D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Alma Wistara
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Alma Wistara » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:33 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Alma Wistara,
Indeed you caught up with the class.
Welcome.
As you said,some slips here and there.I feel you are tense.Index and pinky of right hand stay straight instead of curved with the rest of fingers.Best solution,just relax.Enjoy your effort.I admire your hard work achieving results so far.
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.
Good audio,video,posture ( for posture I will advice you to place your camera at a position further towards your left hand or you turn yourself covering both hands in camera frame.)

Hi Zafar, thank you for your kind words and constructive feedback. You are totally right, I was half amused to realise the recording of the C scale ended up with my RH making a 'metal' sign. I need to do a lot of work with apoyando technique. I barely learned it when I took guitar lessons a few years ago. I realise there is a lot of emphasis for it in this course (and also for damping), and for good reason. This should be part of the foundation and become like second nature. If not practiced early it will probably not be properly learned at all as more exciting things happen.

Alma Wistara

Post by Alma Wistara » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:27 am

Nathanael Benassi wrote:Hello!
Sorry I'm so late this month!

Hi Nathanael, I just watched your recordings. Great accuracy and rhythm. If I may make some minor suggestions:

Andante Affettuoso: I notice for measures 14, 15, 16 (the alternating D# and E wtih dampings), you damp by lifting your LH finger off the string. Would think that using RH damping will sound better here. It's discussed earlier in this class by Andrei and I agree with his reasoning.

Allegretto: The repeat phrases (e.g. Measures 1-2 & 3-4, 9-10 & 11-12) perhaps can be done slightly differently, like loudly the first time round and softly the second time, or played closer to the bridge to alter the tone, to give the song some colour and playfulness (as in Mr Delcamp's video).

Alma Wistara

Post by Alma Wistara » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:46 am

Bert Stendahl wrote:Hello everybody

In bar 15 and 16 (Allegretto) I used my thumb to damp, but I guess it wasnt the best idea because it was not easy to maintain speed.

Hi Bert, I just listened to your Allegretto recording. It is pleasant to listen to and done with great musical expression. Some small comment, in measure 17, seems that the last note you played C instead of B (it just sounds different from what I thought it should sound like). In measures 16-19 also it feels that you slowed down a lot compared to the previous part. Is this the part that you mention above, as you're using the thumb to damp? I was troubled by the dampings here too. In the end, I 'cheated' and used an apoyando thumb stroke to damp the G string (measure 17) and the left hand finger for the D string (measure 18). :lol:

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:46 pm

Hello everybody :bye:
here is my task for january. See you all next month.
Bye :bye:
Teodora

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:41 pm

Hi, Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic,
Listen to all the study assignments.
Very good effort to play with out breaking.Few small finger touchings here there.
Keep your practice alive,hope for the best.Same for me.

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic

Post by Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Thu Feb 04, 2016 10:48 pm

Hello Zafar.
Thanks for watching my videos. Also I want to thank you for the words of encouragement. I always have problem with recording myself. I am very nervouse when I play for anybody so my concentration is not good enough to lead me to the end of the composition. My endings are always discssable. So I am working on that. Hope to hear your work soon.
Teodora

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Fri Feb 05, 2016 9:05 am

Hi classmate
This is my assignment
Joseph MEISSONNIER (1790-1855) ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO

Youtube

page 76 number 13 Scale of C major

Youtube

Fernando SOR (1778-1839) ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Youtube

:merci:

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:59 am

Hi, Angela Zhao,
quite clean and confident performances!
But looks like you don't do all necessary damps, especially right hand (say, in Sor's Allegretto).
Also, you move your whole right hand when plucking strings with your thumb in ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO. It should be more more or less steady. I did the same mistake, so that's why I noticed :)
Next, I like your Scale of C major, sounds very clean. But I think on the descending passage you forgot to alternate 'm' and 'a' fingers sometimes (when crossing strings). Also, when approaching the peak it looks like you play twice with the 'm' finger. I think it is very important to alternate when playing scales.
Other than that it is great job!

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:30 am

Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic wrote: I always have problem with recording myself. I am very nervouse when I play for anybody so my concentration is not good enough to lead me to the end of the composition.

So true!
An interesting thing is that recording is much easier than playing in front of real people but still it "stimulates" us to make stupid mistakes. Just imagine how bad it could be when trying to play for someone you know (or don't know) for the first time: you heart is pounding, hands shaking etc. I remember that feeling :) But 2nd and 3rd times were much better! Just need to warm up properly. I'm lucky enough to have a music room with a guitar at my work, so I can ask some of my colleagues to listen to my playing :) Ideally, when I feel that a piece is learned I'd like to play it it someone at least once (but I don't really follow this idea yet since no piece is ever learned completely). I think that's a great stress test. Once passed you'll be able to play it well in front of a larger audience.
So, what I mean here that sooner or later we'll probably play for other people. It is better to start getting used to it early.

As of your submission: solid work, but in Andante all damps are ignored.
The end of Affettuoso is very intriguing :)

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:11 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:Hi, Angela Zhao,
quite clean and confident performances!
But looks like you don't do all necessary damps, especially right hand (say, in Sor's Allegretto).
Also, you move your whole right hand when plucking strings with your thumb in ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO. It should be more more or less steady. I did the same mistake, so that's why I noticed :)
Next, I like your Scale of C major, sounds very clean. But I think on the descending passage you forgot to alternate 'm' and 'a' fingers sometimes (when crossing strings). Also, when approaching the peak it looks like you play twice with the 'm' finger. I think it is very important to alternate when playing scales.
Other than that it is great job!

Hi Andrei
Thank you watch carefully and give me many advises!
You are right, I can't damp all necessary note and when change string,my finger forget alternate, that why my basic skill not good.
It's need more practice, I still paly this song now, and hope I can do as the score required.
Thank you again! :merci:

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:46 pm

My submissions

Scale of C major

Youtube

ANDANTE AFFETTUOSO

Youtube

Had to relearn this one as I got the fingering wrong 1st time
ALLEGRETTO N°2 opus 44

Youtube

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:21 am

Colin,

Good works. Maybe a bit more practice to bring it up to speed. You also needed to do the repeats (notated by a "colon" and two vertical lines). Lastly, you may want to rotate your fretting hand a little bit to keep your fingers more parallel to the frets. The ring and pinky fingers will be closer to the fretboard and can reach a note easier.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Feb 20, 2016 8:48 am

Chu Bun wrote:Colin,

Good works. Maybe a bit more practice to bring it up to speed. You also needed to do the repeats (notated by a "colon" and two vertical lines). Lastly, you may want to rotate your fretting hand a little bit to keep your fingers more parallel to the frets. The ring and pinky fingers will be closer to the fretboard and can reach a note easier.

Thank Chu.
In hurry to catch up I left out the repeats.
The last piece I had to redo the fingering which took time so I'm quite interested in the discussion in lesson 6, which I'm just about to start.
Will watch LH.
Hopefully I'll get lesson 6 done before end of month ....... Hopefully!

Jose Ramon Martinez

Post by Jose Ramon Martinez » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:35 am

Hello classmates:
Here is my late submission for this lesson.
Hope someone has a chance to watch and share comments.

Thanks.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Jose Ramon Martinez wrote:Hello classmates:
Here is my late submission for this lesson.
Hope someone has a chance to watch and share comments.

Thanks.

Hi Jose, all 3 lessons sound great! Nice and clean performance. Thanks for great audio quality!
Minor concern: In Andante Affettuoso it is not clear whether you always do RH finger alterations properly.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”