D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Tue May 24, 2016 9:28 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D02.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D02.
- page 83 Jean-François DELCAMP (1956) BARRÉ - BARRÉ - BARRÉ - CEJILLA
Avoid bending your left wrist, as this not only hurts, but also hinders the mobility of your fingers. Aim for the position (of the guitar neck, your elbow and your shoulder) which will allow you to play without bending your left wrist, as shown in the following video.
Note that you must play for 6 days of the week. If you combine all this time into one day, that is to say, 2 hours in a single day, you will not make progress and furthermore you will risk injuring yourself by making demands on certain muscles for too long. Divide up your practice and play a little each day.

Youtube

Next we'll work on five pieces :
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE

Youtube

- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

Youtube

- page 59 Felix HORETZKY (1796-1870) AMUSEMENT

Youtube

- page 70 ANONYME (ca. 1850) DOS PALOMAS

Youtube

- page 62 ANONYME Dans les jardins d'mon pere

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and pieces for one week and then to post your recordings on the forum for:
- page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE
- pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

Good luck!

We have reached the end of this year of studying together. I am intending to resume next year.

My thanks to the students, to Geoff for his splendid translations, and also to Carl Westman, John Montes, Rich (oski79), Marko Räsänen and lagartija who have enabled these courses to run so smoothly.

I wish you all a good summer. See you again soon.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:
CHACONNE
RONDO Opus 241

Angela Zhao
CHACONNE
RONDO Opus 241
:( + ♫ = :)

Zafar Haq
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 10

Postby Zafar Haq » Tue May 24, 2016 10:20 am

Hi, Classmates,
This month study assignments music sheet breakdown. :)

1.page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE
2. pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241

a.page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE
1.Time Signature: 3/4
2.Tempo:88
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:9
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Dampings:Yes,5
7.Repeats: No
8.Special effects: No.
9."#" symbol: Yes,m4,m8
11.Lyrics: No
12.Rest:No
13. Articulation.
14.Improvisation:No
15.Slur:Yes,m4,5,6,7
16.Ornament:Yes, Grace note,m4
"In music, ornaments or embellishments are musical flourishes that are not necessary to carry the overall line of the melody (or harmony), but serve instead to decorate or "ornament" that line. Many ornaments are performed as "fast notes" around a central note. The amount of ornamentation in a piece of music can vary from quite extensive (it was often so in the Baroque period) to relatively little or even none. The word agrément is used specifically to indicate the French Baroque style of ornamentation.wiki"

How to create "D minor" chord ?
First look at "F major" scale
Formula=W-W-H-W-W-W-H
W=Whole=Two frets
H=Half=One fret,now apply this formula to create F Major Scale
F-G=W
G-A=W
A-bB=H
bB-C=W
C-D=W
D-E=W
E-F=H
F Major Scale:F-G-A-bB-C-D-E-F
to create relative D minor Scale is to select sixth degree note from F major Scale.Sixth degree note is "D".Write down the rest of notes after D.
D minor Scale:D-E-F-G-A-bB-C-D
To create a D minor Chord from D-minor Scale is to choose "Root note",3rd degree note,5th degree note.Which are
D minor Chord=D-F-A

b. pages 44-47 Ferdinando CARULLI (1770-1841) RONDO Opus 241
1.Time Signature: 2/4
2.Tempo:66
3.Strokes: Not defined
4.Measures:78
5.Phrases: Not defined
6.Dampings:Yes,35
7.Repeats: No
8.Special effects:Yes, Dynamics,"f"forte,Loud. Used as often as piano to indicate contrast,"p" Piano,Soft; louder than pianissimo."sf"Sforzando
Literally "forced", denotes an abrupt, fierce accent on a single sound or chord. When written out in full, it applies to the sequence of sounds or chords under or over which it is placed.wiki
"rit."
An abbreviation for ritardando;[9] also an abbreviation for ritenuto[10]
ritardando, ritard., rit.
Slowing down; decelerating; opposite of accelerando.wiki
"a tempo"
In time (i.e. the performer should return to the main tempo of the piece, such as after an accelerando or ritardando); also may be found in combination with other terms such as a tempo giusto (in strict time) or a tempo di menuetto (at the speed of a minuet)wiki
"Fermata Symbol"placed on a note or a rest) is a symbol of musical notation indicating that the note should be prolonged beyond its normal duration or note value would indicate.[2] Exactly how much longer it is held is up to the discretion of the performer or conductor, but twice as long is common. It is usually printed above but can be occasionally below.wiki
9."#" symbol: Yes,m0,m4,m16,17,18,20,21,22,28,33,40,41,45,46,47,49,50,51,52,53,54,58,
11.Lyrics: No
12.Rest:Yes,quarter note,1/8 note,half note,1/16 note
13. Articulation.
14.Improvisation:No
15.Slur:No
16.Ornament:
17:Tie:Yes,m23,24,25,26,27,38,40,42

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Tue May 24, 2016 12:59 pm

Hi classmate
This is my assignment,it's not easy than the previous lessons,there are some mistake, hope get some advice.thank you!
CHACONNE

Youtube

RONDO Opus 241

Youtube

:merci:

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu May 26, 2016 11:57 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hi classmate
This is my assignment,it's not easy than the previous lessons,there are some mistake, hope get some advice.thank you!

Hi Angela, I liked your performance very much! Especially Rondo: it is so clean and pleasurable to listen, I did not hear any major mistakes. Just curious, how many tries did it take to produce such a nice recording?

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Fri May 27, 2016 2:22 am

Just curious, how many tries did it take to produce such a nice recording?[/

Hi Andrei
Thank you watch my video, and thank you like it.
Acturally I practice this song for a month,but it's difficult to play it without any mistake.
In some measures,it's always have the same mistakes, so I just practice these measures and care for the mistakes.
During make a record, first I paly twice, but there are mistakes in here or there. so I paly it more, but it's not better than the previous, totally I play about 5 times, but after I watched the all recordings, I choose the second one, though there are still mistakes, and this mistake I didn't have it in the everyday's playing. :oops: It's really hard when you want to make a no mistake recording, and in the end ,you have to choose the previous than the latest. :x

Wish you have a good summer holiday!

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Fri May 27, 2016 3:16 am

Angela Zhao wrote:
Just curious, how many tries did it take to produce such a nice recording?[/

Hi Andrei
Thank you watch my video, and thank you like it.
Acturally I practice this song for a month,but it's difficult to play it without any mistake.
In some measures,it's always have the same mistakes, so I just practice these measures and care for the mistakes.
During make a record, first I paly twice, but there are mistakes in here or there. so I paly it more, but it's not better than the previous, totally I play about 5 times, but after I watched the all recordings, I choose the second one, though there are still mistakes, and this mistake I didn't have it in the everyday's playing. :oops: It's really hard when you want to make a no mistake recording, and in the end ,you have to choose the previous than the latest. :x

Wish you have a good summer holiday!

Haha, thank you!
I completely understand these difficulties with recording. Sometime it is really painful.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Fri May 27, 2016 12:02 pm

Hi,Andrei Puhach,Classmates,
In study assignment "RONDO OPUS 241" looking at the page 1,"measure 1 to 8" seems to be one phrase.It ends at 1/8th note with 1/8 rest.Lets take it as phrase 1.
Next "measure 8 following part continue to measure 16 first part again with 1/8th note with 1/8th rest".Consider this as phrase 2.
Next "measure 16 second part untill page 3 measure 37 first part 1/8th note with 1/8 rest" longer phrase 3.
Continue page 3 "measure 37 second part to measure 45 first part 1/8 note chord with 1/8 rest",phrase 4. Continuing "measure 45 second part until measure 62 first part"phrase 5.
Next page 4 "measure 62 second part until ends measure 78" phrase 6.
Large elephant.take small bites out of this large elephant.
I'm looking for finger positions for last phrase 6 to practice it and record just this part.Keep practicing until arrive at first phrase.Just my idea. :) :D

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Sat May 28, 2016 2:17 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is a lesson for playing 1/16 notes.Good video audio quality.
Visit this site.
-----://---.youtube.com/watch?v=fiHB2v8o-ok

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:16 pm

Hi,Class mates,
I highlighted the strum convention for right hand described in study assignment "page 31 Nicolas DEROSIERS (1660?-1720?) CHACONNE"
Here is an image posted will help us know the direction of strum.
I'm, currently practicing this piece.

Hi,Angela,
Watched your study assignment video "CHACONNE".Your strums are mostly down.Please check it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Angela Zhao

Postby Angela Zhao » Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:38 pm

Zafar Haq wrote:
Hi,Angela,
Watched your study assignment video "CHACONNE".Your strums are mostly down.Please check it. :)

Hi Zafar

Thank you remind me.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:11 am

Hi,Angela Zhao,
In your study assignment "CHACONNE"
First you plant your thumb on base strings and played the chords with Index finger as shown in music sheet.
Next,You repeated all over again strumming with thumb.
Third time, you played again with thumb planted on base strings and used Index finger for strumming.
Music sheet shows no repeat sign.How you decided to play it three time?

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”