D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Zafar Haq » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Hi, Andrei Puhach,
Thanks for explaining your method of tackling a study assignment piece from beginning to finally recorded and presented.It is not boring for me or anybody else watching to know how other students prepare themself.You and Chu Bun are both presenting assignments showing better playability with confidence.I do my practice from the beginning of the month still lacking behind.

EDIT:
Here is a link for learning a musical piece in seven steps.
I will watch these steps.
https://www.classicalguitarshed.com/7steps/

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:44 am

Thank you guys for your comments. I'll try to be less mechanic, but that won't be easy. I remember my piano teacher told me "what you are doing is hitting the keys, not playing music".

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 am

Andrei,

Your pieces are well done as usual. I likes the improvements shown in the posts of the Andante piece. Here are a few things I see when compared your Andante piece with the prof's. Your whole hand moved when plucking with "p" especially when playing consecutive notes (eg. second half of measure 5). Louder sound at end of each section (eg. quarter notes in the "fine" measure). When damping with your a/m in measure 14-16 somehow your finger nail touched a vibrating string and made a buzzing sound. I have not watched your Sor's piece carefully, but it seems you did not have this buzzing problem in that piece.

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:24 pm

Bravo Andrei on your performanses.
Each of them was different in tempo but has your personal touch.You play very relax and it is a real pleasure to listen you.
Teodora.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Jan 25, 2016 4:47 am

Chu Bun wrote:Andrei,

Your pieces are well done as usual. I likes the improvements shown in the posts of the Andante piece. Here are a few things I see when compared your Andante piece with the prof's. Your whole hand moved when plucking with "p" especially when playing consecutive notes (eg. second half of measure 5). Louder sound at end of each section (eg. quarter notes in the "fine" measure). When damping with your a/m in measure 14-16 somehow your finger nail touched a vibrating string and made a buzzing sound. I have not watched your Sor's piece carefully, but it seems you did not have this buzzing problem in that piece.
Chu, thank you for your constructive feedback! Agree, moving the whole hand is not good. Will take that into account next time. Actually, I did not even realize I did it :)
Ah, that buzzing sound, sorry for that :) That was a mistake, I was not able to sustain these 'm'/'a' alternate damps...
Sor's piece was easier: there were no cases when you had to play with the same finger which just did a mute.
Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic wrote: Bravo Andrei on your performanses.
Each of them was different in tempo but has your personal touch.You play very relax and it is a real pleasure to listen you.
Teodora.
Thank you, Teodora, for your kind words :)
Cordoba C9

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Hello everybody

In bar 15 and 16 (Allegretto) I used my thumb to damp, but I guess it wasnt the best idea because it was not easy to maintain speed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:58 pm

Hello!
Sorry I'm so late this month!
Adante:

Youtube

Allegretto:

Youtube

C major:

Youtube

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:14 pm

Chu,
Your posture and hand positions are great! How do you rest your guitar? Are you using a footstool?
All submissions sound very good. I think you only need to work on some damping for some bass notes with your right thumb in the longer piece

Nathanael Benassi

Post by Nathanael Benassi » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:18 pm

Bert,
Allegretto sounded good but I think you may be playing some wrong notes in Bar 17-21. Otherwise nice sound and emotion.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:28 am

Nathanael,

Thank you for your comments. I use a guitar support similar to the one used by the prof. I find it much more comfortable than a footstool.

You probably play or used to play an electric or steel string guitar. It will be difficult to make clean sounds using the same plucking and fretting techniques on a nylon string guitar. You may want compare the way your thumb and your i/m/a pluck a string. When you look closely, your thumb pushes the string down, then when it moves pass the string, the string bounds up and makes the sound. Whereas your i/p/m pull the string up, then let it slips down at an angle to make the sound. The result is one makes a clear and clean sound, when the others make a thin and buzzing one. Try to position your right hand so whether you play free or rest stroke, the string will move the same way (bound up and vibrate near vertical, not slip down and vibrate at an angle). Similarly, on your fretting hand, your (1) and (2) press down and near vertical, but your (3) and (4) at angle and flat.

Bert Stendahl

Post by Bert Stendahl » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:50 pm

Well done. Your right hand looks a bit clenched.
Nathanael Benassi wrote:Hello!
Sorry I'm so late this month!
Never Mind the Bollocks

Alma Wistara

Post by Alma Wistara » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:52 am

Hi classmates, finally I caught up with the lessons.

Scales in C Major
Looks easier than it actually is. Took many tries to even get the alternating m & a correct, plus damping only with either of those two fingers. It's like playing hopscotch.

Youtube

Andante Affettuoso
Arguably the easiest of the three homework assignments. Slipped up in a couple of places. :desole:

Youtube

Sor's Allegretto No 2 Opus 44
I have done this piece in the past, but without much regard to right hand fingering and damping. It feels like learning it from scratch and it's another one that is not as easy as it looks.

Youtube

Thank you for watching and commenting!

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:29 pm

Hi, Bert Stendahl,
Well done.
Study assignment "ALLEGRETTO" measure 1 to 14 fast tempo,measure 15 to 24 slightly slow down.Good effort,Keep practice.
Audio level audible.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:40 pm

Hi,Nathanael Benassi,
Well done,
Watched,listen all the study assignments.
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.Good left hand right hand coordination.
Good audio,video,lighting,posture.No metallic sound heard.Which I indicated for the past two months.You did some effort to improve this effect.Right hand is not in frame.

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:52 pm

Hi, Alma Wistara,
Indeed you caught up with the class.
Welcome.
As you said,some slips here and there.I feel you are tense.Index and pinky of right hand stay straight instead of curved with the rest of fingers.Best solution,just relax.Enjoy your effort.I admire your hard work achieving results so far.
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.
Good audio,video,posture ( for posture I will advice you to place your camera at a position further towards your left hand or you turn yourself covering both hands in camera frame.)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”