D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:33 pm

Andrei,

I looked at a few clips from the old school masters. They also shift their whole hand/forearm and maintain the same attacking angle like prof. Delcamp. Sometimes they change the attacking angle, but I think it's for variation of the tone, not to reach a string like we do. Also, Bream's wrist looks pretty straight to me. Only Segovia use a severe bent wrist.

Btw, I play Romance the same way, rest stroke for the main melody and free stroke for the accompany (search youtube for a clip title "Lagrima Explained - Part 1 - The Right Hand Technique", that where I got the idea from).

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Nov 19, 2015 12:48 am

Edna Lopez wrote:... my technique leaves a lot to be desired .
I did not mean to say your technique was poor. Just that there is a disparity somewhere in your playing.

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:40 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:
Chu Bun wrote:Edna,

Your pieces sound good. It seems your sense of tempo/dynamic/... is much better than your guitar techniques. Maybe you play other instruments?
I think the ring finger of your fretting hand is too straight. Sometimes your tip join collapses. Unless you try to damp the lower string, this should never happen.
Hi Chun. Thanks for watching. I dont play any other instrument. My fingers are weak...left and right...and I tense my left hand way too much...to make thing worst, my guitar needs a replacement...kept and played for sentimental value, but it is of very poor quality, ....get a good one, with strings closer to the fretboard....is on the list. You are right, my technique leaves a lot to be desired . students in this class are good players... I guess Ill have to double up my practice hours. :roll:
As of left hand strength: it is recommended by some teachers to loosen strings so that it is comfortable to play.
If you are brave enough and OK to do some physical labor, you can also adjust the saddle and probably nut so that strings are closer to the fretboard. To do this right you might need need a metal file, but I figured out that it is possible to reduce the height of the saddle with a knife (but that requires more work). But remember, that the height is different at 1st and 6th strings! I've done this to my backup guitar and quite happy with the result :) Good luck!
hi Andrey...thanks for adding up to the stream....I already broke 2 guitars trying to adjust them to my liking...thx for advice though... It is doable but this guitar is not worth the labor...will have to get new one...
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:16 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:... my technique leaves a lot to be desired .
I did not mean to say your technique was poor. Just that there is a disparity somewhere in your playing.
i didnt think you did, Chun :wink: . I just stated that as a fact. I have a lot to learn and way too many hours to practice to get past my eternal beginner level....please keep mentioning all disparities
Edna Lopez

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:36 pm

Hello
After getting a little longer nails I don't have the problem with strings catching my fingers anymore.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi, Bert Stendahl,
Well done.
Study assignment "SOLEARES".
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:50 am

Hello all. Sorry I've been slow on posting this month, here are my submissions.
Youtube

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:44 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is version of study assignment "ATOYE". Apologize for late submission. :)

Youtube

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:46 pm

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! It's the best U.S.holiday for food.

Zafar good work with your submission for atoye. You have great tone and technique. Watch the timing on the end of the phrase.
First 2 notes in Bar 4 is quarter note and eighth note so they should last as long as the first 2 notes in the piece quarter note eighth note.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi, Nathanael Benassi,
Well done on your both study assignments.
In study assignment "ATOYE" my observations are.
1.Left hand thumb try to protrude from the back of the neck.
2.last measure, last note "A" should continue to ring beyond its normal one eighth duration due to symbol "Fermata" placed under the note.
3. Sound quality of high strings. Is it pressing it hard with fretting left hand fingers?,strings are worn out,humidity is not enough and guitar neck and body turn out dry.
4. Right hand is over the sound hole playing strings blocking the sound to appear freely.
Well done for study assignment "SOLEARES".
Good steady tempo,rhythm,melody.
Good audio level,video,posture,lighting quality.

Thanks for your comments on my study assignment "ATOYE" viewing. Yes, you are right,measure 4, time duration is not played as shown in the music sheet. My video encoder freezes causing blank periods in between the continuous sound.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Hi, Nathanael,
Pretty clean renditions, both pieces. As Zafar mentioned, something was wrong with high strings sometimes. I guess it is because of too low action or non-flat fretboard.

Bert, I like your Soleares much better than A Toye! By the way, do you have a long nail on your thumb as well? I don't have one but will try to play with it when it grows long enough :)

Zafar, nice work! My only complaint is that sometimes you pluck more high strings than necessary. I'd recommend 120 studies for the right hand by Mauro Giuliani. I play some studies as part of my warm up routine. You left hand is good!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Cordoba C9

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:41 am

Hi, Classmates,
My study assignment "SOLEARES" in mp3 audio format is here. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:50 am

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Thanks for your comments. I have Mauro Giuliani study pdf.Will check and practice between study assignments.

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:41 pm

Do you have a short nail on your thumb why? I'm not sure Soleares is much better than A Toye, it can be informative to play to fast sometimes, you will see your shortcomings. Also being able to play the assignments very good after one week might rise the question if being on the correct lesson level.
Andrei Puhach wrote:Hi, Nathanael,
Pretty clean renditions, both pieces. As Zafar mentioned, something was wrong with high strings sometimes. I guess it is because of too low action or non-flat fretboard.

Bert, I like your Soleares much better than A Toye! By the way, do you have a long nail on your thumb as well? I don't have one but will try to play with it when it grows long enough :)

Zafar, nice work! My only complaint is that sometimes you pluck more high strings than necessary. I'd recommend 120 studies for the right hand by Mauro Giuliani. I play some studies as part of my warm up routine. You left hand is good!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Never Mind the Bollocks

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:07 am

Hello everyone :bye:
here is my task for this month. I saw all of your videos and I think that all of us made a big progress this month. :bravo: I struggle with speed but I hope I'll keep up with the tempo proffesor Delcamp has soon.
Have wonderful holidays everyone.
I wish you all Marry Christmas and a Happy New year. :bye:

Youtube

Youtube

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”