[PDF] Scarlatti, Domenico - K404 Sonata in A - arr for Guitar by John Kemp

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
John Kemp

[PDF] Scarlatti, Domenico - K404 Sonata in A - arr for Guitar by John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Jun 04, 2017 2:55 pm

Originally posted by John Kemp » Tuesday 02 September 2014, 11:39 am, under my old identity, now lapsed, archived, and difficult to search or find. That submission was downloaded 36 times. Re-submitted in 2017 with permission WITH TWO SMALL CORRECTIONS.

“This is a new transcription of a work rarely performed on the guitar. I was inspired to make it by Fabio Zanon's magnificent transcription and recording. But his edition is far too difficult for me and many other players, but I have found that by reverting to the original key an easier, for me, version is possible. I have found it possible to be surprisingly faithful to the original. I have used cross string fingering for most of the trills, e.g. slurring a from 2nd to 3rd string followed by m 2nd to 3rd string followed by i 2nd to 3rd string. I haven't seen this technique written down, but I can't play it any other way - there's an amateur for you! But someone has recently told me of a well known professional who sometimes does something similar.
Herewith I submit a beautifully engraved file. I am extremely grateful to Bernhard Heimann for offering to do this engraving for me”.

Posted by pogmoor » Tuesday 02 September 2014, 17:34 pm
I had a look at this piece myself a while back, using the copy available at imslp.org so I was able to look through your version and see how you had done it. It's one of those pieces that can be arranged with very little modification, apart from changing the octave of one or other voices in some sections and I was interested to see that though you had made one or two different decisions our arrangements are much the same.

Incidentally the cross string trill method you mention was demonstrated at the West Dean course this year. I can't remember who mentioned it, it may have been Gary Ryan or Stephen Gordon and is was said that Ida Presti had used this technique.

Posted by John Kemp » Tuesday 02 September 2014, 18:41 pm
A VERY VERY BIG THANKYOU TO POGMOOR FOR NOTIFYING ME OF SOME SMALL ERRORS WHICH I CORRECTED – THEY ARE HISTORY NOW SO I'VE NOT CLUTTERED THE FORUM WITH THE DETAILS. I THANK HIM TOO FOR HIS KIND COMMENT ”This looks very nicely done” ON MY TRANSCRIPTION.

Post by Hildegard of Bingen » Saturday 15 November 2014, 15:22 pm
Very nice transcription. A little difficult for me to play, but a worthwhile addition to my "must practice" pieces!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steve Ganz
Luthier

Re: Domenico Scarlatti Sonata in A K404 - arr for Guitar by John Kemp

Post by Steve Ganz » Sun Jun 04, 2017 5:54 pm

I just sight read the score, and it is quite playable. Congrats.

One interesting technique, cross-string trills by "dragging" a,m,i across the strings. I've not run across that before. (I'm no expert.) Is this technique common?
Steve

John Kemp

Post by John Kemp » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:08 pm

Moderator pogmoor said above: "Incidentally the cross string trill method you mention was demonstrated at the West Dean course this year. I can't remember who mentioned it, it may have been Gary Ryan or Stephen Gordon and is was said that Ida Presti had used this technique". I myself cannot sustain the volume on conventional trills with extended LH pizzicato, so I invented this technique independently myself, not knowing it had been used by others. I don't know if that make me look bad or good, but to my mind the deciding test of technique is does it work - for you, as the player - better than the alternatives? If it does, the end result will be more musical and more satisfying. Now, Scarlatti wrote for harpsichord, and to my mind any trill technique that utilizes individual striking of the notes provides a more authentic sound in this and other harpsichord pieces. Thankyou, Steve, for your kind words!
Last edited by John Kemp on Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

andrebraci

Post by andrebraci » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:00 pm

I love the Scarlatti work, although they are very technical pieces, i have great pleasure trying to learn them, thank you for sharing this piece John, have a nice week.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”