D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Zafar Haq » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:04 pm

Hi, AndreiO ,
Thanks,
Hope,you will post your study assignments.

AndreiO

Post by AndreiO » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:45 am

:merci: :merci: I am a guitar maker and for me is very difficult to have nails, because I can scratch my guitars when I apply shellac in French polish methods.I try to study without nails... but also I need more time. :oops:
:bravo:

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Jan 13, 2016 9:57 am

Hi classmates,
Here are my submissions. Sorry, couldn't record videos this time. I didn't realize there was a change in time signature in Simple Alternation 2 and thought they were 2 exercises instead.
Lesson 5 - Polyphony 1.mp3

Lesson 5 - Polyphony 2.mp3

Lesson 5 - leccion 1.mp3

Lesson 5 - Alternations 1.mp3

Lesson 5 - Alternations 2.mp3

Lesson 5 - Alternations 3.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:14 pm

Hi, Cao Nguyen,
Well done.Good sound quality.Good fast tempo,Rhythm, melody.
Regarding,Study assignment Polyphonie 1,check Rhythm,whole, notes, half notes seems to me taken like quarter notes and it all over instantly in short bursts. I myself a slow player. May I'm not immune to fast playing.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:46 pm

Moderator note - multi-part lesson merged with other part here

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:40 am

Hi Zafar
Your play are Very good. good tempo,Rhythm.
Actually the slow practice is the best way to study guitar.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:49 am

Hi classmate
I have some problems about the Polyphonie -polyphony, how to practice that play D and the finger m or i at the same time, because the P and the m or i rest on the string 3rd and 2nd, and I paly it not at the same time, alway early or late.Is there any good methods to practice? Thank you guide.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:10 am

Hello Moderator
In the Leccion 1, at 11 and 14 bar, is the" \p damp " mean use finger P paly the B and D then rest the P on the string 6th and 5th to damp the previous sound? is it first paly then damp or first damp then play? and the teacher use the contrast way to display different tone, first put the right hand near the bridge then above the soundhole, and in the second paly at 14 bar,use slow speed, is there any guide to know when we can use the way to paly the song, or just according to somebody's will, or according to the song display? Thank you guide!

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:30 am

Hello Moderator

In the Donne-Moi la fleur, at bar 2 the two "D" is half note, and plus the quartered note B is 5 beat, not 3/4 in a bar, and in the video , the teacher paly the first D a little long, the second D almost can't hear, then play the B, Could you explain it, cause I have little knowledge about music theory. Thank you guide. :merci:

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Jan 14, 2016 12:01 pm

Hi, Angela Zhao,
Thank you for your kind encouraging words for my study assignments.I'm happy,you are progressing very well.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:42 pm

Hi Angela

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
I have some problems about the Polyphonie -polyphony, how to practice that play D and the finger m or i at the same time, because the P and the m or i rest on the string 3rd and 2nd, and I paly it not at the same time, alway early or late.Is there any good methods to practice? Thank you guide.

Try playing with a higher wrist and flexible tip joints. With practice, it will come.

Angela Zhao wrote:Hello Moderator
In the Leccion 1, at 11 and 14 bar, is the" \p damp " mean use finger P paly the B and D then rest the P on the string 6th and 5th to damp the previous sound? is it first paly then damp or first damp then play? Thank you guide!

Here you first play, then damp. This method will maintain a legato sound between the bass notes. If you want a staccato effect, first damp, then play.

Angela Zhao wrote:and the teacher use the contrast way to display different tone, first put the right hand near the bridge then above the soundhole, and in the second paly at 14 bar,use slow speed, is there any guide to know when we can use the way to paly the song, or just according to somebody's will, or according to the song display?

Generally, when there are repeated phrases, you shouldn't play all the same but use small variations to contrast them. Mr. Delcamp's way of playing is only one interpretation of the tone. You can try your own. Singing the melody is a good way to determine the dynamics and the mood of the musical phrases.

In the Donne-Moi la fleur, at bar 2 the two "D" is half note, and plus the quartered note B is 5 beat, not 3/4 in a bar, and in the video , the teacher paly the first D a little long, the second D almost can't hear, then play the B, Could you explain it, cause I have little knowledge about music theory. Thank you guide. :merci:

There are two voices in this song (polyphony). The bass notes with downward stem are of an independent voice and you should play them with your thumb. Both voices go on their own, strictly in 3/4 time signature. At measure 2, the high half D and the quarter B are of one voice (the melody, 3 beats). The quarter rest and low half D are of the other voice (the bass accompaniment, also 3 beats). You skip the rest and play the low D at the second beat.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:31 am

Hello Cao Nguyen

Thank you guide me!
You answer are very useful, let me understand how to do.

There are two voices in this song (polyphony). The bass notes with downward stem are of an independent voice and you should play them with your thumb. Both voices go on their own, strictly in 3/4 time signature. At measure 2, the high half D and the quarter B are of one voice (the melody, 3 beats). The quarter rest and low half D are of the other voice (the bass accompaniment, also 3 beats). You skip the rest and play the low D at the second beat.

Maybe I haven't understand, "The quarter rest and low half D are of the other voice (the bass accompaniment, also 3 beats). You skip the rest and play the low D at the second beat", how to play the low half D? First play the high half D and the quatter B then play the low half D, but in next bar there is low half D,that mean do not play the low half D in bar 2 but 3? is that right? Thank you very much! :merci:

And there is another question,in Leccion 1, at bar 9, in the box, is that mean play the E sound in whole bar (keep the left hand finger 3 on the sting)then beofer paly the next bar let the finger 3 free, but how to damp with finger P ? thank you!

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:44 am

In the Leccion 1, at 11 and 14 bar, is the" \p damp " mean use finger P paly the B and D then rest the P on the string 6th and 5th to damp the previous sound? is it first paly then damp or first damp then play? and the teacher use the contrast way to display different tone, first put the right hand near the bridge then above the soundhole, and in the second paly at 14 bar,use slow speed, is there any guide to know when we can use the way to paly the song, or just according to somebody's will, or according to the song display? Thank you guide!

Damping Question in measures 11 & 14:
The damping symbol that looks like a flower means to dampen the preceding note that is in the same voice range. For example in measure 11 the damp symbol is positioned underneath the A bass note and there is a line pointing out a preceding E bass line note in measure 10. After playing the notes in measure 10 dampen the E Bass note just before playing the A bass note in measure 11. Notice that the dampening symbol also indicates to use (p) the thumb. This is because it will be easy to dampen the open E bass with the side of the thumb as it is next to the open A bass note. This dampening technique is useful for dampening open string notes that can tend to ring out and sustain for durations longer than called for and produce dissonances with other musical phrases. The same principal applies for measure 14 D bass note and the preceding A bass note in measure 13.

Maestro Delcamp's tone/timbre contrast:
Cao mentioned a general rule of thumb that is introduced to students with respect to repeated sections of music and using expression techniques to vary the music, give it life, and make it more interesting to listen to and play.

In the Cano-Curriella Leccion #1 video, Mr. Delcamp does use some tone/timbre variation to contrast the sections of music that is repeated. He first plays in standard position, plucking hand near the soundhole, then plays the repeated section above the soundhole just over the fingerboard, also called 'sul tasto'. One could also play the repeated section with a thinner/brighter sound holding the plucking hand close to the bridge, also called 'ponticello'. Another variation could be to vary between ponticello, sul tasto and standard position based on taste and the guitarists interpretation and imagination. These techniques you can develop and refine over time.

Generally speaking, if a musical score has no expression markings, the interpreter has some leeway in executing a tasteful, expressive, and perhaps memorable rendition :-)

If the composer has indicated expressive markings, then there's some valid reasons to follow them :-)
Imagine listening to the introduction to Beethoven's 5th symphony without any of the dynamic volume variations and strict rests/dampening between the bass, treble, and upper voices. Imagine a monotone same volume delivery, it would not sound as interesting and powerful.

Experienced musicians are known to inject some of their personality and style into a piece. You can listen to two different professional musicians playing/singing the same piece of music and detecting some or major differences in expression or phrasing.

Keep in mind, this lesson primarily focuses on rest stroke and finger alternation, but some of the exercises employ expression such as dynamics/volume variation (Polyphony) and rhythmic/tempo variation (Donne-Moi La Fluer)

All of these expression techniques are early building blocks and exercises that will be in your expression toolbox (tone/timbre, dynamics, rhythm, harmonic, melodic ) to continue developing and using in your musical interpretations. Future lessons will continue to build and add more depth in these areas.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:03 am

The piece is in 3/4 time or 3 quarter note beats per measure. The half-notes are worth 2 beats.
In measure 2, the high D (half-note) is played and held for two beats, the lower D (half-note) is played on beat 2 and held for two beats, then the B is played on beat 3.

Maestro Delcamp appears to be playing some of the bass notes extra soft or pianissimo and allowing the upper melody to stand out more here and there. Generally speaking the melody voice is always played louder than the accompaniment voices, unless there are alternate compositional markings in the score.

There can be pieces with melody lines in upper, lower, or several voices such as a fugue or canon.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Jan 15, 2016 7:00 am

Hello Moderator

Thank you very much, give me so many guides, these knowledge are very important for me, before that I never notice the melody line, every notes almost with same pitch, so my song likes plain water. :oops:
And want to do these isn't easy things ,it's still need more practice.
Thank you again! :merci:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”