D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:42 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D03.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

Today, we're going to work on a series of exercises.
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS

Youtube

- page 105 - 13/ Improvise a melody upon the harmonic sequence of Folias.

Youtube

Next, we will be working on 3 pieces.
Las Folias are played using strums with the index finger. The arrows indicate the direction of the strum. In the strum, several strings are struck in rapid succession, to give the effect of a chord, that is to say of notes played simultaneously.

- page 31 Gaspar SANZ (1640-1710) FOLIAS
In bars 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 the thumb rests on the 6th string. In bars 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13 the thumb rests on the 5th string. It is important not to move the hand while the index finger moves up and down. Resting the thumb on a bass string helps to keep the hand still. It also prevents the accidental sounding of one or more bass strings that are not used in certain chords

Youtube

Youtube

- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE
This piece consists of a melody with accompaniment. The melody is played on the first string, except in bars 46 and 47. Bring out the melody notes (those with the stem pointing up) by using rest strokes with your third finger. Play the accompaniment (the notes with the stem pointing down) quietly, with gentle free strokes using the thumb, middle and index fingers.
On the first beat of each of the odd-numbered bars, you need to use a rest stroke for the treble note with your third finger while at the same time using a free stroke for the bass note, played gently with your thumb.
These two simultaneous strokes, one a strongly played rest stroke, the other a gentle free stroke, will seem very difficult, or even impossible, to achieve. But don't worry, my students manage this double stroke after 15 minutes. The first few minutes of practising this right-hand skill are always agonizing for students, because they feel that they will never succeed. In my lessons, my role is to reassure the students and encourage them to persevere. Often, after 15 minutes of repeating the same movements, students start to get there. Sometimes they are quite amazed at having succeeded at what seemed impossible. Because by repeatedly failing to perform rest and free strokes simultaneously, you end up convincing yourself that it's impossible. In short, persevere! Have courage!

Be patient, stay relaxed, don't get annoyed with yourself, don't curse me, just repeat the same movements over and over again while making an effort to get it right. In a few hours or a few days you will achieve mastery of this simultaneous rest and free stroke. This technique is used in the piece "Jeux interdits".
The marking CV, in bars 19, 20, 27, 28, 67, 68, 75 and 76, indicates a half barré with the index finger at the fifth fret.

Youtube

- pages 68-69 José FERRER Y ESTEVE (1835-1916) EJERCICIO N°9
The dotted lines joining two identical notes indicate that the fingers of the left hand are not lifted but remain in place on the fingerboard.

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
- page 99 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) ACCORDS
- pages 66-67 ANONYME (ca. 1860) VALSE

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB) who has helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

ACCORDS
VALSE

Angela Zhao
ACCORDS
VALSE

Dennis Stewart
ACCORDS
VALSE

Miguel Grajeda
ACCORDS
VALSE

David Yang
ACCORDS
VALSE

Bill Davis
ACCORDS
VALSE

Eva Pakaki
VALSE
:( + ♫ = :)

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 08

Postby Angela Zhao » Sat Apr 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Hi classmate

This is my assignments.

ACCORDS

Youtube

VALSE

Youtube

:merci:

Dennis Stewart

Postby Dennis Stewart » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:47 pm

Hi Everyone, here are my submissions for this lesson. Unfortunately i will be away from home for the next 2months or so and will miss the final exam.... I wish all of you good luck with the remaining lessons and most of all with the final exam. I am sure everyone will do well. I hope to see all of you later on in the year for the start of the D04 lessons.

Good luck@!!!! :bye:

Youtube

Youtube

Dennis Stewart

Postby Dennis Stewart » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:54 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate

This is my assignments.

Hi Angela. Good playing, the Valse sounds nice. The only advice i can give you is to try to dampen the notes in the lesson 44. All the dotted notes should be played staccato.

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:12 am

The only advice i can give you is to try to dampen the notes in the lesson 44. All the dotted notes should be played staccato

Hi Dennis

Thank you remind me, I havn't noticed the dotted notes,yes it should be played staccato, I'll try it again, thank you very much!

I watch your video, your play are very good, the valse are very harmonious.

:merci:

Miguel Grajeda

Postby Miguel Grajeda » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:29 pm

Greetings to all, step by presenting what worked for this class:

Un saludo a todos, paso a presentar lo trabajado durante esta clase:

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Miguel Grajeda

Postby Miguel Grajeda » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:37 pm

First of all I ask an apology for not discuss their previous classes, but with it came late it has become a bit difficult to me.
Angela, nice to meet you, play well, no comment beyond what Dennis told you.
Dennis, congratulations, your interpretation of Vals is very good, I liked; It is a shame you can not join the final exam, but I think if you make an effort you can present it.
I say goodbye, be happy.

Antes que nada les pido una disculpa por no comentar sus clases anteriores, pero con lo atrasado que venía se me ha hecho un poco difícil.
Angela, un placer conocerte, tocas muy bien, nada que comentar aparte de lo que Dennis te dijo.
Dennis, felicidades, tu interpretación del Vals es muy buena, me ha gustado; es una pena que no puedas acompañarnos al éxamen final, pero creo que si haces un esfuerzo puedes presentarlo.
Me despido, sean felices.

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:50 am

Hi Miguel
It's my plaesure to meet you! Your video have some other noise,maybe your record environment not very good.
But your paly are good,you can get more progress with your efforts.
Good luck!

Miguel Grajeda

Postby Miguel Grajeda » Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:19 pm

Thank you Angela for your words, :D and if the camera is a bit old, but is what I have. :bye:

Gracias Angela por tus palabras, y si, la cámara es un poco vieja, pero es la que tengo.

David Yang

Postby David Yang » Sat Apr 23, 2016 5:53 am

Music begins where language ends.

David Yang

Postby David Yang » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:05 am

Dennis Stewart wrote:Hi Everyone, here are my submissions for this lesson. Unfortunately i will be away from home for the next 2months or so and will miss the final exam.... I wish all of you good luck with the remaining lessons and most of all with the final exam. I am sure everyone will do well. I hope to see all of you later on in the year for the start of the D04 lessons.

Dennis, safe journey. I decide to go back to D02 in the year 2016-'17. I'll slow down and take my time cultivating habits to use the body more efficiently before moving forward. See you.
Music begins where language ends.

Dennis Stewart

Postby Dennis Stewart » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:42 am

David Yang wrote:
Dennis Stewart wrote:Hi Everyone, here are my submissions for this lesson. Unfortunately i will be away from home for the next 2months or so and will miss the final exam.... I wish all of you good luck with the remaining lessons and most of all with the final exam. I am sure everyone will do well. I hope to see all of you later on in the year for the start of the D04 lessons.

Dennis, safe journey. I decide to go back to D02 in the year 2016-'17. I'll slow down and take my time cultivating habits to use the body more efficiently before moving forward. See you.

Hi David, very good recordings. I am surprised that you want to take the D02 next year as i think you do very well in D03. Your performances are all very good...

The one thing that really helped me most was a couple of lessons with a good guitar teacher. The lessons on this site and the feedback we get from other students are all very valueable , but we are all beginners here and sometimes we dont see and hear obvious mistakes. A good teacher will be able to point out your mistakes and will make you work on them efficiently. If you can, i strongly recommend that you consider to take a few lessons. It will not just improve your playing, but also give you a confidence boost. I hope to see you in D04!!!!!!

Bill Davis

Postby Bill Davis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:56 am

Hello Everyone,
Again, I am running late and didn't get enough time to practice all the lessons. Thank you for listening to my recordings.
Thank you, Bill

ACCORDS

Youtube

VALSE

Youtube

Bill Davis

Postby Bill Davis » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:03 am

Dennis,

Thank you for all of your hard work and input. It was very valuable to me and I am sure many others. I am very sorry to hear you will miss the final after putting all this work into D03. Maybe you can take on D04 and then repost D03 at the same time and take the final for both D03 and D04 next year at the same time.

I look forward to seeing you in D04!

Thank you,
Bill

Eva Pakaki

Postby Eva Pakaki » Sun May 15, 2016 9:25 pm

Hey guys here are my submissions for the valse and the accords no 44 . I will post no 45 in a few days also.

Youtube

Youtube

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”