[PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Compositions and arrangements by members of the forum.
Forum rules
III Ours MP3, WMV, MOV, OGG, AVI, Author’s rights

Title format: [PDF/JPG tag] Composer's surname, forename - op.xx/xx Title - tags (if known)
e.g. [PDF] Albeniz, Isaac - op.47 Sevilla
or [PDF] Quantz, J. J. - op.02/02 Duetto - Duo (For more than one forename, just give initials.)
or [PDF] Anon. - Packington's Pound (Use Anon. for all anonymous or traditional pieces.)
Username may replace Composer's surname and forename for your own compositions.
For Giuliani the opus number should be 3 digits (op.048) and for Bach the BWV number should be 4 digits (BWV 0820).
For more details see instructions here.
geraldkidd

[PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Postby geraldkidd » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:03 pm

My hobbies are Classical Guitar and film making and this is one of my combinations. As with many other arrangements of this work, I wanted to try to bring out the dynamics and to add a different view point to this well known piece. I hope the forum like it and give it ago. Should the forum wish to look at my other combinations they are on Youtube under my channel, Gerald Kidd. I am a little new to all of this but hope to add additional arrangements of other works later on and I welcome all comments, please enjoy.

You can see my video of this piece here: viewtopic.php?f=89&t=93805&p=997847#p997847.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Aucaman

Re: [PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007, Prelude

Postby Aucaman » Mon Mar 02, 2015 12:37 am

Hi GeraldKidd,

You bring a lot to this video. So let me start by saying that the movie you interspersed with your guitar is quite beautiful. :D It must have taken quite a lot of technique and hard work to produce this video. I have seen other video clips of this Cello Prelude and they usually have landscape shots of rivers, flowers and mountains as a central theme. I had never seen an aquarium attached to Bach's music. Quite interesting. The only problem is that, at least in my case, I was focussing on the images and not really actively listening to your guitar. :oops: I had to go back a second time to see (i.e., hear) your arrangement and performance.

This first thing I heard different was of course the bass part. I was intrigued so I downloaded the score to be able to examine and try to play your arrangement. I have to be honest and tell you that, am sorry I didn't like it all that much. Let me tell you why.

There are many versions available which have a very sparse bass line and are much closer to the original cello. About 8 years ago my teacher and I examined about 5 versions and finally chose the one made by Per-Olov Kindgren. One of the things I like about this is that the focus is on the phrases, scales and modulations which run mainly on the treble strings. The bass is like a continuo supporting the lace-like voices above.

And what I really like about the standard arrangement is that I can play it well!! Without having to make so many fingering jumps to play your bass line, I can make the whole thing flow smoothly, I can make music by stressing the different voices and concentrate on color, tempo, etc.

I felt the bass line you added takes away the simplicity (and in my opinion beauty) of the original bass line. Needless to say, your arrangement is quite complex for me to play and hence much more difficult to come up with a nice clean version of it. I'm not a professional player; only a guitar lover. I did read (not performed) the whole thing and your arrangement puts the BWV 1007 Prelude right out of my league.
Maybe my guitar heroes could do all this with your very rich arrangement. I can't so I'll stick to Kindgren's arrangement.

Finally let me add that I really admire you ability to make such an arrangement. You must know quite a bit of music theory. I couldn't begin to do that. Bravo! :bravo:
--------------------------------------------
PS: I just re-read my post and one way of reading what I wrote would be:
"I don't like it because I can't play it!"
It's true that I can't play it. However, what I'm trying to say is: "I like a simpler bass line." :casque:

geraldkidd

Re: [PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007, Prelude

Postby geraldkidd » Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:14 am

Thanks for your comments, each to there own as they say. Keep your eyes on my other arrangements as and when perhaps we will find one you like. Regards Gerry

Quique Castillo

Re: [PDF] Bach, J. S. - BWV 1007 Prelude

Postby Quique Castillo » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:28 pm

Thanks for this arrangement it is much appreciated!

Peace

Bachisbest

Postby Bachisbest » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:08 am

Great that this piece is available - I can't wait to be approved so I can download the pdf :)

geraldkidd

Postby geraldkidd » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:23 pm

Hi Bachisbest. I guess you are joining the forum hope you enjoy the score. I have a number of other scores with good fingering you may find of interest and videos on each with my youtube channel under Gerald Kidd. There is another good Bach one. I hope you may consider to subscribe to my channel or tell your friends. Good luck.

Return to “Our scores for classical guitar”