[PDF] Jones, Peter - Waltz No. 2

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
PeteJ

[PDF] Jones, Peter - Waltz No. 2

Post by PeteJ » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:35 pm

Here's a second waltz designed to be fun. I reckon it's about Grade 5. I'm wondering if it's performable so comments on this would be welcome. I'm just doodling, but if someone starts liking the music I may take the writing a bit more seriously.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PeteJ

Re: [PDF] PeterJ - Waltz No. 2

Post by PeteJ » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 am

Pardon me for the 'bump' but I was hoping for a comment on this one. It sure ain't Mozart and indeed it's trivial, but I wondered if it might be enjoyable to play.

bert

Post by bert » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:02 am

Hi Peter,

Sorry, I only saw it yesterday. I know it can be a bit disappointing when people don't react.

Just played through it. It is a nice study. I had a bit of trouble connecting the first part (to bar 48) with the second part. I felt it would be nice to play the second part a bit more slowly.

Regards, Bert

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:48 am

Thanks Bert. The second part relaxes a bit but it shouldn't be slower. If it's difficult to make the connection or it seems a bit fast this is my fault - but it seems okay to me.

Partly I was wondering whether there's any call for this sort of thing. I can write superficial stuff like this but maybe there's enough pot-boilers around already.

bert

Post by bert » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:52 pm

PeteJ wrote: Partly I was wondering whether there's any call for this sort of thing. I can write superficial stuff like this but maybe there's enough pot-boilers around already.
I asked the same thing here some time ago, as I'm one of the other pot-boilers, if I understand the term correctly. The amount of pot-boilers may be the right answer. Probably the best solution is to just post and not care too much.

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:17 pm

I think 'pot-boiler' refers to the quality of the work where something is just run-of-the-mill. I'm all too good at run-of-the-mill.

Fabbri

Post by Fabbri » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:42 pm

Hey, don't knock run-of-the-mill. It's the basic food of struggling intermediates. It keeps us hooked on the guitar: I'd have given up long ago without your sort of tuneful, lively and playable pieces. And anyway, how often do Carulli, Carcassi, Sor and the other greats reach the dizzy heights of musical quality?

So my answer to your 'wondering' is an emphatic YES. Keep boiling those pots (a metaphor I've never understood).

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

Its a delightful bit of fun Pete. I was brought up short by the fingering in bar 102 but overall thought it was fun, harmless and well worth putting out there.
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:11 pm

Thanks for the encouragement. Much appreciated. More pot-boilers it is then...

Bar 102 is a bit odd but it allows the B in the bass to be held. Feel free to do it your own way.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”