D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Edna Lopez
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Edna Lopez » Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:16 pm

John Montes wrote:Nicely done Edna. The practice is paying off
:merci: John !
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:43 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi,EDNA LOPEZ,
This discussion is about fingers.
viewtopic.php?t=76360&start=15
This youtube video show building finger strength.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYPEGG9qf0g
You can search for hand,finger massage techniques using natural oils etc.
Thanks Zafar
Edna Lopez

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:32 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:Chu, I'm dying of curiosity: what problem are you talking about :?: Is about better balance and control?
The pictures below compare the position of our hands when we played i/m on the 1st string and 4th string (the triplets in Falseta 3 and first measure of Final respectively). You can see that there is very little changes in the position of the Prof's hand relative to the strings he needed to play. But that is not the case for us. Besides bending more, I also turned and lifted my wrist a little. When the position of the hand relative to the strings changes, the fingers will need to adjust to a slightly different "path" to pluck the strings which will affect the consistency (The first measure of the Final accounts for about 1/3 of the number of takes I had to redo. I think you played that part with your thumb only, so I capture the screen for your hand from the preceding measure). Straight wristers will need to adjust their forearm, so they may experience some difficult too, but they will not need to adjust to the bend/lift/turn of the wrist. I have not had time to check Jeremy's clip, but my guest is the variations of the hand at the two parts should be very small.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:41 am

Chu Bun wrote: The pictures below compare the position of our hands when we played i/m on the 1st string and 4th string (the triplets in Falseta 3 and first measure of Final respectively). You can see that there is very little changes in the position of the Prof's hand relative to the strings he needed to play. But that is not the case for us. Besides bending more, I also turned and lifted my wrist a little. When the position of the hand relative to the strings changes, the fingers will need to adjust to a slightly different "path" to pluck the strings which will affect the consistency (The first measure of the Final accounts for about 1/3 of the number of takes I had to redo. I think you played that part with your thumb only, so I capture the screen for your hand from the preceding measure). Straight wristers will need to adjust their forearm, so they may experience some difficult too, but they will not need to adjust to the bend/lift/turn of the wrist. I have not had time to check Jeremy's clip, but my guest is the variations of the hand at the two parts should be very small.
Chu, thank you for this nice observation and detailed analysis!
I have to admit, switching to apoyando is hard for me and I have to change the position. So, it makes difficult mixed mode where there can be both rest and free strokes one after another.
But here is a nice counterexample below. This is a Russian teacher Yuri Kuznetsov playing Romance. He alternates rest and free strokes: 1st string - rest stroke, 2nd 3rd - free stroke. Sorry, the video is in Russian, no translation available. Start from second 35. (the youtube BBCode does not seem to allow the start time in the link...)

Video removed for copyright reasons. Search youtube for "39.Ю. Кузнецов Уроки игры на гитаре Романс практика"
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:05 am

Jeremy Gillard wrote:Good Morning Fellow Students:

I set about this morning to recording this months submissions. I look a bit disheveled, and probably half asleep. But that's ok! :-) I think they could be better, but comments from others are very welcome! Thanks for watching.

Youtube

Youtube
Both look effortless. Very even tempo, even at difficult fragments. But here is some criticism:
A TOYE:
1. No thumb damping?

SOLEARES:
1. No damping at Falseta 4.
2. Probably there was a short memory slip before Falseta 5. I had a lot of them, even when was confident that know the entire piece by heart. So, it I had to make about 40 takes I think. But looking at the fretboard instead of the sheet music seems to help reduce mistakes.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:19 am

Edna Lopez wrote:Hello. After dozens of video attemps.. here are my best..

Youtube

Youtube

Thanks for your input !
Hi Edna, well done!
You followed the notation correctly, your fingering is right. I noticed that you alternated your i and m in A TOYO consistently, but in SOLEARES at 1:21 (Falseta 6, measure 3) you play A and G by the your index finger (no alternating with m).
By the way, damping is nicely done!
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:29 am

Bert Stendahl wrote:Hi all
Hi Bert, I agree with Zafar that you should work on the rhythm a bit more. That's very important to respect each note duration. Each measure takes equal amount of time to play. I also had a feeling that you tried to rush through the piece: easier parts are very fast while more complex parts are much slower.
Looking forward to your improved A TOYE and then SOLEARES!
Cordoba C9

Jeremy Gillard

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:49 pm

A TOYE:
1. No thumb damping?

SOLEARES:
1. No damping at Falseta 4.
2. Probably there was a short memory slip before Falseta 5. I had a lot of them, even when was confident that know the entire piece by heart. So, it I had to make about 40 takes I think. But looking at the fretboard instead of the sheet music seems to help reduce mistakes.
For A Toye, there was some damping. I had a look at the music again, and I can see where I can improve this. I was not happy with the recording I did for this one, so I will see if I can find some time to re-record it while adding some additional damping.
For Soleares, I most definitely missed some damping throughout. I was most concerned with playing the correct notes. I'm working on improving this! As for the slip before falseta 5, I forgot at that moment of time what I was supposed to play, so that is why there is hesitation there. It's a mistake for sure! :)

Thanks for the comments. I can use these to try and improve.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:57 pm

Edna,

Your pieces sound good. It seems your sense of tempo/dynamic/... is much better than your guitar techniques. Maybe you play other instruments?
I think the ring finger of your fretting hand is too straight. Sometimes your tip join collapses. Unless you try to damp the lower string, this should never happen.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:58 pm

Jeremy,

As usual, your pieces have that stable and in-control feel. You certainly do not have twist and turn wrist problem that Andrei and I have. I guess you do not have problem playing the first measure of the Final section.

Jeremy Gillard

Post by Jeremy Gillard » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:32 pm

As usual, your pieces have that stable and in-control feel. You certainly do not have twist and turn wrist problem that Andrei and I have. I guess you do not have problem playing the first measure of the Final section.
I don't really have an issue with the first measure of the "final" section. For me, I just have to try and keep my concentration so that I don't hesitate when playing between sections. That, and I was not really damping the low E note when I should have been. This is why it is good to post up videos so you can get feedback on what to do to improve. My goal is to re-do both of these pieces and re-post them with the suggestions I've been given.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:12 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:Hello. After dozens of video attemps.. here are my best..

Youtube

Youtube

Thanks for your input !
Hi Edna, well done!
You followed the notation correctly, your fingering is right. I noticed that you alternated your i and m in A TOYO consistently, but in SOLEARES at 1:21 (Falseta 6, measure 3) you play A and G by the your index finger (no alternating with m).
By the way, damping is nicely done!
thanks Andrei...so many details in these simple songs are quite challenging..and my fingers are not quite obedient...will make them work harder!.
Last edited by Edna Lopez on Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:29 am

Chu Bun wrote:Edna,

Your pieces sound good. It seems your sense of tempo/dynamic/... is much better than your guitar techniques. Maybe you play other instruments?
I think the ring finger of your fretting hand is too straight. Sometimes your tip join collapses. Unless you try to damp the lower string, this should never happen.
Hi Chun. Thanks for watching. I dont play any other instrument. My fingers are weak...left and right...and I tense my left hand way too much...to make thing worst, my guitar needs a replacement...kept and played for sentimental value, but it is of very poor quality, ....get a good one, with strings closer to the fretboard....is on the list. You are right, my technique leaves a lot to be desired . students in this class are good players... I guess Ill have to double up my practice hours. :roll:
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:31 am

Jeremy Gillard wrote:Hi Edna:

I thought your posts were great. You look very comfortable in your playing which is great. The only comment in soleares is the measures with triplets causes your tempo to slow down a bit. Keep up the great work! I can see a marked improvement in this month over last. It must be all that PRACTICE! :)
:merci: jeremy for watching and commenting
Edna Lopez

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:47 am

Edna Lopez wrote:
Chu Bun wrote:Edna,

Hi Chun. Thanks for watching. I dont play any other instrument. My fingers are weak...left and right...and I tense my left hand way too much...to make thing worst, my guitar needs a replacement...kept and played for sentimental value, but it is of very poor quality, ....get a good one, with strings closer to the fretboard....is on the list. You are right, my technique leaves a lot to be desired . students in this class are good players... I guess Ill have to double up my practice hours. :roll:
As of left hand strength: it is recommended by some teachers to loosen strings so that it is comfortable to play.
If you are brave enough and OK to do some physical labor, you can also adjust the saddle and probably nut so that strings are closer to the fretboard. To do this right you might need need a metal file, but I figured out that it is possible to reduce the height of the saddle with a knife (but that requires more work). But remember, that the height is different at 1st and 6th strings! I've done this to my backup guitar and quite happy with the result :) Good luck!
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”