[PDF] Merikanto, Oskar - Valse Lente

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
mordent

[PDF] Merikanto, Oskar - Valse Lente

Postby mordent » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:57 am

Here is my transcription of a lovely waltz by the Finnish composer Oskar Merikanto. It is quite a popular piece on piano and I used to play it some years ago.I have to say it was much easier on piano than guitar! This piece has some extended barwork and some exotic harmonies notably in the bridge section with many passing and partly sustained discords.At the risk of sounding patronising I must add that the guitar must be tuned "spot on" otherwise this section will sound awful.[]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Sun May 03, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Re: [PDF] Merikanto,O.,Valse Lente.

Postby Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:27 am

This is a gorgeous piece, Mike!!! Thank you for arranging it!

It's quite difficult, but sounds great on the guitar. (Almost everything sounds great on the guitar). :wink:

I've never heard of this composer, but I'd love to hear more of his music. Off to YouTube... :lol:

I'll have to work on this one...

Alan

Vesuvio

Re: [PDF] Merikanto, O.,Valse Lente

Postby Vesuvio » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:26 am

Hello Mike,

Thank you very much for your transcription. Another of our members, Deco, recorded a version of this a while ago. I think it will have to go into the "one day I may be feeling brave enough" file for me as it does look quite tough,

Best wishes, V :) :merci:
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

avoz

Postby avoz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:35 pm

:merci: for this arrangement of a romantic piece with wide audience appeal, of a kind which a dear departed friend (and fine fingertip player) called a "knicker wetter", i.e. something that could bring tears to the eyes if played well :)

DanielMcPherson

Postby DanielMcPherson » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks very much for this! I haven't had a chance to play it yet, but I listened to some piano recordings of it on youtube and I'm looking forward to working on it.

mordent

Postby mordent » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:30 am

Thank you Vesuvio,Alan ,Avoz and Daniel for your interest and kind remarks. Although the main melody section has no real difficulties the bridge is not easy and in addition is quite taxing to practice for any length of time due to the extended period of full bar work and the cramped up positions of the left hand fingers.However like most things it does respond to diligence and time. I have attempted to be faithful to the original score as much as is possible when transcribing this piece for guitar (many chords which are easy on piano are difficult or impossible on guitar) The notes on the first beats of bars 25 and 27 may cause a few raised eyebrows but they are as in the original piano score-or at least on my copy. Often this piece is,in my opinion, played much too fast on piano .
I have just been on You Tube and heard a very fine guitarist called Peo Kindgren playing his arrangement of this and it is quite lovely and played at what I think is the right tempo.
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

mordent

Re: [PDF] Merikanto, O. - Valse Lente

Postby mordent » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:19 pm

I have just edited the score since on the last beat of bar 25. the "f" quaver should be "f.sharp" -the "f" preceding this should be natural as indicated on the" f."an octave below.Apologies to those who have already downloaded the score.

avoz

Postby avoz » Thu Nov 26, 2009 4:16 pm

The first arrangement of the piece to appear was by K. Minami in the key of G - Kindgren plays it a fourth lower.

mordent

Postby mordent » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:56 pm

I have again edited to change some fingerings .These are in bars 18-19 ,29-30,35-36. I have also altered bar 37. to something ,I think better. These bars were difficult to finger because of the close spacing of the voices. In this bridge section the upper repeated voice must predominate over the moving discords.
I apologise again for this further edit and by indicating the bars in question this will enable anyone who has downloaded to alter in pen.

mparton

Postby mparton » Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:57 pm

avoz wrote:The first arrangement of the piece to appear was by K. Minami in the key of G - Kindgren plays it a fourth lower.

Sorry that I will have to correct this a bit.

The Minami arrangements seem to be dated 2002. An arrangement (in D) by finnish guitarist Seppo Siirala was published in 1999 in his collection "Souvenir - Finnish Romantic Miniatures for Guitar", ISBN 951-757-639-0, by Warner/Chappell Music Finland Oy.

Matti P.

Hyrtsi

Postby Hyrtsi » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:11 am

Thank you for this arrangement!

I'm curious to compare this with the Minami's and Kindgen's arrangements. This is one of my favorite pieces for piano so I'd like to learn it for guitar as well.

AO

Postby AO » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks so much for posting this piece. I have never heard of this composer and I’m looking forward to do some research. It’s great thing about this site, you can log on and find a gem like this to keep you busy for awhile. (looking forward trying it on the piano as well :roll: )

dropbydrop

Postby dropbydrop » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:45 am

I love this piece and it's wonderful for me to have your transcription.
:merci: :merci: :merci:
I am afraid of being too much beginner for it, but I also have the bad habit of dramatically simplify what is too difficult for me.
I'm sorry for this :oops:
Federico
:::===( o)
(o )==::

spanishguitarmusic

Re: [PDF] Merikanto, Oskar - Valse Lente

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:27 am

:merci: so much for this great pdf! :) :bye:

mordent

Re: [PDF] Merikanto, Oskar - Valse Lente

Postby mordent » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:37 pm

Thank you "dropbydrop" and "spanishguitarmusic" for your kind remarks. The midsection of this piece is not easy and the discords can be challenging to the ear at first hearing but it is surprising how much --for want of a better word --"acceptable " it sounds after hearing it a few times. Charlie Parker would have loved it!

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”