D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 03

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:26 am

Ed Butler wrote:Andrei - excellent job. After watching you play, I listen again with my eyes closed just to enjoy the music. Question on the PAGANINI. I noticed you move down the fretboard on (I think) measure 5 or 6 - why? Is there a shift that I am not seeing when I read the music?

Ed Butler
Hi Ed, thank you so much for kind words! It motivates me to play better :)
As of Paganini, I played that note on the B string rather than E to make the sound fuller, warmer and a bit vibrato. It is much easier to produce warmer sound and vibrato when the fretting closer to the soundhole (almost impossible to do that on 1st or 2nd fret). I think it contrasts nicely to the staccato nature of the piece :)
Thanks for watching!
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:32 am

Andrei,

Solid performance. I think your slur exercise is spot on, clear and even sounding notes. My only nitpicking is the duration of the eight notes following the dotted quarter notes in greensleeves sounds a little bit too short.

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:41 am

Ed,
Ed Butler wrote:Chu - I have the same problem with learning the exercises. Memorization is hard for me, if you have any good techniques or processes that work for you, please let me know.
Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestion. For me, it helps if the melody is "catchy" or well known (which is often not the case for our exercises!). Otherwise, memorizing a piece is a long struggle.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:42 am

Bonus content:
page 12 ANONYME MARO PONTKALLEG

Youtube

Chu Bun wrote:Andrei,

Solid performance. I think your slur exercise is spot on, clear and even sounding notes. My only nitpicking is the duration of the eight notes following the dotted quarter notes in greensleeves sounds a little bit too short.
Chu, thank you for your feedback! I see what you mean, it's probably because of tendency to play it faster than necessary...
Cordoba C9

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:47 am

I just made a discovery how to make playing slurs easier (page 94 number 30). Calluses were catching onto the strings. So, I just rubbed the tips of fretting fingers on an emery board, it smoothed out the calluses nicely.
Slurs sound much better now and playing so much easier!
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:51 am

For some reasons when I get older my body does not develop calluses anymore. I play racket sports, run around barefooted, ... and do not get any calluses on my hands or feet. It could be a disease or something. Anyway, lacking of calluses does not make my slur any easier!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Nov 19, 2016 4:33 pm

My posts for this session, warts and all:

page 88 number 10
Think I missed last A.

Youtube

Page 94 number 30, bar 2

Youtube

GREENSLEEVES
Don't enjoy this tune, we were made to sing it at school. Fluffed timing in later phrase.

Youtube

VALTZ

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:33 pm

Chu Bun wrote:I can't sight-read fast enough and am prone to make mistakes. Maybe it's time to try to memorize and play from memory.
Ed Butler wrote:Chu - I have the same problem with learning the exercises. Memorization is hard for me, if you have any good techniques or processes that work for you, please let me know.
i don't try to play from memory, but I find after a while, as I speed up, it's as if I'm just using the music as a memory jogger. Take the music away and I can play some phrases then stop, so I'm not conciously memorising all of it, but my brain is obviously remembering parts.

One thing I noticed Chu that in the Valtz you glance at the fingerboard a few times and in some pieces this could slow you down. Although if you memorise a piece it won't matter if you look at the fingerboard, I am trying to make position shifts without looking eg in the scale exercise, in the hope it will make my sight reading smoother.

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Hello,
Thanks for watching and commenting !

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube
Edna Lopez

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:03 pm

Colin - very good. The only thing I noticed, and it could be my eyes, on Greensleeves, measure, it looks like you are fingering with the 3rd finger on the high G note where on our lesson it shows using the 2nd finger.

Ed Butler

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:23 pm

Edna- very good. I enjoyed listening to all of your exercises. Question, I know the reading do not say it, but on the VALTZ should we be damping the 2nd beat on measures 3,4 5 etc.?

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:12 am

Hi Ed. Thx for commenting....I cant see clearly in the professors video the damping, but might be the case, since the course places emphasis on that. I focused in some dynamic with volume and tempo...and forgot about the damping. Damping is still new to me and not easy ...specially since i cant appreciate much the difference in sound most of the time, the ringing of the previous base note sounds ok to me. However, I can appreciate how dumping makes the pieces sound cleaner.
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Post by Edna Lopez » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:28 am

Hi Collin, the sound on Greensleves and Valtz is pleasant, clear and steady. When i play i find it hard to control my fingers, some times they play soft and all of a sudden loud, but your sound is even and relaxed. :bravo:
Edna Lopez

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:53 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Colin - very good. The only thing I noticed, and it could be my eyes, on Greensleeves, measure, it looks like you are fingering with the 3rd finger on the high G note where on our lesson it shows using the 2nd finger.
Ed Butler
Edna Lopez wrote:Hi Collin, the sound on Greensleves and Valtz is pleasant, clear and steady. When i play i find it hard to control my fingers, some times they play soft and all of a sudden loud, but your sound is even and relaxed. :bravo:
Thanks for the comments folks.

Yes Ed, 3rd finger is a habit for that note and I must have lost concentration.

Edna
in the Valze first section it sounds as though you are lilting some notes - just cutting them a bit short - eg 1st bar F# - E.

Both pieces very clean sound, well played.

Guitar-ded

Post by Guitar-ded » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:17 pm

Chu Bun wrote:Andrei and Ed,

... As the pieces become more difficult, I can't sight-read fast enough and am prone to make mistakes. Maybe it's time to try to memorize and play from memory.
Hi Guys,

It's all coming along nicely there so keep at it.
I thought I'd comment on Chu's remark about starting to memorise pieces. It's a trap I fell into myself at one time, so take heed!

If you do start to memorise things it slows down your reading progress and you (like me) will get to the the stage where you need to seriously concentrate on your reading. Take it from me that it is a real pain to do that so keep up with the sight-reading now and save yourself some pain later.
It is difficult now but when you're dealing with more complicated pieces later on it's worse, believe me.
Good luck all.
Getting better bit by bit, day by day.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”