D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:25 pm

Yes and they are harmonics (in case you hadn't noticed the diamond shaped notes.). I just use my pinky to touch the strings, rather than 4 & 3.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:54 pm

Novelette: Yes the only newly played notes are the 12th fret harmonics of E and G. :bye:

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Thu Mar 24, 2016 11:26 pm

Here are my submissions for lesson 4.

Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) NOVELETTE n°3 à Alexandra

Youtube

Niccolò PAGANINI (1782-1840) GHIRIBIZZO 24

Youtube

Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) SCALES n. 14 LA mineur

Youtube

ANONYME (1500) SCARBOROUGH FAIR

Youtube

Addendum: I do realize that my tempo and dynamics aren't up to par. I have found that the recommended practice time - which I'm already exceeding by about 50% - is just enough for me to memorize the notes (well, almost - Paganini still required some looking in the first few lines) and to start to get some sense of the rhythm of the piece. Significantly more time would be needed to really master them.

There's also the matter of choosing the right tool for the job. I have been playing my Cordoba C1 3/4 (48mm nut / 615 scale), which really helps my inflexible fingers make some of the reaches I encounter from time to time, such as in Novelette (the reaches from the first fret to the fourth in a few places) and with the Paganini piece (that 2 fret reach from 5th string B - B2 - with the LH finger 2 to the 3rd string B - B3- with finger 4 - very difficult for me even on the 615 mm scale). Sometimes there's a vertical reach that the string spacing from the 48mm nut helps with. But most of the time I kind of wish I had the string spacing of the 52/650 guitar. Both LH and RH feel like they're much more able to avoid hitting an adjacent string. I could just use that 52/650 and put a capo at the first fret (which turns it into a 52/613.5), but that obviously has a couple downsides - the need to change fret markers (I do rely on them, unabashedly), and the annoyance of having the "effective" 12th fret past the point where the neck joins the body. As if the scale here wasn't tough enough!

Briefly I owned a 50/630 guitar, the Cordoba Dolce. Beautiful guitar, sounded nice, but it came with a bit of fret sprout (likely to worsen over time at my house), and my fingers didn't adapt to the scale that well. It was strange. I could more easily go from my 52/650 standard full size guitar to my 48/603 Rover travel guitar, than I could to this 50/630 one. It was a "tweener" in that sense. And the 630 scale didn't really help me enough in terms of reaches for it to be worth my while "giving up" a bit of string spacing.

I have read Alicia Penk-Kopstein's The Healthy Guitar and from her recommended measures, it does appear I should be in the shorter scale range. But I guess I do wonder whether I should reconsider the capo 1 idea, despite its difficulties. I forget how much she addressed string spacing. I'll have to re-read it - perhaps I should periodically do that anyway as my hands change with age.

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Hi Carl. Nice scale.

You have the feel down for the Novelette. And the notes. It will get more fluid with practice. One item to check is your rhythm in the very first measure, and elsewhere it repeats similarly. Take note of the dotted quarter note in the base. It should count: 1 2+3+ with the B and G sounding on 2. and the G A~B on +3+. I know you are working on just getting the notes right but also pay attention to the dynamics and the rallentando's. I really love this piece and added it to the other two Novelettes to my rep to play as a group.

Good job on the Ghiribizzo, my least favorite of this group. You played the notes correctly and the timing was generally good, except for pauses of memory. You seemed to miss the grace notes in measures 2 and 5.

Scarborough Fair was great, all the correct notes, good tempo and rhythm. When you know it better you will eliminate the hesitations and play it more flowing. I also added this to my permanent collection to keep current. As JFD says, it is therapeutic to play this piece. Also one that most people know, so they enjoy hearing it.

Good work!
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”