Purcell, Henry - Strike the Viol - Ensemble

This is where we can post our audio recordings (MP3 or OGG) of pieces for more than one guitar, where one part has been deliberately omitted, to enable other members to practise playing the missing part along with our recording.
Forum rules
This is where we can post our audio recordings (MP3 or OGG) of pieces for more than one guitar, where one part has been deliberately omitted, to enable other members to practise playing the missing part along with our recording.
Audio files contributed on the "Virtual duos, trios and ensembles" forum remain the property of their contributors. Joint recordings incorporating such files may not be published anywhere other than on the Delcamp forums.
benZene

Purcell, Henry - Strike the Viol - Ensemble

Post by benZene » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:11 pm

Another virtual ensemble from my archives.
It is the famous air from the Ode for Queen Mary's Birthday (Come Ye Sons of Art).
Strike the Viol was composed for countertenor, two flutes and continuo.
I posted that some times ago on the french forum :http://www.guitareclassiquedelcamp.com/ ... 98&t=17656, in a time when i experimented a lot transcribing orchestral scores. Up to ten or twelve guitar voices :? , with chorals from Bach Cantatas. It was probably a bit cheeky, but for me a real pleasure to dive into those beautiful harmonies.
I recorded that with five tracks, spliting the continuo, and playing those voices pizzicato, a strip of rag near the bridge to mute the strings.
For the bass voice of the continuo, the grave E string was lowered to C, to preserve a few fine effects Purcell had placed in his music.
I recorded the two flute voices in separate tracks, don't remember anymore why, probably a matter of resonance.
So, the recording is made of five tracks.
For those who dont have access to the french forum, i post here the recording (5 voices):
Purcell_StrikeTheViol.mp3
And if you want to give it a try, the defective mixings:
  • Without the melody:
    Purcell_StrikeTheViol_2345.mp3
    Without the first flute:
    Purcell_StrikeTheViol_1345.mp3
    Without the second flute:
    Purcell_StrikeTheViol_1245.mp3
    Without the continuo:
    Purcell_StrikeTheViol_1235.mp3
    Without the bass:
    Purcell_StrikeTheViol_1234.mp3
The score :
Purcell_StrikeTheViol.pdf
For the fun of it: i recently found on youtube something quite more irreverent that my modest do-it-yourself orchestra : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bamXG2a ... re=related. Isn't it worth a look ? :bye:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

George Crocket

Re: Purcell, Henry - Strike the Viol - Ensemble

Post by George Crocket » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:50 pm

Interesting. It sounds good with definite possibilities.

:merci:
George
2010 Stephen Eden spruce/cocobolo classical guitar
2012 Stephen Eden cedar/IRW classical guitar

wsuemnick

Re: Purcell, Henry - Strike the Viol - Ensemble

Post by wsuemnick » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:50 am

thank you, i will shortly playing along with you.
Hi, i'm wolfgang. i'm a guitarist from Stuttgart, germany. I love to play the guitar.

Return to “Virtual duos, trios and ensembles”