D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Andrei Puhach
Student of the online lessons

Re: D03 Classical guitar lesson 05

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:27 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Here are my first recordings of lesson 5

Lesson 5 Carulli PRELUDE
Hi Ed, in Carulli PRELUDE I think the rhythm should be more consistent: all notes have equal length. You are playing it in arpeggiato fashion :)
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:37 pm

Andrei - you are correct - I was playing it arpeggio. I will go back and listen to the recordings of the teacher and yours and work on the rhythm.

Ed Butler

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:43 pm

Andrei - in the teacher comments for PRELUDE it says it should be played as an arpeggio.

Ed Butler

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:18 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Andrei - in the teacher comments for PRELUDE it says it should be played as an arpeggio.

Ed Butler
Correct, it should be arpeggio, but you play it arpeggiato (another name "rolled chord"). From Wiki:
a chord that is played first with the lowest note and then with successive higher notes joining in is called arpeggiato
A good example arpeggiato is the beginning of Rodrigo's Guitar Concerto de Aranjuez (Theme from 2nd movement)
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:00 pm

Interesting, now I understand. thanks for the information. I will work on the arpeggio.

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:43 pm

My first attempts. As usual the 'switch the video on' effect is at work - or maybe I just don't notice the hesitations during practice!

PRELUDE N°4 opus 114

Youtube

GHIRIBIZZO n°1

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:51 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Here are my first recordings of lesson 5
Ed
It is probably worth slowing down even more so that you can get the timing even and then slowly build up the speed.

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Thu Jan 12, 2017 5:05 pm

Colin - thanks - I will slow down even more and focus more on correct timing.

To help me get over the "recording" freeze, I now try to record multiple times per week, making it, like everything else, a part of my practice routine. for me

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:02 am

My submissions for this months please comments. I skipped quite a few dampings in the GHIRIBIZZO piece. I'm not yet used to sight read above V-position, and still have trouble doing damping and reading at the same time.

Youtube

Youtube

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:14 am

Colin Bullock wrote:My first attempts. As usual the 'switch the video on' effect is at work - or maybe I just don't notice the hesitations during practice!
Hi Colin, these 2 assignments are quite solid and consistent.
Prelude comments: probably a wrong chord at 0:59. Also, I noticed an interesting thing that before starting each measure you land all fingers on strings, so as soon as a bass note starts ringing the trebles from the previous measure are muted. Is it done on purpose or it makes playing easier for you? Sounds like a combination of 114 and 114a :)
In the last measure there is some hesitation (same applies to me! )

Ghiribizzo comments: you played it in a more challenging way, with apoyando :) All damps are there, tone is good. Just a minor mistake at the end. Also, the guitar is a bit out of tune.

As of hesitations I noticed it is getting much worse towards the end, especially when pieces are long (like >2 minutes). I think the best way to deal with that is to learn last measures pretty well and even start learning pieces from the end :) Actually, even David Russell does that! Check out his interview on Youtube: "David Russell: Guitar Talks with Benjamin Verder"

Summary: great job!!
Cordoba C9

Chu Bun

Post by Chu Bun » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:12 am

Andrei,

Excellent performance as usual. It may the the recording, but I heard some buzzing sounds in the GHIRIBIZZO piece. Maybe the action is too low?

Ed,

For the first piece, as Andrei pointed out, the note tempos were not even. It seems your fingers form two groups p vs. ima. You may want to practice keeping i/m/a fingers on the strings as suggested in the lesson. It helps to develop independency between the fingers. For the second piece, each section should be played 2 times. There are also quite a few incorrect notes.

Colin,
Andrei's comments are very thorough. I don't have much to add. In the Ghiribizzo, for some reasons, The A bass note were OK, but the E an D bass notes were barely audible.

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:28 pm

Chu Bun wrote:My submissions for this months please comments. I skipped quite a few dampings in the GHIRIBIZZO piece. I'm not yet used to sight read above V-position, and still have trouble doing damping and reading at the same time.
Hi Chu,
great Prelude. I like the legato throughout!
As of Ghiribizzo, why not commit it to memory so that it is possible to concentrate on technique? This is a short piece. Everything except damping is good :)
Chu Bun wrote: It may the the recording, but I heard some buzzing sounds in the GHIRIBIZZO piece. Maybe the action is too low?
I probably played too loud, also, I'm still working on producing good tone :)
Yesterday I tried playing a bit softer, the tone was better. I can re-record it.
The action seems to be alright.
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:07 pm

Colin, Andrei, Chu - thanks for the great feedback. Just to be sure my practice is in the right direction. Are the redone exercises below better or am I still missing the mark badly.

PRELIDE (redone)

Youtube

GHIRIBIZZO (redone)

Youtube

ED Butler

Andrei Puhach

Post by Andrei Puhach » Fri Jan 13, 2017 6:54 pm

Ed Butler wrote:Colin, Andrei, Chu - thanks for the great feedback. Just to be sure my practice is in the right direction. Are the redone exercises below better or am I still missing the mark badly.

ED Butler
Hi Ed, in Prelude the rhythm is much better and more consistent than in the previous attempt. :bravo:
But some chords are repeated more times than necessary (at 0:44, 1:18)...

In Ghiribizzo the treble part is good, but bases are not muted and at 0:14 you play D (4th string) but it should be B (2nd string). Also, some wrong bass notes in part 2. Anyway, big improvement comparing to attempt #1 ! Keep it up!
Cordoba C9

Ed Butler

Post by Ed Butler » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:13 pm

Andrei - thank you. I will keep working on both pieces.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”