D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Binh NguyenKhac
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

You make a guide video, just for me! :D . It helps a lot, Dustin. Now I have a great tool thanks to you. :casque:

Dustin McKinney

Post by Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:32 pm

Binh NguyenKhac wrote:You make a guide video, just for me! :D . It helps a lot, Dustin. Now I have a great tool thanks to you. :casque:
:discussion:

My pleasure! You've offered so many suggestions to progress my playing, that it's no big deal to me to make a video! Always happy to help a friend... I just hope I pronounced your name correctly! :lol:
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

Binh NguyenKhac

Post by Binh NguyenKhac » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:03 pm

About your right thumb, Dustin. Your problem from my understanding is that you use Green joint in your right thumb to play bass note(from my picture in previous post). And that's wrong, the correct joint is Red. But now you already have bad habit and it's hard to get rid of.

I have a idea, and it's from my experience. I used to have weak right thumb due to using wrong technique. So I borrowed an acoustic guitar and because its bass strings are made of steel ,it's harder than classical guitar to pluck. I tried to brute force it, playing as loud as possible. My goal was to erase bad habit, change from using green joint to red joint.

For a week, I practiced my right thumb: using a cloth to damp the sound and watching Game of thrones at the same time. Happy practice happy life :)

Dustin McKinney

Post by Dustin McKinney » Mon Jan 16, 2017 5:22 pm

Haha! I look forward to happy practice!
Francisco Navarro 630mm Student Classical (Spruce)
Kremona Fiesta FC

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:36 pm

It was nice hearing Binh and Dustin play. I really had nothing to add other than really good job from you both.

I shushed my wife during the Andante as she didn't know I was recording and was about to interrupt the recording. With all of the pauses, missed notes and the rest it was my best effort so I let the "shush" stand.

The Sor, hopefully, will be added tomorrow.

As simple as these were I had a tough time playing with consistency as well as musically let alone on tempo. :chaud:

Sal
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Two versions of the Sor. The first played is played as written. The second I took a bit of license with the beat. If any of you know music theory maybe you explain how the second one would be written? I will be away from the internet until next mid week. I won't be able to respond to feedback until then. :merci:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:52 pm

Salvatore Lovinello wrote:Two versions of the Sor.............. If any of you know music theory maybe you explain how the second one would be written?
If you turn back to the previous page, 55, you can see exactly how. You are lengthening the first quaver (1/8th note) of each pair by a 1/2 to make it a dotted quaver and shortening the 2nd note by 1/2 to make it a semiquaver (1/16th note).
Sounds interesting.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:01 am

I had some recordings I posted here, but deleted them after I heard everyone else's. My recordings sounded awful--a lot worse than my playing, I think. But who knows?

So, here's video of Andante Affettuoso. I am afraid I am not as advanced as most here.

Youtube
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Hi Jenni,

Post those recordings! We are here to learn. We are not graded traditionally for assignments. That is to say we don't get letter grades. That said we are being graded on a type of pass/fail system. The best way to fail is to not turn in assignments.

Now to your recording... You have a very nice tone. I would like to hear more musicianship. Perhaps more rubato along with variation in volume and tone.

In my experience it's not the length of time I spend practicing as much as how I practice. More often than not I will pick random measures, usually the more difficult passages, and spend as much time as it takes to play them adequately. Note that adequate is a relative term. I recognize that I will never be a world class guitarist so I don't agonize over not being able to play like one.

Don't be so hard on yourself. Look how far you've come already! Aside from the breaks you did a nice job. Thank you for posting it.

Sal

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Feb 02, 2017 1:33 am

Thanks for encouragement Sal. I do practice difficult measures on their own, but when I get ready to make a recording, I tend to practice the whole piece a lot. Maybe I lose some skill on the difficult parts in the process. Also, my hands aren't quite steady, which makes it difficult to fine tune volume and rhythm. Until recently, I've had to put my 4th finger down on the face of the guitar to steady my right hand. But I don't have to do that so much anymore, so I guess I am improving. I will consider musicality more in the future, maybe that will help me relax a little.

Also, I have a question: There is a damping that happens at the end of a lot of the phrases. I've been damping these notes with my left hand. I basically flatten my finger out. This appears to be wrong because no one else is doing it this way (that I can see). Should I be damping these notes with my right hand? I found the damping to be one of the most challenging things about this song.

Here is my second recording. I will post the scale exercise, tomorrow or soon after.

Youtube
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:04 am

Last submission for this month! :bye:

Youtube
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:29 pm

Dear classmates and admins,
Herewith my recordings for Leçon 5.
I am sorry it is late. Thank you kindly for your patience.
ANDANTE.mp3
Do_Maj_Gamme2.mp3
Allegretto.mp3
:merci:

Rajesh Dhungel

Post by Rajesh Dhungel » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:04 am

Hello everyone greetings :) :)
These are my recordings for the lesson.

D02 05 Joseph Meissonnier Adante Affettuosoen la mineur

Youtube

D02 05 Jean Francois Delcamp Gammes DO Majeur

Youtube

D02 05 Fernando Sor Allegeretto N2 Opus 44

Youtube