[PDF] Sainte-Colombe, Jean de - Les Pleurs

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
pogmoor

[PDF] Sainte-Colombe, Jean de - Les Pleurs

Post by pogmoor » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:26 pm

M. de Sainte-Colombe (ca.1640–1700) played and composed for the viola da gamba. Not a lot is known about his life except that the more famous gambist Marin Marais was his pupil. There's a request here, viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110039#p1170558, for guitar arrangements of his music. So far nobody has come up with anything, so I had a go at cobbling this arrangement together from secondary sources, namely modern editions for viola da gamba duet (for which I think it was written) and solo viola da gamba. The title means 'tears'; I think it featured in the film 'Tous les Matins du Monde' played by Jordi Saval.

I put in some of the decorations from the scores I used; it is quite reasonable in music of this period to add others ad lib.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014)

wazow

Re: [PDF] Sainte-Colombe, Jean de - Les Pleurs

Post by wazow » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:17 am

pogmor, this is fantastic! I am going to start working on this as soon as I get home from my trip today :). It is no big secret that my interest in playing some St. Colombe and Marais is directly inspired by the "Tous les matins du Monde". So this is an excellent choice of the piece :) Thanks a lot! As usual I am amazed with these forums.

gilles T

Post by gilles T » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:33 am

Great work, Pogmoor. As for many gamba music, it seems not very difficult but extremly challenging to play with feeling and the right amount of "rubato"...

A recording and/or video would be very welcomed.
Regards
Gilles

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:54 am

wazow wrote:pogmor, this is fantastic!
You're welcome :)
gilles T wrote:Great work, Pogmoor. As for many gamba music, it seems not very difficult but extremly challenging to play with feeling and the right amount of "rubato"..Gilles
I agree. It's well worth listening to gamba recordings to get the idea.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Lester Backshall (2008) and Paul Fischer (1995)

elindley

Post by elindley » Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:47 pm

I will add my thank you Pogmoor. And I agree it is challenging to play! For example, letting the G & E ring in measure 4 while playing the rising bass line. -- Ed
English | Fresno, California | Kenny Hill Signature Double Top | La Bella 2001 Concert Series Extra Hard Tension
"Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them." -- Richard Strauss

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:14 am

I've updated the file with a slight revision to bar 14 - making it a bit easier to play.
Eric from GuitarLoot

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:35 am

:merci: so much for the pdf! :)

wazow

Post by wazow » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm

The last chord in bar 14 is a major chord. It does sound a bit surprisng to me at this place (but I cannot check any sources for this). Is this correct?

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:53 pm

wazow wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:23 pm
The last chord in bar 14 is a major chord. It does sound a bit surprisng to me at this place (but I cannot check any sources for this). Is this correct?
Thanks for raising this; I assume you mean the chord A, G, C#? It's difficult to be certain because, as I mentioned earlier, I've put this arrangement together from two secondary sources (which you can find a IMSLP.org). However stylistically it sounds right to me - by which I mean the sort of chord progression you find in music of this era.
Eric from GuitarLoot

wazow

Post by wazow » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:13 am

I am in no way an expert on harmony and the music of the period. I just listened to some gamba recordings (but I am also much less used to hearing harmonies in the register of viola). Measure 14 and measure 21 seemed hard for me to interpret harmonically, so I can play them such that they make sense. However, with more exercising and more listening to the violas, they do start to make sense slowly. Perhaps a premature worry then :)

I really appreciate that you have put this together. This is an amazing piece, and I never thought I would have the honor to play it (at whatever quality :) ).

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”