D04 Classical guitar lesson 07

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Rick Beauregard
Student of the online lessons

Re: D04 Classical guitar lesson 07

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:07 pm

I also tried repetitions with G-F with the pinky on 1sr string while holding 3 on successively higher strings. First the second, then 3rd, 4th, 5th and 6th. Also repeat first on higher frets and move down to lower frets to adjust the spacing.
All this time I thought I was making music; it was making me.
2015 Steve Ganz "Solidarity"
1980 Dauphin D30
1962 Fender pre-CBS P-Bass
National Triolian Uke ca.1930
Almost as many fly rods as guitars
_/) _/)
_/)

abel

Post by abel » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:50 pm

Hello
I know that these melodies have much work to do.
Greetings.

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:34 am

Greetings from the Spanish forum.
I encourage that we have little.

A hug.
Mariano.
Mi paso más

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:55 pm

Mariano Martínez Gallego wrote:Greetings from the Spanish forum.

A hug.
Mariano.
Welcome Mariano! I check in with the Spanish forum occasionally and sometimes submit my work there. You have a more active and larger group there in D04. I hope you can participate here as well.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Mariano Martínez Gallego

Post by Mariano Martínez Gallego » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:16 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:
Mariano Martínez Gallego wrote:Greetings from the Spanish forum.

A hug.
Mariano.
Welcome Mariano! I check in with the Spanish forum occasionally and sometimes submit my work there. You have a more active and larger group there in D04. I hope you can participate here as well.
Thank you.
But the last time, my English causes much confusion.
Animo for everyone.
Mariano.
Mi paso más

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:31 am

Ok, this is difficult. I've started trying to execute that pull of by pushing off instead of pulling. So instead of 4-1 pulling off the E string, I am pushing the pinky in the direction of the B string. I can at least get a sound that way. Don't know if that is legal, but it seems to work.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sat Mar 19, 2016 5:23 pm

The Maria Luisa was one of my favorites from the D04 Lesson series. You can experiment quite a bit with different expression elements and make that one pop and sing. Makes me want to brush off some rust this weekend on that piece and play again :-)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:17 am

John Montes wrote:The Maria Luisa was one of my favorites from the D04 Lesson series. You can experiment quite a bit with different expression elements and make that one pop and sing. Makes me want to brush off some rust this weekend on that piece and play again :-)
I love it too John. I think I'll go back and listen to your interpretation and those of your mates from last year's D04 class. :casque: I almost have it learned and ready to record, but I broke 2 nails this week and my sound and execution suck right now.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:54 am

I think my first version is still in archives, I don't recall uploading a 2nd more polished version after working with the piece a bit longer :-)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:00 pm

John Montes wrote:I think my first version is still in archives, I don't recall uploading a 2nd more polished version after working with the piece a bit longer :-)
It sounds great John. I'm still having difficulty with that section in measures 14-15, which you and others seem to have no problem with. Funny how we all get stuck on some sections that others find easy, and others find easy where some stumble. :chaud:
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:20 am

Hello everyone. I am uploading an early audio take of Maria Luisa. Still more time to work on this and the other pieces, but I thought I'd get some feedback. My sound is aweful because my my m and p nails split, and I am not used to playing without nails. I will upload an undated version later this month.

Youtube
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Fri Mar 25, 2016 2:07 pm

Rick, Haris, et al.,

This lesson period I went back to try lesson 4, which I previously skipped. I would appreciate feedback there if you all get a chance.
viewtopic.php?f=41&t=100686&p=1101801#p1101801

Next lesson period, I could go back to another skip (lesson 2), but last year's lesson 8 has a couple nice-sounding pieces that appeal to me more ... and although they appear to be far more challenging than lesson 2, I think it's worth my effort ... I'll enjoy striving for it more (depending on which must be recorded - I don't care for the Strauss piece).

Thanks!
CW

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:25 pm

Rick Beauregard wrote:Hello everyone. I am uploading an early audio take of Maria Luisa. Still more time to work on this and the other pieces, but I thought I'd get some feedback. My sound is aweful because my my m and p nails split, and I am not used to playing without nails. I will upload an undated version later this month.
Rick,

I applaud you for posting this early! I appreciate knowing that CG pieces don't always flow from your fingers fully-formed. You've been quiet lately so I presume you're working hard on it. It is quite recognizable, and a lovely tune. I may end up regretting skipping this one, though perhaps not the others of the lesson.

I have peeked ahead at lesson 8 based on last year's assignments. Mi Favorita is pretty nice sounding, and not all that tough to learn (there are a couple tricky spots, but overall, it appears much more reachable than I would have initially guessed. I've not looked at the others yet, but I am likely to check out the other anonymous piece next). Hope these are still the same assignments ... but still, not really time wasted either way.

cw

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:53 pm

No, not fully formed at all. Keep in mind that up until the last two lessons, I started the pieces in D04 sometime in summer or fall, so I had a little extra practice to get them down. I am still nursing my "m" nail and it is growing very slowly, so I don't plan to post anything like final takes until I have a nail again.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Rick Beauregard

Post by Rick Beauregard » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:32 am

Eric de Vries wrote:
Rick Beauregard wrote: I think M12 is one of those spots where I need to invent an exercise and just repeat it over and over again to strengthen the pull or with the pinky. I'll let you know what I come up with.
Try these exercises:

G-F with 4 and 1 only on the first string. No other LH fingers fretted.

G-F with 4 and 1, also G with 3 but "supported" by putting 2 on B (5th string). That gives more power in the pinky!

Experiment also with the position of your left hand. Make the angle between arm and wrist 90 degrees, and stretch your arm a bit forwards. Now the back of your hand is more above the fretboard. [When your hand is under the fretboard/the neck, you got less strength]. I hope this is clear enough without pictures.
OK, Eric had a good idea here for dealing with that pull off in measure 12 of the Carcassi Valse. But with a slight modification. Here's what I came up with that is starting to work for me. Starting with the arpeggio C chord in measure 11, with the first finger on the second string 1st fret, 2 on the E 4th string second fret, and 3 on C, 5th string. Then, leaving the 2nd finger on E as a pivot, move 1 to the F on the first string, 3 to the G on 6th string and 4 to the G on fist string. The key is pivoting off the 2nd finger, which as Eric pointed out gives the pinky something to leverage off for the pull off. Not easy but it works to get a clean pull off. Need to practice this move a couple days then I will have it. I hope. :ivresse: Thanks Eric.
1980 Dauphin D30
_/) _/)
_/)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”