D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Archive of on-line classical guitar lessons from previous years.
Forum rules
The classical guitar lessons are free. They are aimed at the isolated amateur who does not have access to a teacher. To join the class, apply for registration into the students group.

PDF, MP3, Vidéos, Lessons : Level D01 - Level D02 - Level D03 - Level D04 - Level D05 - Level D06 - Level D07 - Level D08 - Level D09 - Level D10 - Level D11 - Level D12.
Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic
Student of the online lessons

Re: D02 Classical guitar lesson 02

Postby Teodora Despotovic Kosanovic » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:08 pm

Hello everyone :bye:
I completed the task of this month.
See you all next month.. :bye:
Greetings
Teodora

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Cao Nguyen

Postby Cao Nguyen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:12 pm

Edna Lopez wrote:Hi Fellow Students,

Any tips/exercises of how to straighten my left hand... look at my videos for this lesson and you'll see what I mean... if i continue practicing like this, might need a wrist surgery by the end of the year....i try, but when i straighten it, I tend to mute the strings... :|

Hi Edna, you played Malaguena nicely. To straighten your wrist try putting your left hand thumb higher on the neck.

Colin Bullock

Postby Colin Bullock » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:21 pm

Chu Bun wrote:... I don't think there is a notation for fret number

Ive never seen one, generally if a specific fret is suggested it is done by putting the string number in a circle. Otherwise it is implied by finger number in a certain position.

There are some amazingly good postings here. I'm busy on a project at moment but hope to catch up in a few weeks.

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:45 am

Chu Bun wrote:About learning long pieces, I often do a quick play from begin to end and note parts I seems to have the most troubles with. Then practice these parts in reverse order. The reasons being, first we are more likely to make mistake later in a piece, when our hands and focus are waning down. Second, we tend to quit recording after too many mistakes, so the first parts will end up having some extra practice time.

That's a really wise piece of advice. Especially when the piece becomes more complex towards the end.
Last edited by Andrei Puhach on Sun Nov 01, 2015 6:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:33 am

Finally, my assignment is ready. That was hard work but I still did not manage to produce clean Malaguena without mistakes, sorry... May be I was trying to play it too fast.
exercise number 6

Youtube

exercise number 40

Youtube

MALAGUEÑA

Youtube

Jeremy Gillard

Postby Jeremy Gillard » Sun Nov 01, 2015 11:01 am

May be I was trying to play it too fast.

Hi Andrei: I thought your Malaguena was great. As yous said yourself, I do think you were trying to play it a bit too fast. Your tempo slows down once you got to the section with more notes to play! :) I think if you played it a bit slower you would have been able to play it flawlessly and at a consistent tempo. Good Job though! Sounds great. Keep it up.
It's the player, not the guitar...
But, the guitar helps!!!

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Sun Nov 01, 2015 8:18 pm

Jeremy Gillard wrote:Hi Andrei: I thought your Malaguena was great. As yous said yourself, I do think you were trying to play it a bit too fast. Your tempo slows down once you got to the section with more notes to play! :) I think if you played it a bit slower you would have been able to play it flawlessly and at a consistent tempo. Good Job though! Sounds great. Keep it up.

Thank you, Jeremy, for your feedback! I tried to keep the tempo 168 as specified in the sheet music. But obviously, I needed to practice a bit more before the submission... Tried to catch up before November :)

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:38 am

Andrei Puhach wrote:Chu Bun, ... did you placing your right hand a bit closer to the sound hole so that the tone is warmer? Just curios whether it would sound even better this way.

My original plan was to play the up lines (measure 1, 3, 5, ...) near the bridge, and the down lines (measure 2, 4, 6, ...) near the sound hole, to show some contrast/tension. But around take number 30something, it was mostly about not hitting the wrong notes. Once in a while some part of my brain said "move the right hand", but then the "concentrate on the notes" took over, and the hand remained wherever it was at the moment.

It is very impressive that you could play the Malaguena at the posted piece. By the way, did you have some body holding the camera to record that clip?

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:28 am

Chu Bun wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:Chu Bun, ... did you placing your right hand a bit closer to the sound hole so that the tone is warmer? Just curios whether it would sound even better this way.

My original plan was to play the up lines (measure 1, 3, 5, ...) near the bridge, and the down lines (measure 2, 4, 6, ...) near the sound hole, to show some contrast/tension. But around take number 30something, it was mostly about not hitting the wrong notes. Once in a while some part of my brain said "move the right hand", but then the "concentrate on the notes" took over, and the hand remained wherever it was at the moment.

Oh, I see now, that's a nice choice. I agree, not hitting the wrong notes was what occupied 99% of my brain capacity as well :)
It is more difficult to play when you are recorded. Even multiple takes do not help...

It's an off topic but I have some problems with tone production. It might not be clear from the recording, but the sound is a bit nasal when plucked by fingers i, m, a even when the hand is near the sound hole. But the sound is much deeper and warmer when produced by the thumb (with flesh, no nail there). I need to experiment more with the nail length and shape.

It is very impressive that you could play the Malaguena at the posted piece. By the way, did you have some body holding the camera to record that clip?

Thanks! Yes, my wife held the smartphone. It was about 20 takes I think, so it was a tough job :) Btw, I ordered an adjustable holder for my smartphone, but it did not arrive yet. I'll also want to try a real camera, not smartphone.

Chu Bun

Postby Chu Bun » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:15 pm

Andrei Puhach wrote:... the sound is a bit nasal when plucked by fingers i, m, a even when the hand is near the sound hole. But the sound is much deeper and warmer when produced by the thumb (with flesh, no nail there)...

Could it be the strings? I have had sets that the base/wound strings sound good, but the smooth strings sound flat and vice versa. My guitar seems to sound better with high tension strings.

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:43 pm

Chu Bun wrote:
Andrei Puhach wrote:... the sound is a bit nasal when plucked by fingers i, m, a even when the hand is near the sound hole. But the sound is much deeper and warmer when produced by the thumb (with flesh, no nail there)...

Could it be the strings? I have had sets that the base/wound strings sound good, but the smooth strings sound flat and vice versa. My guitar seems to sound better with high tension strings.

I tried different strings already, looks like the problem is my technique. I like Savarez Corum 500AJ High Tension the most. But the difference in sound is also very clear when you do tirando vs apoyando.

Warley Lima

Postby Warley Lima » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:20 am

Good evening everyone, finally managed to finish the lesson two. Later I will study more Malaguena music. Thank you all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,

Warley Lima

Rajesh Dhungel

Postby Rajesh Dhungel » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:11 am

Hi everyone just been able to record two of three pieces. :merci:

D02 02 Exercise number 6 page 73

Youtube

D02 02 exercise number 40 page 84

Youtube

:bye:

Andrei Puhach

Postby Andrei Puhach » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Hi Warley, I liked your clean playing! The only thing is not even Malaguena tempo: compare the very beginning and the fragment starting at 1:17 (past the hardest part), it is going slower.

Hi Rajesh, your exercises are great! Looking forward to your third piece recording!

Jose Ramon Martinez

Postby Jose Ramon Martinez » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:41 am

Hello everyone!
Here are my submissions for lesson 02. Sorry for being late, had some issues recording video using my webcam.

Your comments are always appreciated.

Regards.

Youtube

Youtube

Youtube

Return to “Classical guitar lessons archive”