[PDF] Anon. - Be Thou My Vision (Irish traditional), arr. Pat Hargan

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Pat Hargan

[PDF] Anon. - Be Thou My Vision (Irish traditional), arr. Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Wed May 18, 2016 11:41 am

This is my arrangement of the traditional Irish air called Slane, but known more generally by the title of the hymn that is sung to it, 'Bí Thusa Mo Shúile' or 'Be Thou My Vision' in English.

This is the first arrangement that I have written out, and I used Musescore to create the score. It is a piece that I sometimes play at weddings, often accompanying a singer. (Fortunately, C major suits the singer in question!)

I would appreciate any feedback about either the arrangement or the score, particularly as to whether I have included too much or not enough information in the way of fingering etc. Thanks very much, and I hope you like it.
Be_thou_my_vision (Trad. arr. Pat Hargan).pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Raimundo 660E - D'Addario Pro Arté EJ45 Normal Tension

David Norton

Re: [PDF] Hargan, Pat (arr.) - Be Thou My Vision (Irish traditional)

Post by David Norton » Wed May 18, 2016 1:31 pm

A couple of questions:

M9: Why use 4th finger for the G (2nd note) versus the 8th fret G already under the barre? Maybe "4" is meant for the following B?
M10: Last beat is open 1st string?
M14: I'd be inclined to leave off that alto E and play this in III position, rather than shift to V.

Just my thoughts.
David Norton
Salt Lake City, UT

Pat Hargan

Re: [PDF] Hargan, Pat (arr.) - Be Thou My Vision (Irish traditional)

Post by Pat Hargan » Wed May 18, 2016 1:52 pm

David_Norton wrote:A couple of questions:

M9: Why use 4th finger for the G (2nd note) versus the 8th fret G already under the barre? Maybe "4" is meant for the following B?
M10: Last beat is open 1st string?
M14: I'd be inclined to leave off that alto E and play this in III position, rather than shift to V.

Just my thoughts.
Hi David. Thank you for your questions and comments.

Bar 9: I find using the fourth finger easier, for one thing, but I also like being able to keep the second-string A sounding to give that overlapping 'harp' kind of effect. (On which subject, I sometimes play a D against the E on the first beat of bar 4, but it looked a bit odd in the score and I wasn't sure how tasteful or appropriate it was, so I left it out, though I will probably play it as a variation.)

Bar 10: Yes, the E and G quavers on the last beat are open strings. Perhaps I should mark them as such.

Bar 14: That's a good point. That E won't be missed, especially as it is in the melody on the second beat. But I do quite like being able to leave the A ringing over the first two beats. Maybe I'll keep that as a variation, but make the shift smoother by playing the B and high G on the last beat of the previous bar on the sixth and second strings respectively.

AO

Re: [PDF] Anon. - Be Thou My Vision (Irish traditional), arr. Pat Hargan

Post by AO » Sat May 28, 2016 4:21 pm

Thanks for turning me on to this tune, I've never heard it before. I went to you tube to hear various versions and found one by Alyson Krause, One of my favorite singers. She sings it in D, and while playing along with her recording it felt like some pretty good possibilities in that key, don't get me wrong, I thing your arrangement is very good but D might be something to consider, more open bass notes always helps. Thanks for posting this.

Cheers,AO.

Pat Hargan

Post by Pat Hargan » Mon Jun 13, 2016 2:18 pm

Thanks, AO, I'm glad you liked the arrangement. I set it in C because, apart from the fact that that key suits the singer with whom I often perform the hymn, as I mentioned above, I wanted a setting that would work in standard tuning, since we often perform the piece at weddings, where retuning during the service is best avoided. If I arranged a setting in D, I would probably want to drop the bottom string.

kvormwald

Post by kvormwald » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:50 pm

Thanks for posting this Pat, it is one of my favorite pieces. I first heard it at the end of the movie "The Confession" and became mesmerized by it.

Ken
"Things should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." ~ Albert Einstein

BRGTR

Post by BRGTR » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:06 pm

Thanks for your work! I'll likely bar at 5 rather than 8 but this is a big help.

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Beauty! I love this one.. :)
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”