D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:57 pm

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
These exercises will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
The rest stroke is a way to play the string with a finger movement which plucks the string and then continues to move until it comes to rest on the adjacent string. Working on this technique will allow you to discover the best position for your plucking hand (the right hand if you are right-handed).
If you are already used to plucking the strings with free strokes, the simultaneous rest strokes with the thumb and a finger will seem difficult to you, even impossible. But be assured, with patience and perseverence, this difficulty will be resolved in 30 minutes. I know from experience that the first tries are truly discouraging, particularly for adults. It is for this reason that I wish to reassure you in advance, take heart, you will be able to do it.
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Scales in third, number 6. (Free stroke)
Page 58 : Jean-François Delcamp - Rest stroke, number 16. (Rest stroke)

Youtube

Youtube

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

Finally, we'll look at 3 tunes, pages 30 to 32. These tunes will work upon the technique of simultaneous rest strokes (apoyando) with the thumb and index finger, and also with the thumb and middle finger.
Anonyme : Ricercar (Rest stroke)
Fernando Sor : Leçon I opus 60 (Rest stroke - Free stroke)
Matteo Carcassi : Exercice opus 59 (Rest stroke)

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
Page 55 : Jean-François Delcamp - Gammes en tierces - Scales in third, numéro 6. (Free stroke)
Anonyme : Ricercar (Rest stroke)
Fernando Sor : Leçon I opus 60 (Rest stroke - Free stroke)

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

Scales in third, numéro 6
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Cao Nguyen
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Zafar Haq
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Angela Zhao
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

David Florea
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Juan Silva
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Jenni Gribble
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Jonathan Lamb
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Salvatore Lovinello
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Lê Vĩnh Hà
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Tom Hayes
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60

Charles Ramcharan
Ricercar
Leçon I opus 60
:( + ♫ = :)

Salvatore Lovinello
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 06

Postby Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:26 pm

I have a few questions. Maestro Decamp seems to be varying his tempo in a few of the songs. Interpretation? Just how much license does one have in that regard?

Don't forget to practise the improvisation exercises from Lesson 7 regularly, so that you'll be ready for the next lesson.

What is the maestro referring too?
Last edited by Salvatore Lovinello on Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:55 pm

Hi everyone. Here are my submissions for this lesson.

Scales in third.mp3

Ricercar.mp3

Sor Lesson 1 opus 60.mp3

Carcassi Exercise opus 59.mp3
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "Scales In Third" video link.It is recorded end of January 2016. :)

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:05 am

Hi, Cao Nguyen,
Well done.
Very pleasant to listen your all study assignments mp3 audio files.
Good tempo,rhythm,melody.
Very good lively sound.It shows your confidence playing these pieces. Well balanced.Good coordination.

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:07 am

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:I have a few questions. Maestro Decamp seems to be varying his tempo in a few of the songs. Interpretation? Just how much license does one have in that regard?

Hi Sal,

It's called rubato and yes, it's pretty much personal interpretation. Rubato is "stolen time", which means you take the time from some part (measures, group of notes) by playing faster, then use that time to play slower in another part or vice-versa. Usually rubato is done within a musical phrase. I've read some musicians insist that the "stolen" or borrowed time must be paid exactly to maintain the rhythm of the piece. Some others are less strict, i.e. some borrowed time can be lost entirely without returning. I lean toward the latter, as long as it still sounds elegantly. It's like a ritardando (rit., Donne-moi La Fleur) or fermata (Old McDonald), where no time compensation is needed. I don't use a metronome much but rely on my internal rhythm to play, so I guess I've stolen a bunch of time!

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:

What is the maestro referring too?

In the next lesson you will be required to post an improvisation piece of music from several notes in a certain amount of time and you should practice by now. You can have a look at the archive of past lessons for more information.

Hi Zafar,

Thanks for the compliments. Actually when practicing I vary the tempo and dynamics more dramatically. The recording button obviously hit some nerve of me so I started to sound more "uniformly". There are some sections I wish I had played slightly differently. I didn't practice the Carcassi Exercise much and needed to sight-read it during the recording.

Salvatore Lovinello

Postby Salvatore Lovinello » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:33 pm

Oh yo Cao,

Thanks for your response. Now I have another question. What is the significance of the roman numeral II and its corresponding symbol on pg 30 in both the scale at the top of the page and in Ricercar? Also a similar symbol roman numeral combination on pg 55 III? I think I understand what to do on pg 55, slide my fingers down to the third fret without taking them off of the strings from the previous two notes. I'm not sure what it means in Ricercar.
Thanks in advance.

Sal

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:36 pm

Hi Sal,

It means the section under the "L" bar is played in the 2nd or 3rd position. In the "default" 1st position, your fingers cover the first 4 frets, starting from the 1st fret. In the 2nd position, you play the notes on the 2nd frets with your index finger and so on. It's a non-standard symbol used for teaching purposes. I've never seen it anywhere.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:26 am

Hi, Classmates,
This is my study assignment "RICERCAR" video link. :)

Youtube

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:08 am

You can think of the symbol as referencing an anchor point/location for the fretting hand indicating which fret the index finger side of the hand should be close to when executing the notated music.

In the Delcamp notation and in other guitar music notation if the letter 'C' appears in front of the Roman numerals it means to create a barre/capo (cejilla in spanish) with the index finger (p2 D01 Workbook).

For example, the sheet music might indicate playing an A minor or major chord/arpeggio, the sheet music might also indicate V or CV indicating to play the notes in 5th position versus using the open A (5th string) and using other notes that are accessible in 1st and 2nd position.

If no 'C' is in front of the Roman numeral, then a barre is not needed necessarily, but the hand would benefit by being in the indicated fret area to play the notes/passage.

I have lot's of guitar sheet music from various publishing houses and do see similar notation from time to time in the music compositions
Some publishers may use arabic numbers instead of roman numerals, or use a 'B' instead of a 'C' to indicate use of the barre/cejilla.

Always seek out the symbol legend/reference if its provided by the publisher, there can be a reference in a Preface section or foot-notes or in the back section
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi classmate,
This is my assignment,thank you!

Scales in third, numéro 6 Free stroke

Youtube

Anonyme Ricercar

Youtube

Fernando Sor Le?on I opus 6

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:39 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "LECON I OPUS 60" video link. :)

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:41 am

Hi, Classmates, Angela Zhao ,
Well done.Good progress.

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:12 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Classmates, Angela Zhao ,
Well done.Good progress.

Hi Zafar
Thank you!
I watch your "study assignment "LECON I OPUS 60" video link"
You right hand's wrist is very close to the soundboard, I think you can to raise your wrist ,then you can easily play the string.(though I'm not good) :D
Just try it! :merci:

Jonathan Lamb

Postby Jonathan Lamb » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:52 am

Hi Sal,

What is the maestro referring to?[/quote]

M. Delcamp is politely reminding us that (1) the pace is quickening :chaud:, so (2) not to get bogged down - by thinking ahead :idea:
I think we started to learn this lesson already, non?

Best,

Jonathan
:casque:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”