2014 exams

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Catherine Livingston

Re: 2014 exams

Post by Catherine Livingston » Tue May 27, 2014 12:10 am

Thanks for the good questions Carl. Geoff, thank you for explaining the process for registering on the Spanish forum for the exam so clearly.
This is very helpful for me as well since this will be my first exam on this site. :) I wasn't aware that our status as active could be cancelled on the Spanish forum if we don't post at least once a month. The timezone is another thing to consider....
I'll be sure to post on the early side for the D03 exam.
:) Cat

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Thu May 29, 2014 12:39 am

Does anyone know when the diploma's will be provided, that's if one passed the exam! I submitted my piece on time but haven't heard anything yet.

Marko Räsänen

Post by Marko Räsänen » Thu May 29, 2014 5:06 am

Scott, you submitted your piece several days before the exam period started, and therefore the moderator removed your piece from the exam thread. Unfortunately it seems that you never checked back to the thread, so that you could have reinserted your piece back when the exam period started. Therefore I'm afraid that the judges never saw your submission :desole:
Alhambra 4P spruce
Almansa 457 cedar
Cordoba C12 spruce

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Thu May 29, 2014 6:21 am

Gee, that looks like a tough rule....

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Thu May 29, 2014 11:30 am

I'm really sorry to hear that, Scott.

The diploma does have official recognition in France, so I suppose they have to apply the rules very strictly, and in the conditions at the beginning of the exam submission threads (here for D01) it states:
To take part in this exam, students will have to post a recording of the required piece on the specified dates (between 2014-05-13 and 2014-05-15 for level D01). The recording should be posted as a reply to my post entitled "D01 Examen de fin de curso".
It's very unfortunate that you missed that and didn't see the mod comment on your post, but I hope you'll try for and have more luck with the D02 exam next year with the benefit of experience.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Haris Karachristianidis
Student of the online lessons

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Fri May 30, 2014 6:03 pm

Marko Räsänen wrote:Scott, you submitted your piece several days before the exam period started, and therefore the moderator removed your piece from the exam thread. Unfortunately it seems that you never checked back to the thread, so that you could have reinserted your piece back when the exam period started. Therefore I'm afraid that the judges never saw your submission :desole:
I feel very sorry that someone has to repeat exams next year for that reason...
There is no reason for such a rule.. Why could someone not participate in the exams because he posted the exams peace before the exams period?
After the moderators deleted Scott's submission, was he notified with pm or email?

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Fri May 30, 2014 6:38 pm

I don't know whether a PM was sent (if so it would have been on the Spanish forum), but I see several other students had posted too early, and a moderator then posted a warning on the exam thread here immediately before Scott's post. It's sad, I agree, but I'm afraid we'll have to accept that the dates are clearly specified in the conditions, more than once in fact, and students are expected to read and follow all the conditions when posting their exam piece.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." - Steven Wright

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:26 am

When and where will D02 results be out?
Thank you

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:22 am

The D02 results were due out yesterday, but I don't see them yet, so it's possible they may have been delayed slightly by the anniversary preparations. I would expect them to appear in the next day or two. They will be on the Spanish online lessons forum here. Look out for a new topic called "Calificaciones D02- 2014". And good luck!

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Sun Jun 01, 2014 7:15 pm

That's fine! My reward is playing. It would have been nice to have the diploma, but it's not the ultimate goal. As for the moderator sending an email, a notification came through my personal email in Spanish . I speak no Spanish so it could have been in Chinese as far as I'm concerned and I could not navigate very well in the Spanish forum so basically I didn't go back. I do agree, it's a tough rule, and not entirely fair. I will sign up for year two, but not sure if I want to take anymore exams. Going through the Spanish forum wasn't exactly enjoyable and piece of paper doesn't determine who is or is not a musician.

Thanks Geoff for checking into this for me, I appreciate it.

Haris Karachristianidis

Post by Haris Karachristianidis » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:48 am

Scott, I would suggest to reupload all D01 recordings next year (you have them ready) and learn and upload on time the exams piece. And follow D02 which be your main course next year. Diploma is not the goal, but why not have it?
I post in the Spanish forum without knowing any Spanish with help of translators like translate.google.com. I can communicate well this way. Spanish people are very friendly and participate a lot. If you need any help with the Spanish forum, let me know.

GeoffB
Chief moderator
Chief moderator

Post by GeoffB » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:40 am

I think you have the right attitude, Scott, in that the goal of the lessons is to learn, and the reward is the improvement in your playing, with the diploma just being an optional extra if you want it. As Haris said, you could retake D01 next year if you wish, along with D02, but bear in mind that the set pieces can change from year to year, so you will probably need to work on new recordings, as well as giving feedback to other D01 students. Consequently you'll need to work out how much time you have available if you do decide to do both levels.

You shouldn't really need to know Spanish in order to submit your exam piece if you follow the FAQ and the various links given in other relevant places, but for next year, with the benefit of hindsight, I'll try to put together a more detailed and prominent guide to how to submit the exam piece and avoid the pitfalls experienced by several candidates this year.

Meanwhile I second Haris's recommendation of the Google translator - I use it a lot when dealing with unfamiliar languages, and while it may sometimes give odd results, usually you can get a pretty good idea of the meaning.

Geoff
Classical Guitar Forum.

Scott Fountain

Post by Scott Fountain » Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:17 am

Harris and Geoff,

Great points, I'll have to think over your ideas. Since I am start practicing year two stuff already and have all my recording from year one, it may be something to consider. Of course, I was thinking of take years two and three in September so I have to think this one through.

CarlWestman

Post by CarlWestman » Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Exam results for D02 and D05 have just been posted. Congratulations to all who completed the course!

Not sure where to download diploma though. Last year I think they were attached to the posting listing those who completed the exam. Perhaps I should just refresh the page periodically until they appear?

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”