation for ritenuto[9]
ritardando, ritard., rit.
Slowing down; decelerating; opposite of accelerando
ritenuto, riten., rit.
Suddenly slower, held back (usually more so but more temporarily than a ritardando, and it may, unlike ritardando, apply to a single note); opposite of accelerato"
Next symbol "golpe" at last measure represent "strike"
wiki definition:
Golpe has multiple meanings, as described below:
In music, golpe can mean
golpe (guitar technique) is a Flamenco guitar technique where one uses the fingers to tap on the soundboard of the guitar, from the Spanish golpe, meaning to strike;

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:17 pm

The second piece looks even tougher than Malaguena. Good luck all.

Rajesh Dhungel

Postby Rajesh Dhungel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:27 am

Hi everyone I am still undone with malaguena all the best :bye:

Warley Lima

Postby Warley Lima » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:39 pm

Chu Bun wrote:The second piece looks even tougher than Malaguena. Good luck all.

I noticed that too, good luck to all :chaud:
Regards,

Warley Lima

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Lets discuss left hand, right hand finger placement for study assignment "SOLEARES" to avoid any mistake.
Last measure 58,music sheet shows, Left hand finger 2 at string 4,fret 2 (E).Left hand finger 1 at string 3 fret 1 (#G).String 2,open,string 1 open.For right hand thumb on "D" string,index finger on "G" string,middle finger on "B" string,ring finger on "E" and I have to pluck all these strings while left hand finger 2 and 1 placed on frets mention above.Am I right? In the last measure 58, I see two sharp symbols.One is for #G,what other # symbol is for? thanks.

Stephen Jessup

Postby Stephen Jessup » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:48 pm

Zafar Haq wrote: In the last measure 58, I see two sharp symbols.One is for #G,what other # symbol is for? thanks.

Is measure 58 the very last bar? If so I can only see one sharp symbol (on G) not two.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:49 pm

Hi, Stephen Jessup,
Thanks, I downloaded a fresh D02 pdf volume.Page 17, last measure clearly show one sharp.Confusion solved.

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:04 am

Hi friends,

I have a question about damping in "SOLEARES". For example, let's take measures 3-5 in Falseta 2 (measures 15-17 from the beginning): A E B E D E | C (damp \3) E E E G E | F (damp \3) ...

Does "damp \3" under C mean that finger 3 should be on both A and D strings at the same time?

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:54 am

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
In Falseta 2,measure 1,damping note "A" damp with right hand thumb,measure 3,damping note is "D" using left hand finger 3.next measure 4, damping note "G" using left hand finger 3.In measure 6,damping note "E" using left hand finger 1.Hope this may help. :)

Edit:another damping sign is under measure 3, "A" note without showing what finger to be used for damping? My opinion is to use right hand thumb for damping.

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Zafar, thank you for this clarification.
measure 3,damping note is "D" using left hand finger 3

Right, but we should do that at the beginning of measure 4 at the same time we produce C. That's why the confusion. It is impossible to do these 2 thing in a sequence, thus, measure 4 starts from placing finger 3 on string A fret 3 in such a way that it also damps string D (so it looks less curved), is it correct?

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
I understood your confusion. In music sheet damping flower sign is placed one note forward showing line towards preceding note which is note "D".So relax,no need to damp measure 4,note "A".Flower showing below the "A" note tells you "Damp the preceding note".Hope it may help.

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:59 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:...thus, measure 4 starts from placing finger 3 on string A fret 3 in such a way that it also damps string D (so it looks less curved), is it correct?

That's correct, Andrei. For me that is the "default" playing style for scalar passages, as it also minimizes some of the unwanted resonances from the next string. Especially for pinky it is usually harder to fret in a way that the finger doesn't mute the next string as well, and requires the wrist to move forward.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:23 pm

Thank you, Zafar, Marko, got it.
I always tried to play so that the next string (below) is never muted (like in lesson 02 exercise where towards the end you hold pinky on the 6th string 4th fret and keep playing on the 5th string). But I agree with Marko that it is easier to mute (vs not mute) this way :)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”