D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Thomas Drummond » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:25 am

I dont know a scale that uses pinky. actually so far, ive only been given Cmaj; first position. 1 octave.
Trying to improvise, ive been just running up and down the neck with all my fingers.

OTOH, ive been drilling my A finger pretty good. Im going back to older songs and getting them up to tempo using M A rather then the I M.
I can hear when I play, using MA, songs are softer, and have less attack. trying to get it to match is going to take work; and is something
Ill likely do for the foreseeable future.
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Ryan Bassette

Post by Ryan Bassette » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 am

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Again, having trouble getting a consistent volume between i and m, due largely to a difference in nail length/angle of attack, but the rest stroke feels marginally better this 2nd week. Those exercises (in particular the ones NOT assigned for videotaping) are pretty killer (as in, ouch that really really makes me want to throw this guitar and call the whole thing off lol).

Ryan Bassette

Post by Ryan Bassette » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:08 pm

My apologies to anyone who might have tried to view my submission videos as I had failed to make them public (oops); they are now available and should be visible to all.

Ryan

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:51 am

Ryan Bassette wrote:
Nice work Ryan :bravo:

There may have been a couple of places where the index-finger (i) is plucking two notes in succession versus alternation with i and m such as in measure 1 the first few notes, then on the repeat.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Ryan Bassette

Post by Ryan Bassette » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:47 am

John Montes wrote:
Ryan Bassette wrote:
Nice work Ryan :bravo:

There may have been a couple of places where the index-finger (i) is plucking two notes in succession versus alternation with i and m such as in measure 1 the first few notes, then on the repeat.

This is probably the case John, and thanks for picking that up; this habit is coming from my bass playing years ago (haven't touched it in a while...I know, sounds like a vice lol) where it is often taught as a form of 'economy picking' to use the finger that is already at rest on the lower string rather than alternate (depends on the context and the rhythmic effect desired etc). I'm noticing myself doing it quite often and trying to correct when I do indeed pick it up, but it is definitely a challenge.

Thanks for the kind words,

Ryan

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:11 pm

Ryan Bassette wrote: This is probably the case John, and thanks for picking that up; this habit is coming from my bass playing years ago (haven't touched it in a while...I know, sounds like a vice lol) where it is often taught as a form of 'economy picking' to use the finger that is already at rest on the lower string rather than alternate (depends on the context and the rhythmic effect desired etc). I'm noticing myself doing it quite often and trying to correct when I do indeed pick it up, but it is definitely a challenge.

Thanks for the kind words,

Ryan
Not a problem Ryan, that is exactly where these alternation exercises will help train the fingers and increase muscle memory. :-)

In more advanced playing and in special cases there can be situations where a performer may be trying to get a particular tone or volume quality in a targeted section of music and may deviate slightly from a strict finger alternation in those limited circumstances.

One example is an Agustin Barrios piece, the Prelude piece in La Catedral. There are some players that use the middle finger--instead of the ring finger-- to rest-stroke the upper melody and immediately play the following note with the same middle finger and then alternate fingers for other arpeggiated notes. It is done in order to get a fuller, rounder tone that may not be as easily obtained when using the ring finger.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

JoshBacking

Post by JoshBacking » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:23 pm

Hello,

Here are the uploads for this weeks lesson. I was travelling for work and so the schedule has been difficult to keep. I realize that I've got work to do on timing. I have a metronome, but don't use it all the time, it's probably something that would help. I got a stand, as you can see, to help with posture and positioning.

Exercise 20 -
Youtube

C Major Scale -
Youtube

Une Souris Verte -
Youtube

J’ai du bon Tabac -
Youtube

Minh-Man Nguyen
Student of the online lessons

Post by Minh-Man Nguyen » Tue Apr 11, 2017 9:29 am