D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
David Florea
Student of the online lessons

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by David Florea » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:55 pm

:merci: I have a question concerning lessons. There are other practice songs and excersizes listed in lesson 2 postings. I've been plying around with all of the listed songs and excersizes. Do you think this is too much or should I try to perfect the three assignments?

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:27 am

Lê Vĩnh Hà wrote: Thank you. And how about my submission, is it good or bad, is there anything wrong? I hope to hear any comment and advise. Thanks for saving time to answer my questions.
Hi Le,

Nice work :bravo:

-C Major scale, the crescendo/decrescendo is detectable, rest stroke, timing, and note durations are good.
-Exercise 20, The finger strokes look good, the only thing to watch for is to strive for a smooth/legato sound like Maestro Delcamp video where the (p) note is damped slightly after or right when the (i), (m) or (a) strings are struck versus before they are struck. A similar tip was shared with Pyit.

-Une Souris Verte, Good Job as well, watch the note duration of the quarter A note at the end of measure #2, let it sing a little bit longer like the other quarter notes played in the other parts of the piece. Keep in mind, the damping symbol hovering over that quarter A note at the end of m2 is not a phrasing indicator to play the note as staccato, but rather to dampen the preceding eighth B note (open string) in case that it is still ringing out when the A note is played.

-J'ai du bon tabac - nice work
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Lê Vĩnh Hà

Post by Lê Vĩnh Hà » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:53 am

Hi John,

Thank you very much. I will try to make it better.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:13 am

David Florea wrote::merci: I have a question concerning lessons. There are other practice songs and excersizes listed in lesson 2 postings. I've been plying around with all of the listed songs and excersizes. Do you think this is too much or should I try to perfect the three assignments?
Hi David great question,

The short opinion I'd give--and there can be variations--is get the most out of each lesson within the constraints of time that can be devoted for practice and ability. We'd probably all hope to learn all the lesson pieces and bring them all to a fine high-gloss polish. With enough practice time and ideal technical/musical progression the chances of reaching that goal is greater. If available practice time and or technical progression are constrained then one has to consider prioritization, achievable goals, and balance.

If constrained in any of the above mentioned areas and if one is planning to participate in exams, then they might spend more time on the technical exercises and polishing the exam qualifying pieces for submission, but still learn the other musical pieces as best they can and possibly post them as well for feedback/comments.

There's still 2 more weeks before the next lesson is published :-)
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Charles Ramcharan

Post by Charles Ramcharan » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:36 am

Hi Lê Vĩnh Hà,

I am also a beginner I enjoyed your playing great Job.
I am not sure but do we have to keep our thumb planted on a string while we alternate the i and m fingers?
I was looking at your Une souris verte video.

Lê Vĩnh Hà

Post by Lê Vĩnh Hà » Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:53 pm

Hi Charles,

I think that it not necessary to keep our thumb plant on string unless there are symboys on music sheet said that like in exercise 17-20. I just keep my thumb relax and ready for playing.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:55 pm

Yes, it is my understanding that we may keep the thumb planted on the string.

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:21 pm

I follow the Maestro's video example and put my thumb on the appropriate string. I'm not sure what the reasoning is, but, I'm confident it is leading to something later...

David Florea

Post by David Florea » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:52 pm

:chaud: Excuse me, I can not find the thread that explains musical notation. If anyone could direct me id appreciate it. Thanks.

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:52 am

Its fine to plant the thumb on the bass strings as the other fingers are playing notes on treble strings for added stability as beginning students are learning right hand fundamentals, rest and free stroke, and building strength and confidence.

In time and with practice you will continue to develop the ability to dampen/mute other strings with the thumb and other fingers as needed and when called for.

In exercise 17-20 there are specific instructions in the paragraph text about which strings are to be kept in a planted state indicated with (x)'s for didactic purposes.

In typical musical scores and notation you will probably not encounter specific planting instructions like those exercises, but you may encounter special instructions such as damping symbols or musical rests that indicate the need to cut-off certain notes and sounds.
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Salvatore Lovinello

Post by Salvatore Lovinello » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:58 pm

J'ai Du Bon Tabac

Youtube

Une Souris Verte

Youtube

C Major scale

Youtube

Youtube

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Thu Oct 29, 2015 2:27 am

Nicely done Salvatore
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:35 am

I'm quite unhappy with the sound quality of my last videos recorded by my phone. Finally I got myself a Zoom H5. Still use my laptop webcam though. My room is quite noisy with the fridge working constantly. I reduced the noise a bit with Audacity. So... I'm presenting to you my videos for this lesson:

C major scale

Youtube

Exercise 20 (omg spelled it wrong on the vid :oops: )

Youtube

Une souris verte

Youtube

J'ai du bon tabac

Youtube

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:11 am

I want to share a tip with you regarding the left hand as well as the right hand fingers. After fretting/plucking a note you don't need to bring the finger out. What I mean is, you don't need to use the force to bring it out. Just release the tension, it will automatically bounce back to a proximity above the string. This is very important to achieve accuracy, speed and relaxation when playing.

Jonathan Lamb

Post by Jonathan Lamb » Fri Oct 30, 2015 4:02 pm

Thanks Cao. I'm making extra efforts to play with increasing relaxation. Your tip is helpful. In Lesson 1 there was also a discussion about the shoulder tension. I find that consciously thinking about relaxing whilst playing helps me to develop more control in the long-term.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”