D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Juan Silva

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Juan Silva » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 am

Thank you Mr. Zafar. In further reading, I have discovered that when a sharp symbol is used at the signature, it applies to all the notes being identified, regardless of the string or octave that the note falls in. Pretty much what you said : "To keep the piece clean,it is placed just next to time signature once".
Thank you and kind regards,
Juan

Jenni Gribble
Student of the online lessons

Post by Jenni Gribble » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:17 pm

Here is my recording of Cadet Rousselle. :chaud:

Youtube

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi Jenni, lovely rabbits, and playing :casque:

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:21 pm

Thank you Cao. I have been a bit frustrated with La Cucaracha lately, so I need the encouragement.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:36 pm

La Cucaracha is a hard piece with high tempo and tricky rhythm. For rthythm, try listening to various versions of the song on Youtube and sing along. It's easier to play when you can sing it. For speed, first practice right hand finger alternations on one string, then add RH string crossings and finally LH fingerings. That's how I practiced it.

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:33 am

Hello everyone. Here are my video entries for Lesson 4. I too share a particular frustration with "La Cucaracha". Very tricky one. I am also very pleased with the musicality of these lessons. I am not saying I am pleased with my musicality, but with the musicality that they in themselves contain :lol: I hope to get there eventually though...especially if the hands and brain cooperate to work together at the same time...
Thank you in advance for your comments.
-Juan
:casque:

La Cucaracha

Youtube

Alouette, Gentille Aloutte

Youtube

Lundi Matin

Youtube

Cadet Rouselle

Youtube

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:54 pm

Very nice Juan. I have mine ready, but I need to film them.
Cao Nguyen wrote:La Cucaracha is a hard piece with high tempo and tricky rhythm. For rthythm, try listening to various versions of the song on Youtube and sing along. It's easier to play when you can sing it. For speed, first practice right hand finger alternations on one string, then add RH string crossings and finally LH fingerings. That's how I practiced it.
I do usually watch/listen to pieces on YouTube (a great resource!) I am pretty familiar with La Cucaracha, however, since I live in Texas! I think what was really giving me trouble is that 4th finger on the left hand. It has a tendency to buzz because I don't hit it right up next to the fret.

I find that one of the best ways to work through a difficult song is to memorize it. With La Cucaracha, I memorized the beginning notes and then just put the music off to the side and picked through it by ear (using the music in my head). Every once in awhile I would compare my version with the written score, just to make sure I wasn't missing a part. Sometimes I come up with something different than what is in the music. Like in Alouette, there is one measure where I came up with something that is quite different from the written music. My version seems to work too, but nevertheless I had to re-memorize that part. Sometimes I have to adjust the rhythms as well. I am not so good with rhythm. I like to count by tapping my foot and I find that difficult to do while holding the guitar on my lap.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:48 pm

Jenni Gribble wrote: I think what was really giving me trouble is that 4th finger on the left hand. It has a tendency to buzz because I don't hit it right up next to the fret.
It's good that you're aware of your own errors. I solve most of my technique problems like this: first, become aware of them one by one, then mentally figure out a solution/exercise, and finally execute the exercise until it becomes muscle memory and I no longer make that error. Usually the first two parts are the job of a teacher, but since we're teaching ourselves, we need to do them all. For your problem, you should play that part extremely slowly to analyze what's going on. Give the 4th finger a little preparation/anticipation by moving it closer to the spot of action while playing the previous notes. After you can do it smoothly, raise the tempo and practice until muscle memory.
Jenni Gribble wrote: I find that one of the best ways to work through a difficult song is to memorize it.
Yes. I memorize everything I play. This forum is a terrific source of knowledge. There's a topic about Why memorise?. Memorizing helps me focus on other aspects of playing, such as interpretation and playing expressively. I first work with the music sheet, practice it in small parts, overcome all the technical difficulties, put them together and memorize the final version.
Jenni Gribble wrote: I am not so good with rhythm. I like to count by tapping my foot and I find that difficult to do while holding the guitar on my lap.
You should work with a metronome. I started off before with Shearer's book. The first exercises are about rhythm. I spent quite some time with a metronome and it seemed to give me a solid foundation. Now most of the time I don't need to count or tap, except for some tricky parts.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:44 am

Thank you Cao for your suggestions! Will try :)

Well here are the rest of my recordings. Sorry about my left hand flapping around. :roll:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:34 am

Nice Jenni! The hand flapping wasn't too bad :)
What I did notice, was that it appears you are able to memorize the pieces. Kudos on being able to do that, your focus on the tones is noticeable because of it...just my thoughts. I think I should try it!

I'm just trying to keep up, and keep it together. There is plenty of good advice in these posts.

Tom Hayes

Post by Tom Hayes » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:35 am

I'll try and find a better recording angle next time, as the tablet can be seen reflecting off the guitar. Anyway, here are my late submissions for this lesson:

La cucaracha

Youtube

Alouette, gentille alouette

Youtube

Lundi matin

Youtube

Cadet Rousselle

Youtube

Thank you for any advice,
Tom.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 am

My thanks for auditing, my exam-qualifying submissions lesson D01 - 04. Best, Jonathan.
La_Cucaracha.mp3
Alouette.mp3
Lundi_Matin.mp3
Rouselle.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”