Short Piece - Composer Unknown

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
Don Asay

Short Piece - Composer Unknown

Post by Don Asay » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:29 pm

I am posting this in hope that someone can identify the source of this piece. My teacher/coach provided a transcription based upon memory. I cut the last 15 seconds of it so that it would fit within the the 30 second time limitation.
It is a lovely piece, I haven't learned it well enough yet to do it justice. The plan is to use it as an intro to Tarrega's Study in E minor.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Don Asay on Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YingJ

Re: Short Piece - Composer Unknown

Post by YingJ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Sorry I don't know where this piece is originated from, but it sure sounds lovely, feels like it's from a movie (for the lack of words). Would be curious to find out as well. Thanks for sharing Don!

Iain

Post by Iain » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:29 pm

Sounds like.
Serenade by Shubert,played by Johana Beisteiner playing it on
www.youtube.com/watch

ragdoll serenade

Post by ragdoll serenade » Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:43 pm

Iain, thank you for referring me to that performance or the Serenade. That was a wonderful rendition of Schubert's famous piece. I play a much simpler version. However, I don't think that is the song in question. I also am thinking it was a movie theme....sounds familiar but I can't quite place it.

YouCanDoIt34

Post by YouCanDoIt34 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:14 am

Don Asay wrote:I am posting this in hope that someone can identify the source of this piece. My teacher/coach provided a transcription based upon memory. I cut the last 15 seconds of it so that it would fit within the the 30 second time limitation.
It is a lovely piece, I haven't learned it well enough yet to do it justice. The plan is to use it as an intro to Tarrega's Study in E minor.
Not a bad thought as the piece starts hinting at an Em9-D-C-B7 progression or something like that - I'm not being rigorous - but when it gets to the Eb note on the fifth-7th chord, it builds tension nicely to start in Em.

The song also has a certain flexibility that I like - it could be melancholy (something sad), or it could be something happening near a Mexican cantina.

Fun piece to play - probably, you should just write the movie!

Hilary Field
Concert performers

Post by Hilary Field » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:33 am

Hi Don,

The piece is called "Soir D'Hiver/Winter Evening by Claude Léveilée, arranged by Claude Gagnon. It is published as a guitar solo in "The Royal Conservatory of Music Guitar Series" Volume 2 (Toronto). I don't know if that book is still in print. It seems like it was originally a vocal song. You can search for it with that title on YouTube. There is sheet music for the song for voice and guitar on online sheet music stores. Hope this helps - Hilary
"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent” (Victor Hugo)

mc1

Post by mc1 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:19 pm

Hilary Field wrote:Hi Don,

The piece is called "Soir D'Hiver/Winter Evening by Claude Léveilée, arranged by Claude Gagnon. It is published as a guitar solo in "The Royal Conservatory of Music Guitar Series" Volume 2 (Toronto). I don't know if that book is still in print. It seems like it was originally a vocal song. You can search for it with that title on YouTube. There is sheet music for the song for voice and guitar on online sheet music stores. Hope this helps - Hilary
i think claude leveilee was inspired by a poem by emile nelligan. here is a youtube video of claude:

Youtube

Tom Moreno

Post by Tom Moreno » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:12 am

Well done Don- beautiful tone!

spanishguitarmusic

Post by spanishguitarmusic » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:02 am

Wow, this piece sounds so lovely! Very nice! Thank you for posting it.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”