D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Edna Lopez
Posts: 99
Joined: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:40 am

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:01 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:Hi There,
Uploading 2 of the assignments.
...
Hi Edna, great work! Good rhythm, tempo. Minor comment: you don't do damps in Ecossaise. There are no damp marks in the sheet music but there are quarter rests in the bass line.
In your improvisation (great!) I noticed that you don't alternate fingers and use 'i' in succession. I did something similar too sometimes :)
Andrei... You are making my life difficult :| ..... Will practice damping the base and upload it again... you are absolutely right ...and as per the i,m,a...so far it's not possible for me to keep track of the right hand fingers and play at the same time... Thanks for the observations, I watched your video, Chu's and the Professor's closer and hear/see the difference... Unconciously I made it simple by letting it ring, but it sounds nicer damped. Edna :)
Edna Lopez

User avatar
Bert Stendahl
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am
Location: Sweden

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Bert Stendahl » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:17 pm

lesson 7 :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:52 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:lesson 7 :D
Hi Bert, you overdone the improvisation assignment :) There are 2 voices. Sounds interesting :)
Your Ecossaise is so fast! But I think Part 1 is a bit faster than Part 2 (where fingers 3 and 4 are used). I liked that you muted bass where necessary in Part 1.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:Musical game
viewtopic.php?f=109&t=102982&start=15#p1099850


ÉCOSSAISE N°10 opus 33
I like this, I think I will polish it for future use

Youtube


improvise using only four notes (D - G - A - B) for 20 seconds

Youtube
Hi Colin, regardless of some minor mistakes your Ecossaise is pretty solid work I think. All necessary rests and slurs are there. Maybe it should be played a bit faster though.
The improvisation melody is pleasure to listen to :) Really nice.
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Andrei Puhach » Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 pm

Edna Lopez wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Edna Lopez wrote:Hi There,
Uploading 2 of the assignments.
...
Hi Edna, great work! Good rhythm, tempo. Minor comment: you don't do damps in Ecossaise. There are no damp marks in the sheet music but there are quarter rests in the bass line.
In your improvisation (great!) I noticed that you don't alternate fingers and use 'i' in succession. I did something similar too sometimes :)
Andrei... You are making my life difficult :| ..... Will practice damping the base and upload it again... you are absolutely right ...and as per the i,m,a...so far it's not possible for me to keep track of the right hand fingers and play at the same time... Thanks for the observations, I watched your video, Chu's and the Professor's closer and hear/see the difference... Unconciously I made it simple by letting it ring, but it sounds nicer damped. Edna :)
Haha, that's the main value of Delcamp Forum I think: to provide and receive constructive feedback (not only encouragements).
As of the right hand fingers I think it can be fixed by playing a lot of scales. But I agree: it is very difficult to keep track of so many things at the same time.
Cordoba C9

User avatar
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:37 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:... As of the right hand fingers I think it can be fixed by playing a lot of scales...
You can try to exaggerate the movements of the fingers, extending your fingers way out before plucking, and all the way in afterward. This will make repeating with the same finger very easy to catch. Do this for a few times then return to the regular movements. Most likely your fingers will "remember" the alternate plucking pattern.

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:23 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:... As of the right hand fingers I think it can be fixed by playing a lot of scales...
You can try to exaggerate the movements of the fingers, extending your fingers way out before plucking, and all the way in afterward. This will make repeating with the same finger very easy to catch. Do this for a few times then return to the regular movements. Most likely your fingers will "remember" the alternate plucking pattern.
+1
I totally support the idea.
Cordoba C9

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:40 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote: Hi Colin, regardless of some minor mistakes your Ecossaise is pretty solid work I think. All necessary rests and slurs are there. Maybe it should be played a bit faster though.
The improvisation melody is pleasure to listen to :) Really nice.
Thanks for the comments. I'm going to do more work on the Ecossaise to bring it up to speed.
I'm hoping to get enough time to practice and polish the exam piece when it arrives. I assume mid April.

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Colin Bullock » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:02 pm

Bert Stendahl wrote:lesson 7 :D
If you can play the Ecossaise at that speed with only a few hesitations it should sound really solid just a notch slower. Well done.

Do you know a way to play mp3 on iPad??

User avatar
Bert Stendahl
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am
Location: Sweden

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:12 pm

That is my idea, if I can play something faster than normal it would be easy at normal speed.
Colin Bullock wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:lesson 7 :D
If you can play the Ecossaise at that speed with only a few hesitations it should sound really solid just a notch slower. Well done.

Do you know a way to play mp3 on iPad??
Never Mind the Bollocks

User avatar
Bert Stendahl
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am
Location: Sweden

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Bert Stendahl » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:27 pm

I noticed that Edna Lopez played B on third string and if I used that B, 2 voices playing seemed like good thing. I guess you recently have washed your ears if you found the muted strings.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:lesson 7 :D
Hi Bert, you overdone the improvisation assignment :) There are 2 voices. Sounds interesting :)
Your Ecossaise is so fast! But I think Part 1 is a bit faster than Part 2 (where fingers 3 and 4 are used). I liked that you muted bass where necessary in Part 1.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 319
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2015 4:34 pm
Location: Sunnyvale, CA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:40 pm

:D Just listened to Ecossaise again and found missing mutes :( But it is quite difficult to hear the difference sometimes.
Bert Stendahl wrote:I noticed that Edna Lopez played B on third string and if I used that B, 2 voices playing seemed like good thing. I guess you recently have washed your ears if you found the muted strings.
Andrei Puhach wrote:
Bert Stendahl wrote:lesson 7 :D
Hi Bert, you overdone the improvisation assignment :) There are 2 voices. Sounds interesting :)
Your Ecossaise is so fast! But I think Part 1 is a bit faster than Part 2 (where fingers 3 and 4 are used). I liked that you muted bass where necessary in Part 1.
Cordoba C9

User avatar
Chu Bun
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 281
Joined: Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:15 pm
Location: Houston, TX, USA

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Chu Bun » Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:58 pm

Among all the sounding notes, string resonances, ... I find it's extremely difficult to tell whether damping is done or not. Especially for treble strings, I can barely hear any differences even when I'm playing. For me, that's one of the problems with damping. If I can't hear it, I won't feel the need or remember to do it.

Colin Bullock
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed May 14, 2014 5:16 pm
Location: NW London, England

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Colin Bullock » Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:22 am

In damping the Eccosaise, 1st bar of second section, I damp the g with the 2nd finger (E) by leaning it on the 3rd string. For the 3rd bar I damp the 1st string with LH 1st finger as I find it hard to cover the 1st string by leaning with the LH 4th.
How do you folks damp these? Just looking for different techniques.

User avatar
Bert Stendahl
Student of the online lessons
Posts: 119
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:35 am
Location: Sweden

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Bert Stendahl » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:44 pm

This damping thing, have classical guitar players always done that or is it a new thing?
Chu Bun wrote:Among all the sounding notes, string resonances, ... I find it's extremely difficult to tell whether damping is done or not. Especially for treble strings, I can barely hear any differences even when I'm playing. For me, that's one of the problems with damping. If I can't hear it, I won't feel the need or remember to do it.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”