D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Nelson Lee
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 04

Post by Nelson Lee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:48 am

Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-04 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Slowing the tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat.
2. Minimize unnecessary LH movement and keeping my pinky bent.
3. Minimize "clicking" sound of RH picking. I had to cut my nails for health reasons, so I using specialized picks in these videos.
4. Relaxing my RH while picking and reaching for guitar strings high E and B.

Again, I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.

La Cucaracha Page 21

Youtube

Alouette Page 23

Youtube

Lundi Matin Page 24

Youtube

Cadet Rousselle Page 25

Youtube
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Nelson Lee wrote:Hi Everyone. The following videos are my D01-03 Lesson pieces with the following focus:

1. Slowing the tempo, tapping the beat, internalizing the beat.
2. Minimize unnecessary LH movement and keeping my pinky bent.
3. Minimize "clicking" sound of RH picking. I had to cut my nails for health reasons, so I using specialized picks in these videos.
4. Relaxing my RH while picking and reaching for guitar strings high E and B.

Again, I have included video with and without metronome beats. Moreover, I counted the beats with the metronome while playing.

Please feel free to give me feedback. Thanks so much for the support, Nelson.
Nice work, Nelson. Your right pinky is relax and I can see the dexterity of your right hand fingers and good rhythm, too.

But there are something you might want to focus: eliminate unwanted noise:

1. The "clicking" sound of your right hand is not good (in La Cucaracha), you may want to find out the reason that cause the sound and fix it. I often touch the string with my flesh part first and the nail part second. Check out this video at 8:15
Youtube

2. You tap your foot too loud (especially in Lundi Matin), I recommend you tap with your toe only. I used to tap my whole right foot, and after a while it became more and more tired, so I had to change to my left foot. ==> tap the whole foot is tiring and costs more energy than just your right big toe. And when you want to record or go to stage(play live to audience), the tapping noise is not good, and it doesn't look good on stage, also. :D

Best regards. You're improving so fast, Nelson :bravo:
Last edited by Binh NguyenKhac on Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Mon Feb 20, 2017 5:25 pm

You back your pinky away from the fret board, same as I do :(
Like if you watch your first video, the fretting hand pinky moves all over the place.
We need to work on that.

Im not experienced enough to provide more feedback.
It sounds musical to me, and you appear to feel the music; far as i can tell, great job!
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:05 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote: 1. The "clicking" sound of your right hand is not good (in La Cucaracha), you may want to find out the reason that cause the sound and fix it. Check out this video.......

2. You tap your foot too loud (especially in Lundi Matin), I recommend you tap with your toe only....
Dear Binh, I watched the video you recommended and I will use the techniques to shape my nails. It was an excellent video. I will also be more aware of the foot tapping too.

I like how you demonstrated how rhythm can change the expression of a piece with those videos of Sound of Silence. I will put more effort into expressing the piece by experimenting with not only rhythm, but with tone, dynamics, and tempo, as well. Unfortunately, I suspect this will be very challenging since I am am still working on the guitar fundamentals. As I improve, I hope I will be able to communicate and express myself musically. I look forward to being able to go into that special and magical space, and sharing it with listeners.

Binh, thanks for spending the time and effort in helping me improve in my guitar practice. Your feedback and support is valueable and appreciated. Best regards, Nelson.
Last edited by Nelson Lee on Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nelson Lee

Post by Nelson Lee » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:30 pm

Thomas Drummond wrote:You back your pinky away from the fret board.....Im not experienced enough to provide more feedback........
Hi Thomas, Rats with the pinky thing. I have been working on this issue for the last few weeks (and I have improved quite a bit), but I will soldier on, and hopefully improve further. Binh was the first person who made me aware of this, so your observation is a good one. Little by little... step by step... :)

Thanks for the excellent observation and feedback. And looking forward to your next videos! Much regards, Nelson.

Thomas Drummond
Location: Northern Ontario, Canada; In a room somewhere, with his guitar.

Post by Thomas Drummond » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:05 am

Nelson Lee wrote:
Thomas Drummond wrote:You back your pinky away from the fret board.....Im not experienced enough to provide more feedback........
Hi Thomas, Rats with the pinky thing. I have been working on this issue for the last few weeks (and I have improved quite a bit), but I will soldier on, and hopefully improve further. Binh was the first person who made me aware of this, so your observation is a good one. Little by little... step by step... :)

Thanks for the excellent observation and feedback. And looking forward to your next videos! Much regards, Nelson.

Hehe he was the one that made me aware I did it too :D
my axes.
Cordoba C7
Epiphone les paul std gold top 2015
Yamaha FX370C
And my first guitar.. the one that started it all:
Fender bullet-strat 2007 - modified fully into MIM strat in 2014.

Ryan Bassette

Post by Ryan Bassette » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm a bit surprised that no one has mentioned yet the section of Lundi Matin with the alternating thumb apoyando eighth notes: if you watch Delcamp play in his video at the beginning of the lesson, he doesn't use the thumb here. I noticed at least one submission video following suit and just using alternating i-m, and this seems more 'logical' to me...in fact, the alternating thumb and i-m rest strokes have been a difficulty for me since I began this little venture and I'm not sure if it is supposed to be such a 'sticking point'...I feel like I have to quickly adjust my right hand if I'm truly going to get my thumb to rest (in other words, I can't possibly play a simultaneous rest stroke with both p and either i or m and I don't think this is merely a matter of practice or coordination, but size of hand/length of fingers etc).

OR, another thought I am having is that some of you on thumb rest strokes are not necessarily following through all the way to the point of making contact with the next string 'down', in which case this is suddenly easy and not a challenge...I don't see this addressed so early on in any of my technique books and I'm wondering if anyone else is grappling with this? I don't want to get hung up on something that I may be entirely misunderstanding to begin with.

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Tales Lucin

Post by Tales Lucin » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:49 pm

I've come back to this lesson after a while absent.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:36 pm

welcome back Tales
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Tales Lucin

Post by Tales Lucin » Wed May 10, 2017 12:39 am

Hello guys! Here I am again.

Next day post Cadet Rousselle.

Thaks guys.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tales Lucin

Post by Tales Lucin » Wed May 10, 2017 2:38 pm

Finishing... 8)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Fri May 12, 2017 8:28 pm

welcome back Tales, good job
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Minh-Man Nguyen