D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:27 am

Hello, here are my December 2015 submissions:
Scale of E minor

Youtube

Arpeggi Di Tre Note

Youtube

Carulli Valse

Youtube

There are some minor mistakes like not alternating right hand fingers and plucking more strings than necessary with the thumb.
Cordoba C9

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:41 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:... Does it matter which order is done? ...or is it just whatever feel comfortable/easier to play?
If I remember correctly in all the exercises with similar patterns, damping is done "after". Don't rely too much on the comfortable/easy feeling. It would often be easier and more comfortable to repeat a bad habit than to learn the correct way. Personally, when I am not sure what to do, I blindly follow the instructions from the teacher.
:merci: Chun... is gonna take hours to reverse it... Plus i like the "sound" of the mili-second of silent before the base note... Will do! One more new years resolution.
Last edited by Edna Lopez on Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:49 am

John Montes wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:Help...!
I just realized that Im muting the strings differently than Prof. Delcamp. In Arpeggi Di Tre Note, measure 6, he plays D base note and right after he mutes the A base note from the preceding measure...ive been muting first the preceding note. Does it matter which order is done? ...or is it just whatever feel comfortable/easier to play?

In the scales...Mi minor has 1 sharp: F .. Why are C and D sharp on the way up?
Hi Edna,

The damping symbols can be a little misleading in that Carulli exercise/study compared to how its seen in other exercises with a tie/line back to a preceding note.

In the Carulli on p.22 treat the symbols as a reminder to dampen a preceding bass line note that may still be ringing before playing the bass note above the damping symbol. In that exercise the damping symbols are mainly reminding to dampen any stray/resonating open string bass notes (A, E, D) that can linger.

Regarding the minor scale question, keep in mind that the melodic minor scale borrows from the natural minor scale, but the 6th and 7th scale degrees are raised a semi-tone ascending, but natural when descending.

Natural Minor formula: 1 2 ♭3 4 5 6 7 8 (same ascending and descending)
Melodic Minor formula: 1 2 ♭3 4 5 #6 #7 8 (ascending), 8 ♮7 ♮6 5 4 ♭3 2 1 (descending)
:merci: John. So it is a melodic scale !!! About the Carulli piece, does it matter if i damp it before or after the next base note?... Damping is difficult skill and if im doing it wrong, i rather correct it now before it gets engraved on my memory.
Edna Lopez

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:37 am

Edna Lopez wrote: :merci: John. So it is a melodic scale !!! About the Carulli piece, does it matter if i damp it before or after the next base note?... Damping is difficult skill and if im doing it wrong, i rather correct it now before it gets engraved on my memory.
Starting with the Damping symbol in measure 2 (below the E bass), dampen the resonant A bass note from arpeggio #2 in measure 1 before the 1st E bass note in measure 2.
For this 1st Damp - I can use my left hand ring finger to lightly touch the A bass note--to dampen--right as I transition the fingerings from the A minor to E major arpeggio

Starting with the Damping symbol in measure 4 (below the A bass), dampen the resonant E bass note from arpeggio #2 in measure 3 before the 1st A bass note in measure 4.
For this 2nd Damp - I can naturally dampen E bass note--without much effort--with the left-side of the right thumb because its nestled between the open low E and A strings

The same approach for the 2nd damping (using the right thumb) can be used for the 3rd damp when transitioning between the open A and open D strings and associated arpeggios in measures 5 to 6.

Likewise in measures 7 to 8, 17 to 18, and 19 to 20 and 21 to 23.

Hope this helps :bye:
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:35 pm

Andrei,

Very good dynamic range on the first piece.
Second piece is close to performance ready level. On a few notes I think your fretting hand moved a bit early and the note duration was shorten, but just a tiny bit. What's your setting? The sound quality is excellent.
Third piece is not as confident as the previous piece, but considering the variations in tones and plucking hand positions, extremely well done.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:10 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Well done,
I listen,watch and liked your all three study assignments.I see confidence in your performance.
Good left hand right hand coordination.
Good tempo, rhythm, melody.
Good audio, video,lighting,posture.Keep it up.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:24 pm

Edna,

Not to contradict what John said. There are different ways to do damping. But the intentions for the exercises are usually not clearly stated. If one of intentions is to teach damping in a certain way, by doing it differently, you miss out that part of the lessons. Furthermore, if it "... is gonna take hours to reverse it" as you wrote earlier, the more reason to learn the technique!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:39 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Andrei,

Very good dynamic range on the first piece.
Second piece is close to performance ready level. On a few notes I think your fretting hand moved a bit early and the note duration was shorten, but just a tiny bit. What's your setting? The sound quality is excellent.
Third piece is not as confident as the previous piece, but considering the variations in tones and plucking hand positions, extremely well done.
Thank you, Chu, for your feedback. Right, some durations are shorten, will take that into account when work on new pieces.
The setting is just my Nexus 6 phone, no other equipment :) The mic on the left was not used, it just happened to be there. The room was perfectly silent and soundproof, so maybe that's why the quality is better.
Third piece was so difficult to get error-free... Anyway, thank you for all your kind words :)
Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Well done,
I listen,watch and liked your all three study assignments.I see confidence in your performance.
Good left hand right hand coordination.
Good tempo, rhythm, melody.
Good audio, video,lighting,posture.Keep it up.
Thank you, Zafar, glad you liked it :)
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:59 pm

John Montes wrote: Starting with the Damping symbol in measure 4 (below the A bass), ....
Thanks John. Interesting to see how you do it, my natural inclination would be to damp the bass notes with the thumb at the beginning of each bar, so it's good to add other methods to the toolkit. I agree with Edna and Chu, I need to start learning the damping as part of the piece from day 1, I didn't do it with Malagueña and ended up having to relearn it!
On to Soleras now :?

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:14 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
John Montes wrote: Starting with the Damping symbol in measure 4 (below the A bass), ....
Thanks John. Interesting to see how you do it, my natural inclination would be to damp the bass notes with the thumb at the beginning of each bar, so it's good to add other methods to the toolkit. I agree with Edna and Chu, I need to start learning the damping as part of the piece from day 1, I didn't do it with Malagueña and ended up having to relearn it!
On to Soleras now :?
There's multiple ways, I mentioned two that can be used in the Carulli exercise, where they'd be the most practical. The thumb method is the easiest to execute for the overwhelming majority if not all of the noted dampings in that exercise.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:28 pm

John Montes wrote: There's multiple ways, I mentioned two that can be used in the Carulli exercise, where they'd be the most practical. The thumb method is the easiest to execute for the overwhelming majority if not all of the noted dampings in that exercise.
Thanks John,I've been trying your suggestions in Soleares and there are a couple of places where they are easier than thumb method and give a smoother sound.

Edna Lopez

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Edna Lopez » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:13 pm

Youtube

Youtube

Thanks for watching and commenting.
String muting, quite challenging.
Edna Lopez

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:24 pm

Hi, Edna Lopez,
Well done.soothing sound.New guitar,improved quality.
Good tempo,Rhythm,Melody.
Good audio,video,lighting posture quality.
Just an advice for study assignment "VALSE" to use both ring and middle finger alternation in measure 9 to 14.

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Sun Dec 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Edna Lopez,
Well done.soothing sound.New guitar,improved quality.
Good tempo,Rhythm,Melody.
Good audio,video,lighting posture quality.
Just an advice for study assignment "VALSE" to use both ring and middle finger alternation in measure 9 to 14.
Zafar...:o) you noticed !... Thx ... Those fingers of mine are quite rebellious. I tried to follow notation as much as possible, will come with time.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 am

John Montes wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote: :merci: John. So it is a melodic scale !!! About the Carulli piece, does it matter if i damp it before or after the next base note?... Damping is difficult skill and if im doing it wrong, i rather correct it now before it gets engraved on my memory.
Starting with the Damping symbol in measure 2 (below the E bass), dampen the resonant A bass note from arpeggio #2 in measure 1 before the 1st E bass note in measure 2.
For this 1st Damp - I can use my left hand ring finger to lightly touch the A bass note--to dampen--right as I transition the fingerings from the A minor to E major arpeggio

Starting with the Damping symbol in measure 4 (below the A bass), dampen the resonant E bass note from arpeggio #2 in measure 3 before the 1st A bass note in measure 4.
For this 2nd Damp - I can naturally dampen E bass note--without much effort--with the left-side of the right thumb because its nestled between the open low E and A strings

The same approach for the 2nd damping (using the right thumb) can be used for the 3rd damp when transitioning between the open A and open D strings and associated arpeggios in measures 5 to 6.

Likewise in measures 7 to 8, 17 to 18, and 19 to 20 and 21 to 23.

Hope this helps :bye:
Thx John, easier said than done, I'll try my best.
Edna Lopez

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”