D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Edna Lopez
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Postby Edna Lopez » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:26 am

Hi John, sounds nice, you kept a steady pace. I think it is a difficult piece.
Edna Lopez

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:50 am

Zafar,

Great effort in your Malaguena piece. All the notes are there, with more practice you should get the tempo too. Btw, in classical sheet music you may see a number (which finger) and circled number (which string), but I don't think there is a notation for fret number (unless you are reading from a tab sheet). Small correction: roman numbers are used to show a fret number where to do a barre.

Edna,

Your pieces sound good. I would turn my fretting hand a little bit so my pinky and ring finger can maintain some curve when they reach for the notes on the 5th and 6th string.
Last edited by Chu Bun on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:57 am

Hi Fellow Students,

Any tips/exercises of how to straighten my left hand... look at my videos for this lesson and you'll see what I mean... if i continue practicing like this, might need a wrist surgery by the end of the year....i try, but when i straighten it, I tend to mute the strings... :|
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Wed Oct 21, 2015 4:00 am

Chu Bun wrote:Zafar,

Great effort in your Malaguena piece. All the notes are there, with more practice you should get the tempo too. Btw, in classical sheet music you may see a number (which finger) and circled number (which string), but I don't think there is a notation for fret number (unless you are reading from a tab sheet).

Edna,

Your pieces sound good. I would turn my fretting hand a little bit so my pinky and ring finger can maintain some curve when they reach for the notes on the 5th and 6th string.

thanks Chun, btw your hand posture is perfect! ... Will watch your videos often to see if I can achive the same...
Edna Lopez

Zafar Haq

Postby Zafar Haq » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi, Edna,
Check out this youtube link, talking about left hand wrist and give tip to improve it.Once you are watching,you will see of other videos about left hand on right side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ZvpdDr_w0
Left hand finger positions which help not to mute the strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrriGJYnEY
You also search and watch Scott Tennant videos explaining the placement of left hand position and placement. :)
Are you sitting in a cramp area ? Are you using foot stool to raise the left leg.Try to reposition yourself by moving out of this place to another way so you have not to squeeze yourself and feel comfortable.There are many relaxation exercises which improves the tension and allow the hands wrists to desire angle.
I'll post more links.What I'm suggesting also apply to myself.

Jeremy Gillard

Postby Jeremy Gillard » Wed Oct 21, 2015 3:39 pm

Hi Fellow Students,

Any tips/exercises of how to straighten my left hand... look at my videos for this lesson and you'll see what I mean... if i continue practicing like this, might need a wrist surgery by the end of the year....i try, but when i straighten it, I tend to mute the strings... :|

Don't feel too bad. My left hand position is really terrible. I'm going to be correcting this. It will take a while (since I'm so used to do it incorrectly) but it will be more than worth it in the end. As for tips, the only thing I can say right now is to try and keep your middle finger parallel to the frets and relax while playing. Try and move only your fingers of your left hand when fretting and not your whole hand around.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Bert Stendahl

Postby Bert Stendahl » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:24 pm

Hi all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Never Mind the Bollocks

Nathanael Benassi

Postby Nathanael Benassi » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Hello,
Here is my improved recording of this month's piece.

Youtube
-Nathan

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:49 pm

Bert,

In Ex 6, it seems the G# in the last measure was not held for the correct duration. Everything else sounds good to me.

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:20 am

Zafar Haq wrote:Hi, Edna,
Check out this youtube link, talking about left hand wrist and give tip to improve it.Once you are watching,you will see of other videos about left hand on right side.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7ZvpdDr_w0
Left hand finger positions which help not to mute the strings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIrriGJYnEY
You also search and watch Scott Tennant videos explaining the placement of left hand position and placement. :)
Are you sitting in a cramp area ? Are you using foot stool to raise the left leg.Try to reposition yourself by moving out of this place to another way so you have not to squeeze yourself and feel comfortable.There are many relaxation exercises which improves the tension and allow the hands wrists to desire angle.
I'll post more links.What I'm suggesting also apply to myself.

thanks a lot Zafar...will work on that. I do tense my left hand and shoulder and I know I have to do exercises to improve that...i find exercises boring, so I often skip to the songs, habit that will need to change :merci:
Edna Lopez

Edna Lopez

Postby Edna Lopez » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:29 am

Jeremy Gillard wrote:
Hi Fellow Students,

Don't feel too bad. My left hand position is really terrible. I'm going to be correcting this. It will take a while (since I'm so used to do it incorrectly) but it will be more than worth it in the end. As for tips, the only thing I can say right now is to try and keep your middle finger parallel to the frets and relax while playing. Try and move only your fingers of your left hand when fretting and not your whole hand around.

Hi Jeremy....Got it..! ... I will be doing the exercises more often and longer.... Since those dont have melody, it should be easier to watch how the hand is positioned. I appreciate your advice, to the point and easy to remember. :merci:
Edna Lopez

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:27 am

UPDATE: Sorry, Nathanael, did not watch your other takes :) Take 3 is completely free of my concern. Great job!

Nathanael Benassi wrote:Here is my submission for the musical piece this month.

Youtube

That's a nice performance, Nathanael!
My only concern is about your left hand position and the thumb: sometimes you hold the neck in such a way that your thumb is visible from the top of the neck. Ideally it should always be positioned like this (the first image found by querying "classical guitar left thumb"): Image

I'm still catching up since I joined the lessons just a couple of days ago. So, at this moment you cannot criticize my work, sorry :) Need a couple of days...

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Oct 29, 2015 3:37 am

Hi Jeremy,
I enjoyed watching your submissions! Clean and smooth performance. Every note is well articulated.

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:05 am

Chu Bun, wow, 42 takes sounds like a lot of work!! But you really nailed it down. It is flawless.
By the way, did you placing your right hand a bit closer to the sound hole so that the tone is warmer? Just curios whether it would sound even better this way.

Colin Bullock

Postby Colin Bullock » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:54 pm

Edna Lopez wrote:Hi Fellow Students,

I have problems with my left arm but have noticed that small changes can make a big difference.
Things that work for me:
Keeping elbow closer to body, I notice yours is out a bit.
Keeping front of guitar more vertical. Some books say front should lean back, but this should be just slight otherwise wrist has to curve round to get fingers onto fingerboard.
Pulling the neck (of guitar) back so arm doesn't reach so far forward. Very small changes can make a big difference.

Hope you find something that works, notice Zafar has put up some videos, I'll have a look at those.

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”