Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
David

Re: Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Postby David » Fri Nov 25, 2011 12:18 am

Montgomery

I'm glad that you're finding them useful.

Kampret
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

thendrix

Postby thendrix » Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:04 pm

Kampret wrote:... It dawned on me last year that learning the scales could be made easier by focusing on the patterns themselves...

Aaron Shearer's Scale Pattern Studies is based on this idea. Shearer concentrates on the scales as linkable and shiftable patterns. So no open strings. And the scales tend to not span as many frets as Segovias - or at least the ones I remember and play every day :) .

Shearer favored fingerings that avoid long shifts. So in his version of this scale
Kampret wrote: 2 4 // 1 2 4 // 1 3 - 1 3 // 1 2 4 // 1 3 4, on the way down 3 1 // 4 2 1 // 3 1 - 3 1 // 4 2 1 // 4 2.

the long shift // 1 3 - 1 3 // 1
becomes 2 shorter shifts
// 1 3 - 2 4 // 1

Really nice annotation symbology and fret board road maps.

David

Postby David » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:52 am

Tom

Thanks, I'll track down Shearer's scales and have a look at them.

Kampret
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

JoniG

Postby JoniG » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks for working these patterns out. They are a great learning tool and I can't wait to start working through them.
Joni :D

George Crocket

Postby George Crocket » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:56 pm

Hi Joni.

Welcome to the Delcamp classical guitar forum.

Perhaps you could take the time to introduce yourself here and get a true Delcamp welcome. To learn more about the forum and its rules, please have a look at our welcome page.

You already have access to all members' scores and recordings, and once you have posted your second message you can subscribe to group 002 which will give you access to the first 3 levels of the Delcamp score collections. Later you can apply for access to higher levels of the Delcamp collections as your postcount increases. Just ask if you have any questions. I look forward to seeing you around!

We hope you enjoy your time here.
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

Daniel Cumberland

Postby Daniel Cumberland » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:09 am

Thank you for posting these scales. This is EXACTLY what I was looking for.

ArrJayBee

Postby ArrJayBee » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:30 am

Thanks for these invaluable PDFs. I was looking for help with some of the finger patterns. I was coming up with my own but the patterns here are far better and more efficient.
Thank you again.

David

Postby David » Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:57 am

ArrJayBee wrote:Thanks for these invaluable PDFs. I was looking for help with some of the finger patterns. I was coming up with my own but the patterns here are far better and more efficient.
Thank you again.

Thank you but the patterns are Segovia's. I've just made them look pretty.

Amin Kawas

Postby Amin Kawas » Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:07 pm

Hi David, thanks for such organized work.
I'm totally a beginner, so excuse me for my question, but don't know anybody that can help me with such questions!
when I read Ascending & Descending I felt lost a bit, but for C Major Pattern (Ascending) we start from 1st string E at 8th fret with 4th finger? and for descending for C Major we start at 3rd fret (A string) ending at 7th fret (1st string) with 3rd finger right?
and why there is a difference between Ascending and Descending on Patterns for the same scale's name?

David

Postby David » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:50 am

Amin Kawas wrote:Hi David, thanks for such organized work.
I'm totally a beginner, so excuse me for my question, but don't know anybody that can help me with such questions!
when I read Ascending & Descending I felt lost a bit, but for C Major Pattern (Ascending) we start from 1st string E at 8th fret with 4th finger? and for descending for C Major we start at 3rd fret (A string) ending at 7th fret (1st string) with 3rd finger right?
and why there is a difference between Ascending and Descending on Patterns for the same scale's name?

Hi Amin

It looks like you're reading the fretboard maps upside down. Scales start on the lower (bass) strings, so C Major starts on the A String (5th string), 3rd fret (C) and goes up to E string (1st string), 8th fret (also C) and returns by retracing your steps. NB. In the fret maps I've made the lines representing the strings different widths so that people can relate them directly to the strings on the guitar (if that makes sense). Basically, the thickest line is the bass E & the thinnest the treble E.

The fretboard diagrams may appear to be upside down as you're playing your guitar, but there's madness in the method, highest string on the top, lowest on the bottom. (It's the same with tablature.)

As to why ascending differs from descending, there are two basic reasons; the minor scales have different notes when ascending than descending, the 6th & 7th notes are raised going up and return to the key signature when coming back down, so they have to be different; two, the Majors scales where they differ, it's probably because Segovia though it was useful in helping to learn more of the fretboard, in these instances, you can blame Andres.

Hope this is clear, or have I added to the confusion?

David

Amin Kawas

Postby Amin Kawas » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:05 am

David wrote:Hi Amin

It looks like you're reading the fretboard maps upside down. Scales start on the lower (bass) strings, so C Major starts on the A String (5th string), 3rd fret (C) and goes up to E string (1st string), 8th fret (also C) and returns by retracing your steps. NB. In the fret maps I've made the lines representing the strings different widths so that people can relate them directly to the strings on the guitar (if that makes sense). Basically, the thickest line is the bass E & the thinnest the treble E.

The fretboard diagrams may appear to be upside down as you're playing your guitar, but there's madness in the method, highest string on the top, lowest on the bottom. (It's the same with tablature.)

As to why ascending differs from descending, there are two basic reasons; the minor scales have different notes when ascending than descending, the 6th & 7th notes are raised going up and return to the key signature when coming back down, so they have to be different; two, the Majors scales where they differ, it's probably because Segovia though it was useful in helping to learn more of the fretboard, in these instances, you can blame Andres.

Hope this is clear, or have I added to the confusion?

David

Many many thanks David :oops:
And no, you made it pretty clear :D

:merci:

Hui Liu

Postby Hui Liu » Tue May 01, 2012 3:22 am

Thanks a lot for posting this.

Hui

robin loops

Postby robin loops » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:06 pm

Cool. Thank you for posting
One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them.
-James-

Canuck007

Postby Canuck007 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 2:30 am

Thanks so much. You have brought these scales into the modern era.
I use them daily.

Cheers
Paul

Rob Graft

Postby Rob Graft » Thu Aug 23, 2012 1:06 am

Wow!!!! this is awesome and sooo great of you to post. This is very helpful of learning, and is going to save me so much time!!
:merci: :merci: :bravo: :bye:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”