[PDF] Dall'Aquila, Marco - Ricercar 33 for guitar

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
tateharmann

[PDF] Dall'Aquila, Marco - Ricercar 33 for guitar

Post by tateharmann » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:56 am

I love this little piece, I'm sure it's been transcribed before but I didn't see it on our forum here. I did it rather fast so if you spot mistakes let me know and I'll fix it up.

Cheers,
Tate
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Speed is the enemy of emotion." - Emilio Pujol Vilarrubi

pogmoor

Re: [PDF] Dall'Aquila, Marco - Ricercar 33 for guitar

Post by pogmoor » Sat Dec 10, 2016 12:47 pm

You're right, this is a beautiful piece. I've done an arrangement myself, though I haven't posted it. I got the piece from the website of the Lute scholar Arthur Ness (which has unfortunately disappeared because it was on Verizon, who closed down their site builder service in 2014) and I arranged it from his grand staff transcription. I can't remember if I also saw the tablature but there was also a guitar arrangement by Alain Reiher on the site.

There are several points in these sources and my arrangement that differ from your version, but you may be right of course! Did you find a tablature source and, if so, can you point me to it?

By the way, the arrangements I have seen double the note values - as is commonly done with arrangements of lute pieces as what looks like an eighth note in tablature is generally thought to be more like a quarter not in modern notation - and this piece is regarded as quite slow and tranquil.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:41 am

Thanks for checking it out, pogmoor! I indeed found a tab source, here: http://gerbode.net/composers/Aquila/pdf/

I was also initially confused as the recording by Chris Wilson was so slow and beautiful. The tab shows 4/4 timing but the values of each measure only added up to 2 beats, so I changed it to 2/4.

So, it would make more sense to change the 16ths to 8ths and the 32nds to to 16ths while conserving the 4/4 timing?

I can certainly do that! Where else did it differ? There are a couple spots in the Wilson recording that seem to deviate what I have in the tab also.

Thanks for your help!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:44 am

Ah, I hadn't spotted it on Sarge Gerbode's website. Interestingly this version and Arthur Ness's version do differ in two or three places, so perhaps they came from different tablature sources. I don't know enough about Dall' Aquila to be sure.

However I think you have made one transcription error. in bar 15 the top note of the first chord should be C sharp and this should be followed by B and another C sharp. The classic problem in transcribing tablature - misjudging which course a tablature letter is on!

Sarge Gerbode's site has the great advantage that the music is available in MIDI format as well as PDF. So, if I pinch one of his transcriptions to make an arrangement I usually import the MIDI into Logic and export it as MusicXML from the Score Editor. The it can be opened in most scoring applications (I mostly use Sibelius). If you do this it yields a score in 2/2 with the note lengths doubled as I suggested.

The other thing you can do in making a guitar score is to make sone judgements about the movement of the different parts. Lute tablature, though it gives the overall rhythm, doesn't encode the duration of all the notes, leaving the lutenist to judge how long notes in individual parts should sound. You could consider editing your score to show this. For example in bar 1, it looks as if there are three parts, the bass D sounding thought the bar, a middle part, A sounding on the second beat and held until half way through the final beat (treating the piece as being in 4 time) when it is repeated and, in the top part the D sounding for a beat and a half to be followed by the C sharp. Like this:
Aq.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:29 pm

AH! Thanks for catching that boo-boo :/ I've got it fixed up in this version of the score.

As far as the timing and note values, I played around with changing to 4/4 timing and doubling all of the note values but my software (MuseScore) doesn't make that easy...unless I'm missing something there.

Anyway, I like that idea, but I guess that will be for a future update of the transcription haha.

Regarding the voices, yes, that was definitely a challenge. As you can see I broke it into 2 voices, essentially the bass and the treble voices. On your transcription you broke it into 3? Yikes, so you just use intuition to know which notes go into which voice?

Thanks!

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Dec 11, 2016 6:48 pm

tateharmann wrote:As far as the timing and note values, I played around with changing to 4/4 timing and doubling all of the note values but my software (MuseScore) doesn't make that easy...unless I'm missing something there.
Have a look here: https://musescore.org/plugins, and try Doubletime_v2_0.
tateharmann wrote:Regarding the voices, yes, that was definitely a challenge. As you can see I broke it into 2 voices, essentially the bass and the treble voices. On your transcription you broke it into 3? Yikes, so you just use intuition to know which notes go into which voice?
It's not so much intuition as judging what makes musical sense. Lute music at this time was basically polyphonic in nature but because of the limitations of the instrument some voices were partly implied - you can arrange the music so that it looks as if voices appear and disappear as the piece progresses.

PS I've added the corrected file at the beginning of the thread, so no-one downloads the original.
Eric from GuitarLoot

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:16 pm

Awesome, I will check that plugin out!

You are a transcribing master! Lol, any chance you also play ukulele? I've recently transcribed a couple of F. Corbetta pieces for uke...maybe you could check them out?

Or I could just post here and others could proof-read them?

Anyways, I do these transcriptions because I can't afford a lute or baroque guitar yet but I do have a uke and a couple of guitars so I have to work with what I have ;) I'm not very well versed in music theory either so thanks for your help!

I'll try to rework the score and post an update later, I suppose I should put some fingering in it as well..

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:27 pm

P.S. I should have realized before per your signature but I just made the connection between you and GuitarLoot.org.uk hehe now I feel a bit sheepish..

I've spent a lot of time browsing your arrangements before! Fantastic work :) thank you for that!

Any chance you have J. Johnson's Passingmeasures Pavan for guitar?
Last edited by tateharmann on Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:19 am

tateharmann wrote:Any chance you have J. Johnson's Passingmeasures Pavan for guitar?
He did 2 - which one would you like :lol:
Eric from GuitarLoot

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:23 am

Oh yea...I did read that somewhere. Well, whichever one shows up on Chris Wilson's Naxos Album of Johnson's music :)

If it's not a bother, that is, and only if you have it ;)

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:25 am

Brilliant plugin, that! The doubletime that is. Ok, so here is the score fixed up with 4/4 time. I also removed the tuning of the 3rd string to F# as I finally got around to playing it today and it's not too tricky in standard tuning with a little creative fingering.

cadiz

Post by cadiz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:03 am

My version, with fingerings and the attached source on the second page:
(Update):
DallAquila__Ricercar_33.pdf

And the link to the MuseScore website: https://musescore.com/user/44845/scores/4822875

Enjoy! (really beautiful music :casque: )

tateharmann

Post by tateharmann » Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:27 pm

Thanks, Cadiz! I'm playing through yours right now :)

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”