D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Edna Lopez
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 04

Postby Edna Lopez » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:16 am

Chu Bun wrote:Edna,

Not to contradict what John said. There are different ways to do damping. But the intentions for the exercises are usually not clearly stated. If one of intentions is to teach damping in a certain way, by doing it differently, you miss out that part of the lessons. Furthermore, if it "... is gonna take hours to reverse it" as you wrote earlier, the more reason to learn the technique!

Chu, I get what you mean, any way after repeating several times certain way, fingers learn any technique, so why not do it as the Professor, since the videos are quite clear.
Edna Lopez

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Edna,

First of all: congrats on a new guitar! The sound is much better! I believe you should also feel the difference in playability. It is Cordoba, right? What model is it?

Second, both pieces are played very well. These challenging mutes seem to be done right.

Keep it up!

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:25 am

Congrats on your new guitar. In the arpeggio piece, why you moved your whole hand when plucking with the thumb? You didn't do that on the second piece. In general, you should keep your hand sturdy and only move the finger when plucking a note. In some of the threads in the public forum, the discussions go even further such as 60% of the movement from knuckle, 35% from middle joint, 5% from tip joint, or something crazy like that.

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:36 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:Edna,

First of all: congrats on a new guitar! The sound is much better! I believe you should also feel the difference in playability. It is Cordoba, right? What model is it?

Second, both pieces are played very well. These challenging mutes seem to be done right.

Keep it up!

Thanks Anndrei. It is a Cordoba C5. I watched a couple of videos in the guitarcenter website, and I liked what I heard plus it was within budget. Pretty wood and nice pegs; it doesnt buzz as much as my cheap guitar, but still does in some frets. The action is higher than I wanted it to be, but I will take it back soon to get it adjusted. I do hear the difference, but not much, mostly in the buzzing of strings, it might be just that Im still not good at it, so I cant really appreciate the quality if the sound.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:42 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:Hello, here are my December 2015 submissions:
Scale of E minor

Youtube

Arpeggi Di Tre Note

Youtube

Carulli Valse

Youtube

There are some minor mistakes like not alternating right hand fingers and plucking more strings than necessary with the thumb.

Andrei... Sound great to me ! ... Hope one day to be able to play as fast as you and with such confidence.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 8:58 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Congrats on your new guitar. In the arpeggio piece, why you moved your whole hand when plucking with the thumb? You didn't do that on the second piece. In general, you should keep your hand sturdy and only move the finger when plucking a note. In some of the threads in the public forum, the discussions go even further such as 60% of the movement from knuckle, 35% from middle joint, 5% from tip joint, or something crazy like that.

Thanks Chu... Have no clue why I did it on the first and not on the second piece.... Good thing you mentioned it, need to correct asap bc I might be doing it often. Keeping track of all variables is not easy to achieve: Melody, dynamics, muting, correct left hand pressure, right hand figering and hand movement :chaud: among others.... as per the percentages, you said it, crazy stuff !....i wont even go there.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:27 pm

....had forgotten to upload the scale

Youtube
Edna Lopez

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:30 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "VALSE" video link.Even after month of practice,could not achieved a modest presentation.Instead of staying away,I decided to post it with errors,mistakes. :(

Youtube

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:05 am

For the second bass note in the third section (measure 18), I think you play A instead of D. In this piece, the bass note is also the chord for the measure (measure 18 is D major chord).

In the second section, for the fretting hand, you can use "guiding finger" to help moving from one chord to the next. From measure 9 to 10, (1) will be your guiding finger. Instead of lifting (1) off G#, then land it on A, you glide (1) from G# to A with the finger on the string the whole time. This helps in two ways. First, you only need to land (2) on C# not both (1) and (2) like you did. Second, keeping the finger on the string help to stabilize your hand. From measure 10 to 11, you glide (2) from C# to D. Similarly for the next few measures. Check how prof. Delcamp did it in his clip.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Hi Chu Bun,
Thanks,
I realize,your comments are directed towards me.Please write first my name.In subject,write the name of study assignment you are referring to or commenting for.
1.yes, I, played "A" instead of "D" base note in measure 18.Mistake.
2.Yes,measure 9 and 10 left hand index finger(1) to slide from G# to A note over string (3). Keeping finger (1) as guide help me smooth transition from fret 10 to fret 11.In fret 11,B note with ring(3),D note with middle (2) as per music sheet.In measure 11,Yes middle finger(2) will slide from C# to D note and ring finger(3) at fret 4 over B note .Yes,index finger(1) used again as guide and slide from fret 11 back to 10 and 9. Good suggestion.
3.Yes,I watch and listen Mr.Delcamp video mostly to understand melody. It takes away my attention and focus due to two reasons.
a.At the beginning large size white color credit cards appear with his name and title covering the area where I focused my eyes and break that attention.
b.For me it is difficult to see Mr Delcamp left hand fast playing video and try to find out or analyze finger combinations and frets.

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:26 am

Zafar,
Sorry for forgetting to mention your name. About watching clips, you may want to focus on parts that you have the most problems with.

Farid Yousefi

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Postby Farid Yousefi » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Edna Lopez wrote:
Youtube

Youtube

Thanks for watching and commenting.
String muting, quite challenging.

Hi edna
Well playing , pay attention to string muttingright and also right hand so do to stroke with just one finger ( finger a) .
And the sound is like your nail is very short.
Camps CL20 cedar
Manuel Rodriguez FC cedar

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Postby Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:52 pm

Hello everyone, :bye:
here is my task for this month. Hope that all of us keep progressing in new year.
I wish you all Happy New Year.
See you next year
Teodora.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:51 pm

Hi, Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic,
Happy holidays,happy new year to all.
Well done,
I listen to all study assignments.Difficult to view video as is.It is still dark and misfocus.
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.
poor video,normal audio,poor lighting,good posture.Keep posting your assignments.

Farid Yousefi

Postby Farid Yousefi » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
Must play Carulli arpegio continuously.
You play da-da-da silent da-da-da , but must play da-da-da,da-da-da.
Camps CL20 cedar
Manuel Rodriguez FC cedar

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”