[PDF] jack_cat - 9 Romantic Waltzes

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
jack_cat

[PDF] jack_cat - 9 Romantic Waltzes

Post by jack_cat » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:44 pm

9_Waltzes_Guitar_by_JS.pdf
9 waltzes composed 2011 - 2013. Posted here publicly for the first time July 15th 2013.
May be freely downloaded and re-distributed by all interested guitarists for public or private performance without cost or obligation. Please refrain from distributing in any other notation style or format, thank you.

Recording rights reserved by the author, please inquire for permissions.

50 years or so ago I announced to my second grade teacher and class that I intended to be "a composer" when and if I ever grew up, and while I have written a few things over the years, of course, I do feel that these are a cut above the rest, and so I present these fruits of my later years to the classical guitar community.

These waltzes are stylistically in a direct line from Barrios and Lauro. There are three in minor keys and six in major keys.

jack_cat
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GeoffB on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrupted file replaced

Denis Paradis

Re: [PDF] jack_cat - 9 Romantic Waltzes

Post by Denis Paradis » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:35 am

Errr...

Is there a mistake here?

I see a piano score yet the title (9_Waltzes_Guitar_by_JS.pdf) suggest that this should be a guitar arrangement?

Thanks all the same :bravo:

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

Tarbaby (1953 - 2016)

Post by Tarbaby (1953 - 2016) » Tue Jul 16, 2013 1:43 am

Denis Paradis wrote:Is there a mistake here?
No mistake, Denis. In the preface, he explains why he prefers to use the grand staff for guitar. :wink:

It makes it very difficult to sight read (at least for me), but I'll work with it because I'm really curious to hear what they sound like. This is my favorite genre! :D

Thank you Jack, and congratulations on going public! :merci:

Alan

Denis Paradis

Post by Denis Paradis » Wed Jul 17, 2013 2:02 am

Tarbaby wrote:
Denis Paradis wrote:Is there a mistake here?
In the preface, he explains why he prefers to use the grand staff for guitar. :wink:

It makes it very difficult to sight read (at least for me)

Alan
Ah! Thanks Alan :)

Well... I very rarely read the bass clef so that will be a nice practice :idea:

Denis
“Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music”

- Rachmaninov

Montgomery

Post by Montgomery » Wed Jul 17, 2013 6:08 am

Thanks for sharing these. Sadly, I find the bass clef difficult to read but I would love to hear how they sound.

jack_cat

Post by jack_cat » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:39 pm

Comment erased.
jack
Last edited by jack_cat on Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brian Brock

Post by Brian Brock » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:58 pm

I read through a few of them. The bass clef isn't a problem for me, though it would be easier to read your composition if the score was more legible. I generally agree that the grand staff fits the guitar's range quite well, but I typically put my scores in conventional notation because people are used to it and I want to remove impediments to the appreciation of the music.

What I read seemed good. It's a nice collection of sweet music - not an easy thing at all to produce. I see the Lauro connection although my impression was more of a classical / early romantic compositional style. Have you checked out Sojo's 5 Venezuelan pieces? It might interest you if you like Lauro.

nimaranjbar

Post by nimaranjbar » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:44 am

Ok I knew at one point I should learn to read bass cleff. Now the time has come!

Brian Brock

Post by Brian Brock » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:10 pm

to practice bass clef I recommend reading through the first few Bach Cello Suites from the original scores.

jack_cat

Re: Grand Staff as used by Sor

Post by jack_cat » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:51 pm

Little known factoid:
Fernando Sor published the first edition of his second fantasy (starts in C minor, later variations in C Major, recorded once by Bream I think) in GRAND STAFF - but the second edition was in G clef and he appears not to have ever tried it again.
Unmarketable, we may presume. I attach the file in PDF with a rough English translation of the preface in French where Sor grouses about G clef not accurately representing the music.
Sor_2nd_Fantasy_grandstaff-annotations.pdf
With regard to Brian's comment about reading the Bach cello suites in order to learn to read the F clef - well, yes, and you will need to learn to read C clef too, not a bad thing, but I didn't get much of anywhere with the cello suites myself until I got a seven string guitar with an extra bass string, because there are lots of low C's and D's that don't sound so great transposed up an octave.

Inevitably there will be various comments about my use of grand staff, to be expected. I didn't write them for anybody who can't read them, and am not too concerned about reaching a mass audience. Those of you who can read them, enjoy. The one's who can't, well, they can go play something else, there's no shortage of music here.

- jack
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pelogan

Post by pelogan » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:28 pm

Hi, Jack.

I don't have permissions (not sure why) to download any of the PDF's on this thread. Is there another way you could get them to me? I'm extremely interested to give these a look.

Cheers,
Philip

George Crocket

Post by George Crocket » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 pm

Philip, it should be OK now. Let us know if not using PM or "Your Messages to the Site Administrator".
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

pelogan

Post by pelogan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:05 pm

George Crocket wrote:
Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:02 pm
Philip, it should be OK now. Let us know if not using PM or "Your Messages to the Site Administrator".
Working great! Many thanks.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”