Students' Corner

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
LindaWoodford

Re: Students' Corner

Post by LindaWoodford » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:40 pm

Hi Steve,
Welcome to the forum and to the lessons.

Beatriz can clearly type faster than me :wink: and gave a great answer - she has made amazing progress over the past year or so by following these lessons, so you can trust what she says.

In response to your question about recording set-ups, it is possible to spend quite a lot of time and money and get a very professional result, but for the purposes of the lessons, I'm sure your current laptop will be fine (just test it out as Beatriz said). I recorded level 1 & most of level 2 with my mobile phone. I now have a much better mic, and it does make a huge difference, but the phone recordings were perfectly adequate (and I still use it for the video). Placement makes quite a difference, and I found that about 20-30 cm in front of the sound hole was a good starting point to experiment from. It really helps those who are giving feedback if you can get your left and right hands in shot.

Regarding the material, the lessons are pretty comprehensive and there will be plenty to keep you fully occupied. The Noad book you mention is highly regarded, as is the Sagreras method, which is free for download on this site. Sometimes it might help to see something explained in a different way.

@Beatriz - good luck in your ensemble group. I think it's really great that you have found such a group close to where you live, and I'm looking forward to hearing how you get on. Are you still going to take the Delcamp exam this year ? (you have probably completed enough of the course to qualify)
Thanks also for your kind comments - I think my contribution is pretty minor compared with the others, though. You are pretty inspirational here yourself, you know!
Regards, Linda

Beatriz Martin

Post by Beatriz Martin » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:59 pm

Thanks Linda, I would like to take the exam, I completed 7 lessons. The ensemble goes until the middle of April, so after that I plan to resume the lessons and study for the exam. I will try to post some ensemble piece here later on.

Stephen Graham

Post by Stephen Graham » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:07 am

Thanks very much for the input Linda and Bea. I have decided to put the other methods down for now, though I do tend to play some pieces I already know for a warm up at this point ( well used and abused hands need some stretching ) Working at it from the start, funny how when you See structure, Read structure and just , well, it sort of goes by the wayside when you play for yourself ( or at least when I play for myself ) - until you have to record it and let others see it! More difficult to keep actual and correct timing even with a metronome ( I really need to get one that I like the sound of so I will use it ) and I am not used to deading notes at all, this ought to be fun - more fun then doing it without any goals at all. I appreciate the feedback. It'll be a day or three before I think I am ready to start recording, but I plan on testing the laptop thing in the morning.
Steve
Takamine C132S

Håvard.Bergene
Student of the online lessons

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:35 pm

I'd like to post the result of a good game of music (D03 Lesson 7 - Musical game) which I started in April 2013. The game stalled after only 3 bars until this years D03 students picked it up. :merci: Chris Capener, Pentti Kotilainen, Marian Kmet, William Tee, 
Satyajit Kadle, Win Chaivipas, Catherine Livingston and George Karpenkov.

Here is a recording of me playing the Midnight Menuet. I'd wish to spend more time practicing before performing, but unfortunately I'm too occupied with the D05 lessons and work, etc... As good as I can manage in a couple of hours.

Youtube

Please comment in the Musical Game thread "D03 X players 2 voices 1 measure": viewtopic.php?f=109&t=76584 (to avoid flooding this thread)
Alhambra 11P

Håvard.Bergene

Post by Håvard.Bergene » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:57 pm

I remember being confused about the registration in the Spanish forum, so here is an explanation of how it works :)

If you're not already registered (by doing something like the following):
Register for the spanish forum here
Press "Estoy de acuerdo con las reglas" (I agree to the rules)
Write your username (remember full name...), email, repeat email, password (6-30 characters), repeat password. Choose language and time zone, write the number of days in December (with numbers, not words).
Then you should present yourself (as you did when registering here in the English forum) International - English (see other presentation for ideas)

When you are registered (confirmation email?) or if you registered last year continue here:
Now you may ask to be registered in the Students group (Alumno de los cursos en linea) Registration for the Year-end Exam
(You now have the required 2 posts to use the forum (downloading/posting etc.), but be patient about being added to the students group. It will be updated in time!-)
The exam will be announced in the Online classical guitar lessons Cursos de guitarra clásica en línea

You may want to check out Cursos Anteriores de Guitarra Clásica / Classical guitar lessons archive to see how the exam was done last year.
Alhambra 11P

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:45 pm

Håvard.Bergene wrote:I remember being confused about the registration in the Spanish forum, so here is an explanation of how it works :)
Bravo Håvard. Thank you for your efforts. This will certainly be very helpful for many of the students :bravo: :discussion:
:bye:
Guitar: Mirko Hotko 1989
Strings: D'Addario EJ46TT Pro Arte Dynacore Hard Tension
Recorder: Olympus LS-20M

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:01 am

I joined D02 for 2-3 months and find the lessons great! Very well organized, most of he pieces are very nice, free pdf to download, exams, what else would someone want from online lessons?
What seems strange to me is the small number of students in each class. I rally can't understand why in D02 are only about 7-8 students. Of course there is also Spanish, French and Italian forum, but again the number of 7-8 students from the rest of the world seems very small to me..

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:38 am

It seems to me that this is very interesting for all of us

"From the online magazine Si Corde ! Thomas Viloteau talks about filing and shaping the right hand finger nails. (The grade of sandpaper used in the video is 600. It is a regular type that can be found in most hardware stores)."

Youtube

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:23 am

:merci: Goran, that was great. It is very clearly explained, and the difference in sound is really noticeable. I also really appreciated seeing the close-up of his attack on the strings - very interesting.

:merci: for sharing this!
Regards, Linda

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:32 pm

Yesterday, I tried this method. Now I have a problem because none of my finger does not getting stuck on the string. :) I also was surprised on which way I need to shape my nails - especially ring finger.

LindaWoodford

Post by LindaWoodford » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:17 pm

none of my finger does not getting stuck on the string.
Do you mean that your nails are so smooth now that they just glide over the strings without making a sound :?: :D

I'm interested to know which way you needed to file your ring finger. Do you always attack the string the same way with this finger when you play with different styles? (e.g. rest and free strokes, and when doing tremolo, arpeggios or just a simple melody line)
Regards, Linda

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:27 am

LindaWoodford wrote:Do you always attack the string the same way with this finger when you play with different styles? (e.g. rest and free strokes, and when doing tremolo, arpeggios or just a simple melody line)
When using ramped nails, which is the consequence of using the sandpaper over strings method, the direction of the ramp will define the way of the attack. At least I cannot see how would it be possible to play against the direction of the ramp, not to speak of the sense in doing so. Unless you meant the same direction but slightly different angles? I guess the reason for playing the different styles against the sandpaper is to come up with an average that works equally well for all the styles. But if you have a need for nails that could be used when attacking both ways, this method isn't for you.

Having used this method at some point, I rejected it for the following reasons:
- It takes too much time (and as you can only do it when you access to your guitar, you could have done your nails earlier and use the time for playing)
- It could have been down to my technique, but I found that the sandpaper was grinding away the nails immediately at the contact point faster than further down the ramp, making the ramps unnecessarily steep.
- Using straight ramps allow for very little variation in attack angle, and therefore little variation in tone. I am using nowadays much shorter nails that are shaped like a cross between ramps and round nails. The ramp starts steep on the contact side (left side for me), and levels off towards the release side. I have rounded off the release side as well. The 'a' finger ramp angle is more level to begin with compared to 'i' and 'm' to compensate for the different attack angle. The tone is more pleasing for the ear in the relatively small spaces I play my guitar at. If I needed to get more volume and projection out of the guitar at the cost of losing some tone, steeper and longer ramps would be called for.

Sandpaper method was still very good in helping to understand the interaction between the nail and string.
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:24 pm

Beautiful piece. Also the artwork was fantasic!! The music and artwork went extremely well together

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 am

Here's a recording test with my new guitar. I am trying to simplify my recording process so I am using Zoom Q3HD only for both audio and video. Inevitably the audio contains more of the room and noise this way, having to keep the microphone capsules further away from the guitar than would be needed when recording with an external mic. A bonus is that I can use the single mic stand for Q3HD allowing much more freedom with camera placement. It is normally occupied holding the external mic.

The piece is Op.35 no.17 (Segovia #6) by Fernando Sor, found in D04 collection, and I would appreciate any comments regarding that as well. I damp the bass notes as instructed in D04 revision of the piece, but no-one else seems to play it that way. There are some hesitations, and buzzing/smothered notes partly because I haven't worked with the piece for that long, and partly because I'm still adjusting to the shallower neck of the Cordoba C12.

Youtube
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

Goran Penic

Post by Goran Penic » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:31 am

:bravo: Marko. Beautiful sound and nice guitar. :casque:
I like this way of performance with separate bas notes.
It would be good, for comparison, with the same settings get the shot of that piece on your old guitar.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”