D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jenni Gribble
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 01

Post by Jenni Gribble » Sat Jan 09, 2016 12:40 am

Here is my first video, "Au Clare de la Lune." Please let me know if I am doing something terribly wrong. Sorry, I do realize that you can't see my right hand. I will try toe fix that in later videos. Also, after watching this, I realize that I am holding the whole notes for too long. I think I am anticipating the next phrase a little much (nerves).

Youtube

Michael Tyson

Post by Michael Tyson » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:59 am

Sounds very nice Jenni. I'm a beginner so I can't really comment on your technique or anything, but it sounded great!

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:20 pm

Jenni Gribble wrote:Here is my first video, "Au Clare de la Lune." Please let me know if I am doing something terribly wrong. Sorry, I do realize that you can't see my right hand. I will try toe fix that in later videos. Also, after watching this, I realize that I am holding the whole notes for too long. I think I am anticipating the next phrase a little much
This sounds good and you are able to detect your own faults which is a big advantage.
Yes, the whole notes are held too long and the anticipation is giving a slight staccato sound, but that will go with practice. I find playing a little slower in practice sessions helps.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:14 am

Here are my three additional videos for this lesson. I had the most trouble with "Old MacDonald". Switching to the right hand position is tough.

Youtube

Youtube

Old MacDonald (I think I am too close the speaker or something here)

Youtube

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:59 am

Hi everyone. I apologize for being so late with this lesson. I am trying to catch up. Any comments are welcome and appreciated.
Thank you.
Juan

CORDES A VIDE - OPEN STRING (page 6)

Youtube

Old Mac Donald

Youtube

Au clair de la lune

Youtube

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:19 pm

Hi Jenni,
Overall, good job!

Watch your left hand in the Old McDonald video from 0:05 to 0:07. I think you use too much force to lift your fingers up from a fretted note and lift them too high. It's a common error among beginners anyway. Try this exercise:

With a loose and relaxed left hand, touch the string slightly with a finger on any fret. Apply pressure, hold down the note and pluck the string. Now very quickly, release the tension of the left hand finger but still keep it on the string, returning to the initial position. Think about it: turn off!, and voila, off the pressure. Do it several times to get used to the feel. Now do the same but allow the finger to bounce up above the string just a little bit. That's how you should play in general. Practice until the feel becomes muscle memory.

Hi Juan,

Well done. My advice for you is the same as for Jenni. Watch your left hand pinky: it's pointing up and being tensed all the time, so it takes a long time to travel to the fretboard.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:16 pm

Thank you Cao! Yes, I had noticed in the video that I was doing that with my left hand. I think I am trying to get my fingers "out of the way"--afraid I will touch a string by accident. But I suspect it will cause problems if I continue to do this. Thanks for the exercise. I wasn't sure how to fix this.

I am not a complete beginner. I played classical guitar as a child and teen (I had lessons and performed at school in a guitar ensemble); however, it has been many years since I played much of anything, but I know I didn't do that with my left hand way back when. Go Figure. I also have a folk harp that I dabble around with. It requires more force to pluck than a guitar and you have to "get out of the way" of vibrating strings. I think I am somehow transferring that concept to the guitar. Interesting, that's all. I will work on fixing it.
Last edited by Jenni Gribble on Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:28 pm

Jenni,
The closer the fingers to the strings (without accidentally touching them, of course), the better, because they need to travel a less distance and you need to expend less energy to perform the movements. This is crucial in fast play. Try searching for La Catedral, 3rd movement to watch how the pros move their fingers.

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:19 am

I tried the exercise. It feels much better and improves the sound. Thank you Cao.

Juan Silva

Post by Juan Silva » Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:10 am

Cao,
Thank you for your insightful comments.
Also, I didn't realize the pinky while plucking the strings...sure makes a difference to stay close to the fretboard. I'll continue to work on that. Thanks!

Beth Penn

Post by Beth Penn » Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:54 am

Hello everyone! I am new and will be trying to catch up. I find the forum format a little confusing. Can anyone tell me what lesson the class is currently on? Here are my first videos. Thanks for any feedback! -Beth

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:48 am

Beth Penn wrote:Hello everyone! I am new and will be trying to catch up. I find the forum format a little confusing. Can anyone tell me what lesson the class is currently on? Here are my first videos. Thanks for any feedback! -Beth
Hi Beth, your doing pretty good, nice job on your first videos.

The 6th of 10 lessons per level (D01, D02, etc..) was just posted on Monday. There is a lesson calendar for 2015/2016 posted here
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Beth Penn

Post by Beth Penn » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:52 am

Thank you. The lesson calendar is just what I needed!

amysmith27001

Post by amysmith27001 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:56 pm

Hi, can I ask what is the number "8" under the treble clef means on page 6?

Zafar Haq

Post by Zafar Haq » Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:23 pm

Hi, amysmith27001,

wiki definition
"Octave clef
Treble and bass clefs can also be modified by octave numbers. An eight or fifteen above a clef raises the intended pitch range by one or two octaves respectively. Similarly, an eight or fifteen below a clef lowers the pitch range by one or two octaves respectively. A treble clef with an eight below is the most commonly used, typically used for guitar and similar instruments."
Meaning guitar notes are written one octave higher than the piano notes.You are reading guitar music sheet indicating 8 under clef sign.
If the same music sheet is used for piano,the 8 number will be removed.
On page 6,your first note is a "half note" "e" placed on string "1".
If same note is played with out 8 on treble clef, it will be one octave below, played on low 4th string pressing fret 2.On page 9, "Old Macdonald" piece, just check "E" whole note,representing one octave below.
Example of octave.
C Scale is written as,
C-D-E-F-G-A-B-
One octave higher C scale will continue after B on higher pitch.Same for one octave lower C scale will be played on lower pitch.
Hope this may help. :)

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”