[PDF] Giuliani, Mauro - op.113 Fughetta

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
JeffR

[PDF] Giuliani, Mauro - op.113 Fughetta

Post by JeffR » Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:35 pm

Here's another version of Opus 113 Fughetta by Giuliani. When I started working on the piece I wanted a larger font so now it covers 3 pages instead of 2. Fingerings have been added in one version and there is also another with no fingerings.

If you are just getting into counterpoint this is good piece to work on. There are sections of three moving voices and also four notes against one. The theme plays in the upper voice and then is repeated in the lowest voice with chordal accompaniment above and there are some sections of 3 voices in similar rhythms which are a bit of a fingering tangle.

I went through the piece analyzing the harmonic changes and that makes the piece a lot clearer. For example the theme is stated in the key of G and then at bar 8 it is in the key of the dominant, D major. At bar 18 it shifts to B minor and then at 36 into E minor. At 42 it plays a variation in C major for 2 bars and then into A minor at 44. After some episodic stuff the theme states in the lower voice at bar 59 in C major. At bar 68 there is a restatement of the theme in the original key of G and from then to the end it is pretty much running for the barn. If you look at the connecting sections between the keys you can trace the modulations and how Giuliani slips from one key to another. (Doing the same thing with Bach will pay you huge dividends.)

This is an interesting piece that doesn't get played that much but is not wickedly hard, though certainly not easy.
Cheers,
Jeff
Giuliani_Fughetta Op113.pdf
[PDF] Giuliani, M; Fughetta op113, no fingering.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrupted file replaced

sniggl

Re: [PDF] Giuliani, Mauro - op.113 Fughetta

Post by sniggl » Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Thank you very much. There is a nice rendition of this piece by Ronny Wiesauer on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LittleBigMa ... Z-hSTg3nTU

Stefan
Guitar: Sebastian Stenzel (2008)

"Es ist schon alles gesagt, nur noch nicht von allen." ( Karl Valentin)

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:33 pm

Thank you, Jeff! And thank you for your analysis. :D

I've always enjoyed this piece, but my edition is very difficult to read. I like your fingerings. I know how tedious it is to put them all in, but I really appreciate them. (I'm one of those guys who reads the fingerings more than the notes :wink: ).

Best wishes,

Alan

AO

Post by AO » Sat May 15, 2010 1:20 pm

Thanks Jeff,
this one is a new one for me, and thanks Stefan for the link.
Cheers AO.

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Sun May 16, 2010 8:42 am

:merci: Jeff,

Many thanks for the scores, I like Giuliaani's works very much,

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

marlovitsh

Post by marlovitsh » Mon May 24, 2010 10:37 am

Thank you!

I really like your fingerings

Harry
guitars: Marcelino Lopez Nieto (1985), Paul Fisher Lutherie (1983)

19thcenturyguitarist

Post by 19thcenturyguitarist » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:22 pm

This is one of Giuliani's most underrated pieces. :casque: Thank you for posting this amazing fuge by a classical guitar composer. :merci:

fortunately, i have been playing this fuge off and on for the last ten years. It is cute and brilliant. More guitarists should be aware of its existance! Rare for a early romantic guitar composer to write a fuge. Its pretty catchy too!

Brambach29

Post by Brambach29 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:18 pm

I have been looking for the fingering for this Fughetta by Giuliani! I love the piece but feel I could benefit from some alternate approach to better bring out the voices. Hopefully, this PDF is what I'm looking for. By the way, the Ronny Wiesauer video is very good if you have not heard it!
Thanks,
Brambach29

Michael7

Post by Michael7 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:39 am

Really looking forward to getting the knots out of my fingers and to trying out this solution!

Stephen Kenyon
Teacher

Post by Stephen Kenyon » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:50 am

The no fingering version seems to start on page 2!
Simon Ambridge Series 40 (2005)
Trevor Semple Series 88 (1992)
Louis Panormo (1838)
Alexander Batov Baroque Guitar (2013)

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”