Students' Corner

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Students' Corner

Postby GeoffB » Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:24 am

This topic was created in response to a suggestion from Goran Penic (thank you, Goran), and following similar examples on the French and Italian forums.

It is a meeting place for students of the online courses at all levels to discuss things more widely which may not be specific to a particular lesson or level. For instance, information could be shared here on topics such as music theory and recording methods.

Students could also present recordings of pieces they are working on, but which are not among the "required" pieces for their lesson, in order to get feedback and advice from other students. Of course we have the "Our recordings" forums for finished pieces, but this topic could be an alternative for those students who may not feel ready to post there yet.

Over to you!

Best wishes,
Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Goran Penic
Student of the online lessons

Re: Students' Corner

Postby Goran Penic » Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:54 pm

:merci: Dear Geoff.
To see exactly what it is I publish here PM I went to Geoff and some other of our virtuous Moderator:
Goran Penic wrote:Dear friends,
Is there a possibility to open a topic on "On-line classical guitar lessons" ("Student corner" or something like that) in which students could put their work outside of lessons. In which students could comment on various things that are in some way outside of student groups to which they belong or related general things. This especially makes sense in a time of "summer holidays". Since much of the conversation moves from the past to the archives I think a place like this left a lot of important things that would be useful for future students, and would give the possibility to everyone to show what's still working out the lessons.
One of the reasons for creating such a topic is that I would not want to insult someone's good taste (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=83368#p900103), but still I would like to to show some things I've done.
This idea came to me during last summer when I recorded some pieces and I did not know where to put them since they do not belong to the lessons, and I was convinced they were good enough to put them in "Our recordings of ....". So the above discussion is not the reason of this message, but it only prompted me to expose an idea that was independently created earlier.
Because'm not a expert in the English language, I hope I managed to convey the proper spirit of this initiative, in which there are no complaints, but only good intentions.
Best Regards
:bye:

Because I know that some of the students have very good recordings on their Youtube channels that are not presented here because they are not part of the set of lessons and since I believe that some of us have issues that may not be directly related to the lessons that currently handle I hope that one place like this help to overcome such "trouble".
Once again, excuse my "Google translate" English.
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

BillTurner

Postby BillTurner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:45 am

Hullo Goran
My name is Bill.
There is no need to apologize for your English. it is a lot better that a lot of English peoples, Including mine.
I am grateful for the suggestion of this page, because I have only just started to use this forum and to learn the classical guitar. It is nice to be able to ask about things that do not necessarily relate to the lessons.
For example, I don't know how post to my practice sessions to the the do1 forum so that other students can see them and comment. Perhaps you can advise me on this.
submitted with respect
Bill

Goran Penic

Postby Goran Penic » Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:35 pm

Hi bill,
I'm glad you decided to join us.
As for your questions here's links to the pages of this forum, where you'll find answers:
FAQs for lessons : http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=41&t=62687
How to Participate in the Delcamp Classical Guitar Forum: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewforum.php?f=30,
and a special section for posting Youtube videos:
XIV BBCode for embedding a YouTube video in your message: http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=49794.

Of course, first of all it is necessary to open a channel on Youtube if you want to send video clips.
If you want submit audio recordings then you add them just by using the menu located under the box within which you write a message.

Uputa.jpg

Sure a prerequisite for all this is that at home record yourself performance in any of these forms. :)

I hope I have to some extent managed to answer your question.
Once again I greet you and wish you much success and good luck.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bill Jones

Postby Bill Jones » Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:19 pm

I am not an Online Student. I am taking private lessons locally. Would it still be appropriate for me to post here as well? Also, since it is the "Students' Corner", are "beginner" or "newbie" questions tolerated here? Or is it just for lesson oriented discussion/recording posts? I have searched on a number of topics and found a lot of good information, but it's not the same as having a current conversation about the topic.

For instance, in playing fingerstyle on my steel-string acoustics, I have always preferred to grow out my fingernails. On my classical guitar, I am finding that I like the sound better with my fingernails trimmed short. What are other beginning students experiencing with this? Or would this question be better suited for a "Beginners' Corner"?

Bill J

BillTurner

Postby BillTurner » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:50 pm

thank you Goran
I'll try all the things you have suggested. It is nice to know that you can share information with someone with a common interest and get useful advice. Onc again, your Engilish excellant, so don't worry about it.
thank again
Bill

jeff_hatcher

Postby jeff_hatcher » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:09 pm

Bill Jones wrote:I am not an Online Student. I am taking private lessons locally. Would it still be appropriate for me to post here as well? Also, since it is the "Students' Corner", are "beginner" or "newbie" questions tolerated here? Or is it just for lesson oriented discussion/recording posts? I have searched on a number of topics and found a lot of good information, but it's not the same as having a current conversation about the topic.

For instance, in playing fingerstyle on my steel-string acoustics, I have always preferred to grow out my fingernails. On my classical guitar, I am finding that I like the sound better with my fingernails trimmed short. What are other beginning students experiencing with this? Or would this question be better suited for a "Beginners' Corner"?

Bill J

I've seen fingernail lengths range the gamut from barely grown out to eagle talons, and heard good results both ways. I, personally, like to keep them about 1-2mm past the tips of my fingers, with a slight ramping toward the "pinky" side of the hand. I feel like the sound gets too thin if the nails are longer.

I've also heard (and have been putting into practice) that a good stroke combines a contacts between the fleshy part of the finger and the nail nearly simultaneously. That's hard to do with longer fingernails. Also important to your tone is keeping your fingernails buffed and smoothed. David Jaggs has offered his approach in one of his youtube videos, which is freely available as a teaser for his "Tone production on the classical guitar: part 1".

I would like to repeat the question: Do we have to be Student's of Mr. Delcamp's online lessons, or can we post here if we are studying elsewhere, and just want to learn from/help out fellow beginners?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Postby GeoffB » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:59 am

That's a good question. There isn't a strict rule, though this topic was mainly set up for students of the online lessons, and I'm a little wary of the possibility that it might be swamped if everyone else starts to use it for general discussions. That can make a thread laborious to wade through. Bear in mind that there are other parts of the forum where members of all levels, including beginners. can ask questions about nails, for example, ( Use of nails in playing the classical guitar), and other general questions about learning to play (Classical Guitar Classes).

On the other hand it has always been hoped that experienced members, especially teachers, would help out in the lesson threads, giving useful feedback to students, something that unfortunately hasn't happened very much. If experienced members wanted to answer students' questions here, that would be welcome.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:21 am

If someone, whether Delcamp student, or outside the lessons, wants to have comments from more experienced members or possibly teachers, they probably will have more luck posting in 'Our recordings...' sections than here, although even in that section one usually tends to get supportive feedback rather than constructive criticism.

My observation has been that 'On-line lessons' works much like peer-to-peer network. Those who give comments generously also tend to get back comments. It's not easy writing detailed criticism that one thinks would benefit the person who receives it. It also usually requires watching several videos (of several pieces) to get a clear picture of someone's shortcomings to be able to make accurate observations and suggestions.

I don't want to discourage anyone from outside the lessons from posting their video in this thread, but simply want to point out that it's a game of give and take, and one should adjust their expectations regarding any feedback accordingly. Giving specific points one would like to get feedback about when posting the video will likely increase the rate of success :)
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

LindaWoodford

Postby LindaWoodford » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:53 pm

I've just come across this thread and think it is a great idea of Goran's.

I'm also in agreement with Marko's comment.

I think this space will be a great place for people who actively participate in the lessons - and, of course, the lessons are open to everyone to participate in.

Thanks Geoff for setting it up.
Regards, Linda

Goran Penic

Postby Goran Penic » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:40 am

LindaWoodford wrote:--
I think this space will be a great place for people who actively participate in the lessons - and, of course, the lessons are open to everyone to participate in.
---

I completely agree.

Goran Penic

Postby Goran Penic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:26 am

This Remote Duo have made these days by my Youtube friend, also a member of this forum Antonio Stangherlin and I .
Antonio made ​​a video, and pictures that we use are paintings made by my wife from the series "Dreams".
The piece that we played was composed by Marc Lamberg http://www.guitares.org/english.html, a work called En toute simplicité.

Youtube

:merci: for watching

LindaWoodford

Postby LindaWoodford » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:40 am

What a delightful piece! I really enjoyed listening and looking at the dancing figures. Thank you for sharing this.
Which part did you play?
It's a long long time since I played with someone else - must be nice to have a colleague close by who plays too.
Regards, Linda

Goran Penic

Postby Goran Penic » Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:18 am

LindaWoodford wrote:What a delightful piece! I really enjoyed listening and looking at the dancing figures. Thank you for sharing this.
Which part did you play? ...

:merci: Linda. I play Gitar2 (Guitar 2 start with arpeggios have some solo in the middle and then end with arpeggio).

LindaWoodford wrote:...
must be nice to have a colleague close by who plays too.

Yes, but it is hard to find. Another reason to be grateful that there exists Delcamp Forum and Youtube :discussion:

Marko Räsänen

Postby Marko Räsänen » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 am

Very nice Goran and Antonio! :bravo:

The "remote" part was very well done too. I never would have guessed you actually weren't playing together :shock:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”