[PDF] Anon. - Gilderoy

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
Frank Nordberg

[PDF] Anon. - Gilderoy

Postby Frank Nordberg » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:27 pm

Here's an old Scottish/English/Irish folk tune. Strictly speaking it is a rant, not a hornpipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrupted file replaced

edgradwell

Re: [PDF] Anon. - Gilderoy

Postby edgradwell » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:39 pm

Hi Frank

I like your arrangement of this tune. If I'm not mistaken I think Robin Laing sings an unaccompanied version of it called 'Tall Tale' from his album 'The Angels Share' An amusing ditty about drinking whisky. Have you any more of this sort of stuff up your sleeve. I love it!

Ed

herb

Postby herb » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks for this tune, Frank. I must have missed it when you first posted.
Herb

Frank Nordberg

Postby Frank Nordberg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 4:43 pm

Glad you liked it, Ed and Herb!

I've just posted another Irish folk dance, the doulbe jig "Cat In the Corner" at http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75079. It's quite a lot more old-fashioned and may be less appealing to lovers of modern traditional music but I hope you like it anyway.

edgradwell wrote:If I'm not mistaken I think Robin Laing sings an unaccompanied version of it called 'Tall Tale'

I hadn't heard of that version before but it doesn't surprise me. "Gilderoy" is one of those icon English/Scottish/Irish folk tunes that everybody have their own version of.

edgradwell

Postby edgradwell » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:57 pm

Thanks for pointing me to your double jig Frank. It's fun to play, and although you caution about playing it too fast, I do like to pump the speed up now and then on these sorts of tunes. Would you add ornaments when you play these kinds of tunes?

Frank Nordberg

Postby Frank Nordberg » Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:20 pm

edgradwell wrote:Thanks for pointing me to your double jig Frank. It's fun to play, and although you caution about playing it too fast, I do like to pump the speed up now and then on these sorts of tunes.

Everybody do and there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't play for dancers.

edgradwell wrote:Would you add ornaments when you play these kinds of tunes?

Me? Nah, I'm too lazy. Others would though although it seems Irish folk guitarists tend to use less ornamentation than banjoists and mandolinists.

Here's another one with some written ornamentation:
http://www.classicalguitardelcamp.com/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=75094

Hildegard of Bingen

Postby Hildegard of Bingen » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:57 am

Thanks for the beautiful transcription....got interested in old Scottish music from Neil Gow's Lament for 2nd Wife. arr by David Crooks. Looking forward to playing your piece.

mandoisland

Postby mandoisland » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:44 pm

Thanks!
mandoisland / Freiburg / Germany

spanishguitarmusic

Postby spanishguitarmusic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:06 am

Thank you for the pdf of this piece!

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”