D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Jean-François Delcamp
Administrator
Administrator

D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Postby Jean-François Delcamp » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:43 am

Hello everyone,
Please start by downloading the latest version of volume D01.
If you are new to the course, please read this message to familiarize yourself with the conditions for participating in the lessons. You should also read the first message in lesson 1, where you will find advice on how to make the most of your study time and on the methods of practising that I recommend.

First we will study some technical exercises from volume D01.
Page 54: C major scale. Be sure to damp the notes properly in the descending passages. To damp the notes in the descending passages: lean the fingers of the left hand against the vibrating strings. Work on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo.

Youtube

Page 59: In the following exercises, you will work on getting a smooth join between notes, that is to say that you will end one or more notes at the exact moment that you start the following note (or notes). Exercises 17 to 20 are for the fingers of the right hand. The sign (x) indicates that the right hand finger is placed on the string.
Exercise 21 is for the left hand: lean the left hand finger to damp the adjacent string at the same time as you start the new note.

D01 p59 n17

Youtube

D01 p59 n18

Youtube

D01 p59 n19

Youtube

D01 p59 n20

Youtube

D01 p59 n21

Youtube

Finally, we'll look at six simple tunes, pages 11 to 15
Anonymous: Doucement, doucement

Youtube

Anonymous: Jig

Youtube

Anonymous: London's burning, canon

Youtube

Anonymous: Une souris verte

Youtube

Anonymous: J'ai du bon tabac

Youtube

Anonymous: La tête bizarde

Youtube

Anonymous: Frère Jacques, canon

Youtube

I ask you first to work on all these exercises and tunes for a week and then to upload your recordings of:
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Good luck!

I thank Geoff (GeoffB), Dan (dng) and flameproof, who have helped in the translation of my lessons into English.

Jean-François

---

Exam qualifying submissions:

The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Zafar Haq
The C major scale
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac
Exercise No. 20

David Florea
The C major scale
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac
Exercise No. 20

Peera Tienthong
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Charles Ramcharan
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Chad Coffey
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Pyit Phyo Aung
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20

Lê Vĩnh Hà
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Salvatore Lovinello
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Cao Nguyen
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Jonathan Lamb
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Janet Hillenbrand
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Warley Lima
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Tom Hayes
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Steven Galvin
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Mark Coprada
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Angela Zhao
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Jenni Gribble
Une souris verte
The C major scale
J'ai du bon tabac
Exercise No. 20

Juan Silva
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac

Thuc Anh Nguyen
The C major scale
Exercise No. 20
Une souris verte
J'ai du bon tabac
:( + ♫ = :)

Lê Vĩnh Hà
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Postby Lê Vĩnh Hà » Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:54 pm

Hi everyone,
I have a question about working on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo. Is that just control the strength of right hand's fingers or is there something else that we need pay attention when do that technique? Thanks. :merci:

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi Le Vinh Ha. In order to control the output volume you need to listen to the sound and adjust the finger strength accordingly. I don't know about the very fine guitars that cost a fortune but by nature, some notes on the guitar sound clearly louder than others, given the same attacking force. For my guitar it's the open string G note, so I must tune its volume down a bit. What I think is more difficult to achieve is to be able to increase and decrease the volume evenly, from the quietest to the loudest notes.

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sat Oct 10, 2015 6:15 pm

Lê Vĩnh Hà wrote:Hi everyone,
I have a question about working on controlling the volume by playing crescendo and decrescendo. Is that just control the strength of right hand's fingers or is there something else that we need pay attention when do that technique? Thanks. :merci:

Hi Le,

The crescendo is analogous to turning the volume knob on a radio gradually from very low volume range increasing to the loud volume range.

The decrescendo would be similar but in the the opposite direction, decreasing from loud to soft.

The pressure or force exerted by the fingers as they graze across the strings can be as light as a feather--at the pianissimo range--or very strong and firm--at the forte range.

Another analogous example might be like painting with a brush, the very feather light brush strokes are soft and delicate applying thinner layers of paint. Very bold brush strokes press into the canvas more firmly and apply thicker layers of paint. The fingers likewise can be trained to respond at will like brush strokes across the strings :-)

Professor Delcamp's C major scale exercise is meant to begin exercising this area of technique. Listen closely to the video and the crescendo volume he applies at the beginning of the scale compared to when he reaches the highest notes. Conversely, notice the decrescendo volume is louder when he first descends the scale at the higher notes, then it gets softer as he reaches the lower notes in the scale. The volume changes coincide with the crescendo/decrescendo markings/symbols on p. 54 in the exercise.
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Lê Vĩnh Hà

Postby Lê Vĩnh Hà » Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:58 am

John Montes wrote:
Lê Vĩnh Hà wrote:Hi everyone,

Hi Le,

The crescendo is analogous to turning the volume knob on a radio gradually from very low volume range increasing to the loud volume range.

The decrescendo would be similar but in the the opposite direction, decreasing from loud to soft.

The pressure or force exerted by the fingers as they graze across the strings can be as light as a feather--at the pianissimo range--or very strong and firm--at the forte range.

Another analogous example might be like painting with a brush, the very feather light brush strokes are soft and delicate applying thinner layers of paint. Very bold brush strokes press into the canvas more firmly and apply thicker layers of paint. The fingers likewise can be trained to respond at will like brush strokes across the strings :-)

Professor Delcamp's C major scale exercise is meant to begin exercising this area of technique. Listen closely to the video and the crescendo volume he applies at the beginning of the scale compared to when he reaches the highest notes. Conversely, notice the decrescendo volume is louder when he first descends the scale at the higher notes, then it gets softer as he reaches the lower notes in the scale. The volume changes coincide with the crescendo/decrescendo markings/symbols on p. 54 in the exercise.

I got it. Thank you very much! I will try to practice it.

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:43 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "SCALES, C MAJOR" video link. :)

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Wed Oct 14, 2015 5:08 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment" UNE SOURIS VERTE" video link.Video recording is misfocused using window Movie Maker. :)

Youtube

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:06 pm

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "J'AI DU BON TABAC" video link. :)

Youtube

David Florea

Postby David Florea » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:22 pm

Hello, Here is my first video submission for D01-Lesson 2

Youtube

David Florea

Postby David Florea » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Let me try this again.

Moderator note: Video submission was moved to the students 1st intended post of video submissions

David Florea

Postby David Florea » Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:48 pm

my submissions for the following:
Excesize 21,Jai tu Bon tubac,Une Souris Verti

Youtube

Jai tu Bon tubac

Youtube

Une Souris,Verti

Youtube

Moderator note: Post was edited to replace raw URL links with youtube anchors for embedded video
Last edited by David Florea on Wed Oct 21, 2015 5:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:21 pm

David Florea wrote:my submissions for the following:
Excesize 20,Jai tu Bon tubac,Une Souris,Verti

Hi David,

I made some edits to your postings in order to embed the submitted videos versus the raw web url links.

I left 1 of 3 video links as is so that you can self-edit the posting to fix that one
Use the instructions/guidance here for embedding the youtube videos.
You can edit a previous posting by clicking the Edit Post icon that looks like a pencil in the upper-right hand corner of the posting.
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:23 am

Hi, Classmates,
Here is my study assignment "DAMP Exercise 20" video link. :)

Youtube

John Montes

Postby John Montes » Sat Oct 17, 2015 12:26 am

Hi David

Overall pretty good, below is some feedback

Exercise 20 - The submission for exercise 20 appears to be something different than the p59 exercise 20. Re-check the notated exercise as the notes are different and the thumb is used for 50% of the exercise alternating with i, m, and a fingers.

J'ai Du Bon Tabac - The early sections in this piece had pretty good timing, rhythm and note durations. Around measures 17 and m18 it gets a little bumpy and maybe 1 or 2 other measures near the end. It will get smoother with slow repetitions then building speed afterwards

Une Souris Verte - Many sections in the piece were pretty good with timing, rhythm and note durations. M9, m10, and m16 are sections where things can be smoothed out with slow repetitions, then building speed later.
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

David Florea

Postby David Florea » Sat Oct 17, 2015 3:16 am

Thank you for your feedback and advise on imbedding and editing my post. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”