[PDF] Anon. - Wild Mountain Thyme.

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
mordent

[PDF] Anon. - Wild Mountain Thyme.

Post by mordent » Sun May 29, 2011 1:21 am

This is my romantic version of a lovely Gaelic melody. I say "Gaelic" since this will hopefully cover both Scottish or Irish Claims 0f origin. There are other guitar arrangements of this piece which are very different to mine but this is after all a love ballad and so I make no apology for this perhaps overtly romantic arrangement. The Bass pp. indications are meant to be an echo and that is why they are so indicated. All the harmonics are natural and therefore easy to play .,the "G" 0n 3.String 5th fret (Bar 38.) is not always clear on some guitars ---at the risk of being patronising I can say that plucking upwards with nail only more towards the bridge and being dead on the fretwire often helps here. The natural Bass notes below the harmonics obviously must be played pp.If difficult then just play the passage without harmonics. I indicated harmonics here since it is a nice contrast to the following passage which is on the bass strings.
I have just noticed that I have left out some fingering so Iv'e edited to include this. My apologies to the 6.members who have already downloaded'

(PDF updated 22/08/2011)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by mordent on Sun May 29, 2011 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Cary W

Re: [PDF]Anon.,Wild Mountain Thyme.

Post by Cary W » Sun May 29, 2011 1:31 am

Thanks for the arrangement. I will give it a try!

Cheers,
Cary
2008 Yamaha GC31C Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ46
1987 Yamaha GC-3 Indian/cedar D'Addario EJ45

andyp

Re: [PDF] Anon. - Wild Mountain Thyme.

Post by andyp » Sun May 29, 2011 1:29 pm

Yep. Thanks.

I'm looking at a number of arrangements for this beautiful tune so your version is very timely.

junbo

Post by junbo » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:40 pm

This looks promising. Will try it when I have more time on my hands (sigh) and give you feedback. Meanwhile, many thanks for sharing. This is a lovely piece that keeps playing in my head (the Scott Tennant version).

Cheers,
Junbo

johnparchem
Amateur luthier

Post by johnparchem » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:55 pm

Thanks,

This is a nice piece. I had on question on the 27th bar, you had two notes on the 6th string the D and the natural harmonic F#. I just switched the bass notes on the 26th and 27 bar, but was wondering how you play it.

John

mordent

Post by mordent » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:50 pm

Hi John. Thank you for your observations. The bass low "D" in bar 27.is an error as you have noted since you can't play 2. notes on the same string :mrgreen: Please therefore delete this from your score. I have.however, taken this opportunity to tidy up the score and make some small changes. You may wish to download the revised score which is now on line. If you wish to amend your copy then the changes are as follows:- Bar 7.3rd. beat chord changed to 1.st. inversion B.minor. Bar 27. delete bass low "D" as noted above. In addition some "wandering " fingerings were repositioned and missing fingerings inserted. Best wishes . Mordent.
Chopin used to sleep with wooden wedges between his fingers to increase their span--now there's a thought !

Vesuvio

Post by Vesuvio » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:28 am

:merci: Mike,

Very kind of you to share your work,

Best wishes, V :D
"There are only two things worth aiming for, good music and a clean conscience." Paul Hindemith

johnparchem
Amateur luthier

Post by johnparchem » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:04 pm

Thanks, I downloaded your new version and enjoyed playing through it.

John

andi33x

Post by andi33x » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:02 pm

Thanks for sharing it to all of us!
:merci:
For me it is a hard time since I am in Spain for 3 weeks without a guitar (holidays). This means only sun and beach and no strings. And now a pdf like this!

I try now to play without an instrument...
There is nothing more beautiful than the sound of a guitar - maybe aside from that of two guitars (Frederic Chopin)

mordent

Post by mordent » Sat Sep 03, 2011 1:23 am

Thank you Cary,Vesuvio,Andyp,Junbo,John and Andi33 for your interest. I hope the arrangement meets at least a little of your expectations. best Wishes. Mordent.

bob1a

Post by bob1a » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:23 pm

Delightful arrangement, this is now part of my continuous search for Scottish music for guitar. By the way 'Gaelic' does not cover both Scotland and Irish,
'Braes o' balqhidder' is Scots not Gaelic.IMO opinion Wild Mountain Thyme is an improved version of the Braes and with a better tune. If only the McPeaks had been happy with this their name would most certainly have been associated with this song much more closely.
bob1a

David Crooks

Post by David Crooks » Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:43 pm

I'd agree with Bobla (Hi Robert, nice to see you're still around). "Gaelic" would cover Celtic music of both Scotland and Ireland, but though the song is indeed Scots, rather than Gaelic, the melody doesn't to my ears seem to belong to any of those traditions.

Cookie

JeffR

Post by JeffR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:04 pm

Really nice arrangement. Thanks a lot.
Jeff

mordent

Post by mordent » Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:26 pm

Thank you Bob1a and JeffR for your kind remarks .I hope the arrangement gives you as much pleasure as I had in working on it. Best wishes. Mordent.

Tom Cunliffe

Post by Tom Cunliffe » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:13 pm

I really like this arrangement. Did anyone ever produce an mp3 or YT video of it do you know? I'm making progress with it, but a recorded example would be interesting.

Thanks in anticipation

Tom

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”