D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Colin Bullock

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:18 am

Andrei Puhach wrote: Thank you, Colin, for your response.
I think right RH finger damping should be used here. It is more challenging, but remember, we did a similar exercise? Moreover, it sounds much better when notes overlap a little bit than when there is an inevitable gap when doing LH damping.
Andrei
As Chu says, well spotted. Not sure I would have noticed particularly as it is quite subtle.
Yes, I remember the exercises - where we rock the fingers between the strings, play, mute, play, mute.
I'm still slightly surprised it isn't notated specifically. I'll try it the way you suggest - when I get there!

Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:30 am

My submissions for this month. As the class progresses, it takes me more and more time to complete the assignments. Soon it will be a full time job!
Please give comments. Thanks.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:16 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this month. As the class progresses, it takes me more and more time to complete the assignments. Soon it will be a full time job!
Please give comments. Thanks.
Excellent performance. I like the way you are putting in dynamics in a very natural way. Can't comment on technique as I haven't started these yet.

How long are you spending on practice?
I'm managing aabout 5 days a week, between 20 and 40 mins each session. The pieces are more difficult to get to a performance standard in that time so I probably need to get more hours in.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:10 pm

Colin,

Thank you for your comments.

It takes me around two hours to learn a piece and another hour of trying to get a good clip. The latest pieces took about double the time. I did the dampings with the fretting hand originally, and had to redo it after Andrei pointing out that the profs. using his plucking hand.

By the way, many of the dampings are done using i/m/a fingers, I don't remember doing that in the previous lessons. It's quite confusing, and maybe a new skill that you want to learn.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Jan 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Thanks Chu, it's taking me longer to get a piece smooth enough to record, but I'm trying to minimise retakes. False starts are my main problem.
Chu Bun wrote: By the way, many of the dampings are done using i/m/a fingers, I don't remember doing that in the previous lessons. It's quite confusing, and maybe a new skill that you want to learn.
I don't remember this either. Confusing with lack of indication on the music.
I don't like looking at the video until I've run through once or twice, but I will certainly need to watch closely from now on.
I've been trying other damping techniques as suggested by John Montes, I suppose this is a good time to experiment!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Chu Bun wrote: It takes me around two hours to learn a piece and another hour of trying to get a good clip.
No way! Is it possible to do that so fast? Just ~2 hours to learn a piece? Wow!
Cordoba C9

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:10 pm

Interesting subject.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Chu Bun wrote: It takes me around two hours to learn a piece and another hour of trying to get a good clip.
No way! Is it possible to do that so fast? Just ~2 hours to learn a piece? Wow!
Never Mind the Bollocks

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Wed Jan 20, 2016 5:26 pm

By "Learn" I meant read from the score and play with some fluency at low speed, which I can usually do after a number of tries. For example, below is Danse Polonaise (not a required submission so I have not previously tried it) after 30 mins. Next I'll watch the Prof's clip and try to sound like him. On the next day, I'll spend an hour working on difficult measures. And on the following day, I'll practice with the camera on until I get a good take. On a lucky day, it can be 10-15 mins. On a bad day, 2-3 hours (50+ takes are not unusual).

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:43 pm

Chu Bun wrote:By "Learn" I meant read from the score and play with some fluency at low speed, which I can usually do after a number of tries. For example, below is Danse Polonaise (not a required submission so I have not previously tried it) after 30 mins. Next I'll watch the Prof's clip and try to sound like him. On the next day, I'll spend an hour working on difficult measures. And on the following day, I'll practice with the camera on until I get a good take. On a lucky day, it can be 10-15 mins. On a bad day, 2-3 hours (50+ takes are not unusual).

Youtube
Impressive! And that's just after 30 mins? You are a fast learner :)

By the way, as of your primary submission: very good as usual. May be some emotion could be added to Andante Affettuoso by _slightly_ varying tempo and durations. It sounds spotless but... a bit mechanical?
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:57 am

Here is my Lesson 05 submission.

Scale of C major with crescendo and decrescendo:

Youtube

Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Youtube

Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO

Youtube

Probably this one is played too fast... "Andante" means "in a moderately slow tempo".
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:02 am

OK, I decided to play ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO again, this time slower, with more emotion.

Youtube
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:04 pm

Chu Bun wrote:By "Learn" I meant read from the score and play with some fluency at low speed, which I can usually do after a number of tries. For example, below is Danse Polonaise (not a required submission so I have not previously tried it) after 30 mins. Next I'll watch the Prof's clip and try to sound like him. On the next day, I'll spend an hour working on difficult measures. And on the following day, I'll practice with the camera on until I get a good take. On a lucky day, it can be 10-15 mins. On a bad day, 2-3 hours (50+ takes are not unusual).
Thanks Chu, it's useful to see different practice techniques.
Like you I try sight reading before watching Prof's video, but your sight reading is a lot better than mine.
Excellent results in short time.
Andrei Puhach wrote:Here is my Lesson 05 submission.
Very good, no negative comments. I like the alternating volume changes on repeated phrases, it sounds very natural.
Both versions of the Andate sound good, slight preference for the second.

I'm about to start on these after the weekend.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:42 pm

Hi, Chu Bun,
Well done.Enjoyed listening and watching your study assignments.Good right hand,Left hand coordination, finger control,good right hand finger walking technique.Good right hand thumb movement on base notes.
Good tempo,good rhythm,melody.
Good video,audio,lighting,posture.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:58 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Well done.Enjoyed listening and watching your study assignments.Good right hand,Left hand coordination, finger control,good right hand finger walking technique.Good echo effect playing the same measure more softer in study assignment "ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44"
Study assignment "ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO" both faster tempo and moderately slower tempo sounded good to me. :)
What do you mean by attempt# 4.
Can you record and produce a video showing, how you begin your practice from the start and progress until ready to record for presentation.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:43 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Well done.Enjoyed listening and watching your study assignments.Good right hand,Left hand coordination, finger control,good right hand finger walking technique.Good echo effect playing the same measure more softer in study assignment "ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44"
Study assignment "ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO" both faster tempo and moderately slower tempo sounded good to me. :)
What do you mean by attempt# 4.
Hi Zafar, thanks you such a nice feedback!
Attempt #4 means that this is my 4th uploaded Affettuoso Youtube video. It does not mean I only did 4 takes, there were muuuuuuuch more to produce a more or less mistake-free recording, maybe 50.
Here is my 'attempt #2' with a different guitar and at a different place:

Youtube

Zafar Haq wrote:Can you record and produce a video showing, how you begin your practice from the start and progress until ready to record for presentation.
Oh, not sure if that's going to be interesting. In fact that's very boring. First, I try to play the whole thing _somehow_ (without right fingerings and damps). Next, I start working on each measure or 2-3 measure blocks separately, repeating them over and over, trying to get them right. At this point it does not make sense to play the entire piece, working on small blocks in isolation is much more effective. Then, as Chu Bun mentioned, it is a good idea to focus on the _last_ part of the piece. Starting from this step the process is not that structured :) Just getting right and repeating difficult fragments, paying attention to the correct fingering (trying NOT to get any wrong habit at this point). Then I think for better efficiency it is good to do this for a couple of days or even weeks. May be it is possible to learn a piece in one day, but that leads to an inevitable un-learning very fast (I mean you simply forget it) :)

I think Chu Bun has much more effective ways to study and he already provided some recommendations.
Cordoba C9

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”