Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Lucio Araujo

Re: Segovia Scales - A Pattern Approach

Postby Lucio Araujo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:06 am

Hi,
Thank you very much for posting this. Very useful!

:bye:

Briant

Postby Briant » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:40 am

Thanks David
Looking forward to learning further patterns tonight. Great to have them presented so clearly.
Take a look at Charle Duncan's book "classical guitar 2000" where he describes a similar approach.

Dhruv Chaudhary

Postby Dhruv Chaudhary » Tue Apr 02, 2013 6:25 am

Hi,
thanks for the great upload.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu May 02, 2013 2:23 pm

Thank you so much for this. I am trying to establish a more disciplined practise regime and ths is a fantastic help!

jagos

Postby jagos » Thu May 09, 2013 9:00 pm

"if you knew the fingering to C Major, this could be applied to D Major, D♭ Major & E♭ Major"

Not only for these four scales but for all the major scales.

bleuquixote

Postby bleuquixote » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:29 pm

The information you created in those pdf files looks really great. Im a beginner player and desperatly looking to improve my skills. I bought a copy of the Segovia scales book but i really don't know where to start. Can you recommend and web-sites or other sources of information on how to get started on these scales? It just seems like you already need to understand a good bit about theory etc just to be able to use the Segovia book.
Thank you so much!

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:09 am

Hi bleuquixote, welcome to the forum. Could I invite you to introduce yourself here?

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

David

Postby David » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:17 am

bleuquixote wrote:The information you created in those pdf files looks really great. Im a beginner player and desperatly looking to improve my skills. I bought a copy of the Segovia scales book but i really don't know where to start. Can you recommend and web-sites or other sources of information on how to get started on these scales? It just seems like you already need to understand a good bit about theory etc just to be able to use the Segovia book.
Thank you so much!

The first place I'd look is here in Delcamp. There's been a lot of threads over the years on scales in general, not just Segovia's. Our members are a great resource, use them, ask questions, get involved. Other good resources are:

Bradford Werners publications.. His '20 Favourite Exercises for Classical Guitar' has a lot of elementary exercises to get you going. Plus he has videos of each of the exercises.

Simon Powis has some useful publications too but they're not free like some of Brads.

There's also Trevor Maurice's site, Learn Classical Guitar. I just get a little annoyed about the advertising on most of the pages. And yes, I know it's an income stream for Trevor, it can be a little tedious at times.

There are many more sites that you'll can find by searching the web or referenced by members here.

Seek out local guitar societies and join them.

If you can afford it find a teacher to help make sure that you have the basics sorted out. A good teacher can enable you to progress faster and also be a great guide to your musical journey.

If you want to start with the Segovia's scales the first one to learn is C Major as this has no sharps,flats or accidentals for you to worry about. They key is to play them slowly and aim for a legato (connected) sound. In Brad's '20 Favourite Exercises for Classical Guitar' he has a good exercise that uses C Major, Brad calls it "Scales: Destination Points", this is great for beginners.

That should be enough for you to think about.

Have Fun.

David
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Linda Shepherd

Postby Linda Shepherd » Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:36 pm

Hooray I have just discovered these files THANKS from a real newbie to this site! I thought it was time I got my head around these scales -I've played for years without really studying the, and now realise how much help they will be in learning the fretboard. I have seen various fret-board diagrams and been totally confused. The colour really does help. :P

David

Postby David » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:00 am

Minsterel wrote:Hooray I have just discovered these files THANKS from a real newbie to this site! I thought it was time I got my head around these scales -I've played for years without really studying the, and now realise how much help they will be in learning the fretboard. I have seen various fret-board diagrams and been totally confused. The colour really does help. :P

Thanks Minsterel, glad you find it useful.
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong." - Albert Einstein

Juanjo

Postby Juanjo » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:33 pm

Great idea and great work. Thanks David for sharing it with all of us.

I think that the pattern approach is very useful for the people that come, like I do, from the electric guitar. Now it's time to do the hard work and also learn all that notes with its names and its relations. In a couple of months (or maybe years) I will get rid of those unbearable tabs!

Joseph K

Postby Joseph K » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:50 pm

Thank you for these.

hhguitar2013

Postby hhguitar2013 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:28 pm

I just completed the first exercise in C major and am in awe of the works ahead. Then I saw this patterned approach. Thanks so much!!

Sungazer

Postby Sungazer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:14 am

Thanks David, these scales of greatly help me with learning the fretboard, and improve my finger's dexterity too. CHeers :merci: :bravo:

Prashanth Sebastian

Postby Prashanth Sebastian » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:35 pm

thank you for sharing this... :bravo:

:merci:

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”