D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Cao Nguyen

Re: D01 Classical guitar lesson 02

Post by Cao Nguyen » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:40 pm

Hi Tom,

Overall I hear good sounding and see good left hand and right hand techniques. However, the rhythm is a bit unsteady. In the middle of "Une souris verte" you suddenly speed up at around 0:13 and the rest of the song sounds out of beat. Similar with J'ai du bon tabac, the first note of the second phrase is played a bit prematurely before the beat. You can notice that by tapping along while listening to your recordings. I suggest counting out loud while playing or practicing with a metronome.

Tom Hayes

Post by Tom Hayes » Tue Nov 10, 2015 3:38 pm

Thanks Cao, I'll practice a bit more with my metronome next time.

Steven Galvin

Post by Steven Galvin » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:49 pm

Another month of practise - little by little to get the pieces better!!
Thank for any help and tips if you see my videos

Delcamp D01 02 The C major scale

Youtube

Delcamp D01 02 Exercise No. 20

Youtube

Delcamp D01 02 J'ai du bon tabac

Youtube

Delcamp D01 02 Une souris verte

Youtube

Angela Zhao
Student of the online lessons

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:35 am

Hello: everyone.I'm newer here.I'd like to study here.But I can't watch the video.who can tell me how can I watch it.thanks a lot!

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:36 am

Hello: everyone.I'm newer here.I'd like to study here.But I can't watch the video.who can tell me how can I watch it.thanks a lot!

Mark Coprada

Post by Mark Coprada » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:04 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:Hello: everyone.I'm newer here.I'd like to study here.But I can't watch the video.who can tell me how can I watch it.thanks a lot!
Hello Angela. Is YouTube blocked in your Country/ISP by any chance? I'm assuming that possibility if you can't play the video or even see the video thumbnails.

Done with lesson 02! I've somehow managed to place my recorder closer to the guitar, so I suppose this should sound louder than my previous recording in lesson 01.

Will try to finish and record lesson 03 by this week if I have the luxury of time so I can be on track and provide comments to my fellow classmates.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:33 pm

Hi Mark,

It's obvious that you've had some experience with guitar playing before. Everything is fine. Just a little detail, in J'ai Du Bon Tabac you fret the two G-D note sequence with the fingers 3 and 2. Nothing's wrong with that, however it's more customary to play them with the fingers 4 and 3, as in a piece in the next lesson. You can also try playing them both with the finger 3 as written, while keeping the sound legato.

Regarding the volume, what kind of microphone are you using? Placing the mic too close to the guitar may lead to undesirable sound quality. I read that usually the mic is placed somewhere between 40-80cm from the soundboard, depending on your room. My room is acoustically very dead. I find it impossible to capture an acceptable volume without any kind of post processing, e.g. normalizing and noise reducing. I use Audacity for that purpose.

One more thing, I hear a little bright, metallic tint in your playing. You may want to experiment with the nail shapes and plucking angles to get a more round, clear and warm sound. At this level, strike for sound consistency between notes, then you can work on variations.

Mark Coprada

Post by Mark Coprada » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:39 pm

Hello again Cao,

Thanks for the descriptive comments. I've had a fair amount of technical experience before with the guitar by tabs and chords alone and never with sheet music, theory, and finger style. I've also grown accustomed to which [left] finger I commonly use to a certain fret and never noticed that error until I've read your comment!

I'm using only a Zoom H1 at around 20-30cm distance away from the guitar and directed to the sound hole. My room is also not great for recording but the Zoom H1 has managed to isolate most of the ambient noise; reverb was added at post-processing. The audio, however, still sounds low for me even at this distance and cranking up the recorder's input levels would only make hissing sounds audible even in a quiet surrounding.

Noted on the fingernail advice. Currently, my nails are still not long enough to try different variations for producing tone.

:merci:

Cao Nguyen

Post by Cao Nguyen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:11 pm

Mark,

I'm using a Zoom H5 at ~50cm to the soundboard at half the max preamp level. My room is quite noisy. I'm still tinkering with gain level and noise reduction in post recording processing. The more you gain you put, the more noise reduction you need to make without altering much the main sound signals. I use a combination of the built-in noise reduction feature of Audacity and the free plugin ReaFIR. I I've managed to achieve an acceptable result and will try it with my next recording.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:17 am

my submissions for the following:
The C major scale,Exercise No. 20, Jai tu Bon tubac,Une Souris Verti,doucement,doucement,

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Colin Bullock

Post by Colin Bullock » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:59 pm

Angela Zhao wrote:my submissions for the following:
The C major scale,Exercise No. 20, Jai tu Bon tubac,Une Souris Verti,doucement,doucement,
Very good, no serious problems, but in Jai tu Bon tubac you are slightly faster at the end than the beginning. Also in doucement,doucement you miss the repeats.

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:17 pm

Colin Bullock wrote:
Very good, no serious problems, but in Jai tu Bon tubac you are slightly faster at the end than the beginning. Also in doucement,doucement you miss the repeats.

Hello Colin
Thank you give me reply.
You are right,rhythm is my weakness, I still need more exercises, and the repeats in doucement,doucement,I didn't notice the repeat line in the score.
so , How do I past the exam? Do I need to upload video again?
Thanks again! :merci:

John Montes

Post by John Montes » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:05 am

Angela Zhao wrote:
Colin Bullock wrote:

Hello Colin
Thank you give me reply.
You are right,rhythm is my weakness, I still need more exercises, and the repeats in doucement,doucement,I didn't notice the repeat line in the score.
Hi Angela,

You have fulfilled the minimum requirements for D01 Lesson #2 by submitting the four recordings requested by Maestro Delcamp. The recorded submissions do not have to be 100% perfect to be obtain credit. Many students do the best they can as error-free as possible, there can be some minor imperfections here and there, and if students have time to submit better recordings later, they can do so to show progress and improvement.

After submitting recordings for any of the lessons, typically within 1-2 days moderators will update Maestro Delcamp's Post #1 of the Lesson Pages and list Students who have submitted their lesson recordings with hyperlinks to the students post where the recording was submitted.

If there are any major issues or problems that would disqualify a posted submission, then the moderators will indicate that a particular recording must be fixed and re-submitted.

None of the required recordings--for exam qualification--that you have submitted so far fit the definition of a disqualified recording, you have received credit for them :-)
2001 Vicente Carrillo 1a Rio
1998 German Rubio Vazquez Estudio
2015 Cordoba Solista
2012 Cordoba C7
La Bella & D'Addario Strings

Angela Zhao

Post by Angela Zhao » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:57 am

John Montes wrote:
Angela Zhao wrote:
Colin Bullock wrote: Very good, no serious problems, but in Jai tu Bon tubac you are slightly faster at the end than the beginning. Also in doucement,doucement you miss the repeats.

Hello Colin
Thank you give me reply.
Hi Angela,

You have fulfilled the minimum requirements for D01 Lesson #2 by submitting the four recordings requested by Maestro Delcamp. The recorded submissions do not have to be 100% perfect to be obtain credit. Many students do the best they can as error-free as possible, there can be some minor imperfections here and there, and if students have time to submit better recordings later, they can do so to show progress and improvement.

After submitting recordings for any of the lessons, typically within 1-2 days moderators will update Maestro Delcamp's Post #1 of the Lesson Pages and list Students who have submitted their lesson recordings with hyperlinks to the students post where the recording was submitted.

If there are any major issues or problems that would disqualify a posted submission, then the moderators will indicate that a particular recording must be fixed and re-submitted.

None of the required recordings--for exam qualification--that you have submitted so far fit the definition of a disqualified recording, you have received credit for them :-)

Hello Moderator

Thank you answer me.
It's not easy to make a video that satisfyingly myself. Though carefully,it's still some flaws in the video.
What I can do is slow the speed and play it very carefully.
In the end, I still need more practice.
Thank you! :merci:

Jenni Gribble

Post by Jenni Gribble » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:00 am

Here is my "Une Souris Verte" :oops: So clunky. And I think I need better strings. These are the ones I bought on the guitar. Sounds better in person...Maybe. I always have trouble with the high "D". I don't press near the fret just right and it buzzes.

Youtube
2016 Cordoba Parlor C9, Cedar
2017 Cordoba Mini Guitar - M
2017 Martin 000-15sm

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”