[PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1068 Air

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
hphooper

[PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1068 Air

Postby hphooper » Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:02 pm

This famous air for strings was generated with Finale Guitar 2003 and is straight out of my 3-ring repetoire binder. I always use pencil to write in fingerings and I want to illustrate what my final practice document looks like. If everyone would like a clean PDF version of this piece, I will upload it gladly. I always learn from how others solve the fingering puzzle both for technical and musical reasons. For example, I reach around the neck with my left hand thumb in measure 17 to get the G bass note so the previous chord can sustain a little longer. I once saw Steve Morse do it repeatly in one of his compositions and is the only time I've ever done it myself.

--HH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

owl

Postby owl » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:58 pm

'Morning HH... thanks for your thoughts... I agree that fingering is a personal 'do what works for you' issue... so it is really good to have as many examples as you can find... especially for beginning guitarists.

A new PDF would be a good idea and I'm sure appreciated by members... thanks :lol:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

hphooper

Postby hphooper » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:34 am

Here's a clean PDF of my transcription of the Orchestral Air.

Thank you Owl, for your thoughts and advise. You're a Hoot!

--HH
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:18 pm

Thanks for this arrangement. I've been reading through it this morning, just to get a feel for it. I really like what you've done, and I like your fingerings a lot too. That saves tons of time, and with a piece like this it's nice to have the fingerings from the getgo or else one might be discouraged from following through to learn it.

I have learned a version in C, but it's not as complete as yours (lacking some inner voice movements, etc). Also, I have seen Richard Yates' version free on his site, also in D ... but his seemed a little difficult. Again, your fingerings made a ton of difference.

Regarding that thumb fretting the low G in measure 17 ... had you thought of fingering the preceeding higher G bass with 2 instead of 1, leaving 1 available to play the lower G? I think that's better for me. There is no way I could play that G with my thumb.

I also private messaged you asking whether you could make this two pages instead of one. Things will be bigger and easier on my eyes.

Soltirefa

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:12 pm

This is my second post replying to your Air pdf.

I spent all day yesterday discecting this piece. As I mentioned in my previous post, I had seen Richard Yates' version of this piece, but had never tried it because it looked like too much work. I think what turned me off was that right from the getgo his had a fingering that was too hard, so I just assumed the entire piece would be full of difficult fingerings.

When I saw yours fingered and tried a little, I was inspired. Because the size of the notes were so small on your score, I ended up writing in your fingerings on Yates' score and crossing out his.

Over the course of the day, I tried your fingerings first and then saw where I had crossed out Yates' ... so I tried his just to compare. By the end of the day, I ended up preferring about 95% of Yates' fingerings. It ended up that the hard reach at the beginning was really the only hard fingering that Yates had in his score.

Your score and Yates are very similar in terms of the notes. He drops a note out of a chord sometimes (making it easier and more practical in some cases). Other than some minor things like that, they are virtually the same.

I recommend you go through Yates' score and try his fingerings. I think you'll pick up some good alternatives, so that are easier and some that allow a melody or other note to sustain longer. Just go to Richard Yates' site and look for free sheet music download.

Soltirefa

hphooper

Postby hphooper » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:05 pm

Soltirefa-- I just finished enlarging my manuscript for you and was getting ready to upload it when I read your second post. I did find the Yates version and it inspired me to find the original, compare and adjust it more to my liking. It's tough to squeeze a string orchestra on to the guitar but I enjoyed the challenge. I'm also pretty stubborn when it comes to trying to make a transcription and my fingerings work but as I mentioned in the original post, I do use pencil for fingerings and abandon them when they're untenable. At this time in my career, I know when a piece 'feels' good in my hands and allows me to play it as musically as I can. Sounds like you use the same processes. I'll upload the bigger score and by the way, I transcribed the two Gavottes, Bourée, and Gigue that follow the Air(the Prelude was way to difficult) if anybody is interested.

--HH
Last edited by hphooper on Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

owl

Postby owl » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:31 pm

hphooper wrote:I transcribed the two Gavottes, Bourée, and Gigue that follow the Air(the Prelude was way to difficult) if anybody is interested.

LOL HH... don't ask... what does that Nike ad say?... 'Just do it'! :roll:

Owl
Never, ever give up!... I leave my songprint on your heart.

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:39 pm

Thanks so much for enlarging your score! My eyes are thanking you, too.

Soltirefa

PS. This is such a minor point, but I notice you have the trill in a different spot than Yates at the very end of the piece. My ear hears it his way, but I can tell you are very careful to detail ... so I'm wondering. Maybe it's just a matter of arranging an orchestral score and choosing a way that fits the guitar.

hphooper

Postby hphooper » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:30 am

Soltirefa--I haven't looked at the original score or the Yates transcription since I did mine a couple years ago, so I checked out what Bach did and I was right. He indicated a trill on the third beat G(not the D above) of the second violins and a trill on the following off-beat C# in the first violins which I did use. While I'm at it I'd like to clear up a point concerning the G bass note in measure 17; I bring my thumb around to the fret side(in front) to get that G, allowing me to sustain the high B a little longer.

--HH
Last edited by hphooper on Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Thu Feb 22, 2007 3:59 am

Hello again H.

I actually went to Mutopia project and printed out the orchestral score so I could compare, and I see you are correct about that trill at the end. I think Yates and others put the trill earlier to accomodate the guitar.

However, check out your measure 18, beat three where the melody has two 32 notes to one 16th note. In the original it's the opposite (one 16th and then two 32nd notes). Also, the B in the bass should end up below the F in the melody, not the G. Not a big deal.

Hey, have you by chance heard Cesar Amaro play this on YouTube? Put Amaro and Air in the search there and you'll find it. It's a live performance and the audio is sort of marginal, but I think he really plays it with feeling. It's also in D major, so you can compare his version to yours.

I REALLY appreciate what you have done here. It truly inspired me to learn this piece and I've been absorbed in it the last two days. Thanks,

Soltirefa

hphooper

Postby hphooper » Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:30 pm

Soltirefa--This is becoming quite an exercise, which I admit I enjoy. Although I often overlook things(had to correct a misspelled word in a previous post for example), I can't find the errors you've pointed out in my transcription. Here are the last two measures of the original I worked from which is from the Bach-Werke-Verzeichnis available at my local university library.

--HH

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:21 pm

I downloaded your image of the last two measures, and yes ... I see you did it correctly. My source has that part different, and I must admit ... the guitar versions I have heard all do it as my source has it (one 16th followed by two 32nd notes). I would tend to think your reference is more reliable. Here is where I got my orchestral score.

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/ma ... r=bwv+1068

I can see how your pay close attention to every detail. Lucky me to have stumbled upon your score here. I have always wanted to learn a good version of this work, and now I can.

Soltirefa

soltirefa

Postby soltirefa » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:41 am

I just noticed that the source for the Orchestral score on Mutopia is "Bach-Gesellschaft."

I am no Bach scholar by any stretch of the imagination, but I seem to remember reading that is a major source for Bach's works.

???

soltirefa

hphooper

Postby hphooper » Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 pm

???

LaPat27

Postby LaPat27 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:49 pm

Thank you, HH for sharing this. I enjoyed (very slowly) reading through it last p.m.

All the best,

James

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”