[PDF] Couperin, François - Les Barricades Mystérieuses

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Bergkristall

Re: [PDF] Couperin, François - Les Barricades Mystérieuses

Post by Bergkristall » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:00 am

what other versions of this piece do you know. I'm trying for weeks to find an alternative to Kindler's. Do you know where to buy Enno Voorhorsts "edition"?

clivelane

Post by clivelane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:36 am

I have been looking up Couperin in a music conservatorium library to try to find out what this title (Les Barricaes Mysterieuses) could possibly refer to. No luck yet - there may be an answer or a theory in a new book that I have not yet been able to get hold of:
The Mirror of Human Life: Reflections on Francois Couperin's "Pieces De Clavecin" by Jane Clark and Derek Connon.

Anyone know if this book has an answer?

pogmoor

Post by pogmoor » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 am

clivelane wrote:The Mirror of Human Life: Reflections on Francois Couperin's "Pieces De Clavecin" by Jane Clark and Derek Connon.
Google Books allows you to search inside the book - it doesn't seem to contain either of the words Barricades or Mystérieuses.
Eric from GuitarLoot
Renaissance and Baroque freak; classical guitars by Paul Fischer (1995) and Lester Backshall (2008)
Yamaha SLG 130NW silent classical guitar (2014), Ramirez Guitarra del Tiempo (2017)

clivelane

Post by clivelane » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:26 pm

Hmm... the review in Early Music suggests that Clark and Connon are looking at the titles...I'll have to buy a copy, I guess. :)

Derek Adlam, writing in Early Music News, 4 June 2011:
Jane Clark and Derek Connon give us keys to the elusive, allusive titles of Couperin’s solo harpsichord music, titles that indicate the content, atmosphere and character of these works of subtle genius ... for me, the pages of the Ordres now teem with actors and actresses, characters from the Commedia dell’arte, courtiers and courtesans, all portrayed in Couperin’s witty, punning, sly, amused, sympathetic, loving commentary on his life and times ... This neatly produced work is essential for players and listeners alike.

Reinhard14

Post by Reinhard14 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:35 am

Bergkristall wrote:what other versions of this piece do you know. I'm trying for weeks to find an alternative to Kindler's. Do you know where to buy Enno Voorhorsts "edition"?
Enno sent me a handwritten version of what he wants to publish in US; i don't know if he wants me to pass it on therefore. I also have a copy of Richard Yates' edition and have compared all 3. The last and Enno's are very similar. I don't know why Lester Backshell has interpreted it differently; i asked him but didn't get a reply so far. If you send me your e-mail i can give you the different versions that i found free in the www.
Reinhard 14

Les Backshall
Luthier

Post by Les Backshall » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:02 pm

Reinhard14 wrote:I don't know why Lester Backshell has interpreted it differently; i asked him but didn't get a reply so far...
I'm afraid I've been far to busy to go back over this, but as Reinhard has mentioned it publicly, I've had a look at the original score. The notes in question in bar 60 should be F not A , those in bar 62 should be G, which I have. Bar 64 should also be F, not A.

I occasionally transcribe or arrange pieces which interest me and post them here so others can try them out if they want; and I'm grateful to those who have pointed out errors. But I would point that I'm not a musicologist and only do it for enjoyment. For those who are studying this piece more deeply and comparing versions, could I suggest a good place to start would be 'Francois Couperin - Complete Keyboard Works' edited by Johannes Brahms and Friedrich Chrysander - which is freely available on the internet.

And finally, a big :merci: to those who actually said :merci:

Les
Lester Backshall, Guitar Maker - Aylesbury UK

Reinhard14

Post by Reinhard14 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:14 pm

hope you don't mind, Lester, i had e-mailed to you to check this out. Anyway - i am grateful for your kind help and your transcribtion was very useful to me. Reinhard

singvomblatt

Post by singvomblatt » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:03 pm

I'll definitely play this in my summer vacation!! thank you very much. I made a note to this messures mentioned here 60 62 64 and hope to find out if the bass has to change or the melody line!!!

greetings: singvomblatt

Mykart

Post by Mykart » Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:03 am

So glad I came across this score, thanks to the member who posted it. Like many others this has been on my "to learn" list since I first heard Parkening play it many years ago.
"There's nothing worse than an undetermined person" - Robert Pollard

bushweek

Post by bushweek » Fri Sep 09, 2011 11:16 am

Thanks Les, this is great! Easy to read, and I think easier to play than the Yates version :)

Claus

Post by Claus » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks a lot! I am looking for some new pieces to learn during the next rainy weekends.

Ecclespaul

Post by Ecclespaul » Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:19 pm

Excellent, wanna play this again, I can't find my version. Thanks.

bazzerhut

Post by bazzerhut » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:15 pm

OK, so I'm trying to learn Enno Voorhorst's arrangement, so beautifully played here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0bblfBV ... 0ag&lf=BFa

At 0' 54", is that really an extraordinarily deft right-hand cross-string trill, or has the whole thing indeed been finger-synced in the studio after the fact, with a "normal" left-hand trill inserted at this point? It's true that there's no visible sign of any microphone or pickup. What does the team think?

Barry

Tedi

Post by Tedi » Fri Nov 04, 2011 12:16 pm

Thank you Les. I am practicing the arrangement after watching the movie Tree of Life.

grunt

Post by grunt » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:32 am

Hi Les, Thank you for your hard work. This is a beautiful piece.

Any chance it could be reformatted to fit on two pages?

Thanks!

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”