Recording check

This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed.
Forum rules
This forum is for our discussions on any classical guitar works. Regardless of whether these works are still under copyright, we can illustrate our discussions with extracts to a maximum length of 8 bars or 30 seconds, using attached audio files (mp3, wav or wma) or video files (mov or wmv). Only attached files are permitted. Links to audio and video files are not allowed. However, we can say in our posts "you can hear a model interpretation by such and such a guitarist on such and such a site".

This forum serves as a place of mutual help if we are stuck on a technical or musical difficulty, whether the problem stems from the notes, the rhythm, the dynamics, or the fingering. We can post several successive versions of the extract, as our work on it progresses. This will serve to help not only the member who is presenting his work, but also indirectly the dozens of other members who are having the same issues with the same passage, but who don't have the equipment or the technical knowledge to post a recording.

As a rule there should be just one topic per work. If several discussions arise on the same work, the moderators will merge the threads together.
Ohmu

Recording check

Post by Ohmu » Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Hello,

I want to start recording myself play to help me improve and to share progress. Does anyone have any feedback for me on my first test recording?
Is it natural sounding?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UKsteve

Re: Recording check

Post by UKsteve » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:34 am

In a word, "yes".

Good job I think, especially for a first attempt. What setup are you using?

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:47 am

Is there some reverb on the recording? It sounds a little 'over processed' in the trebles. In any event, it is more than good enough to post recordings to ask for feedback on your playing.

Peter

Ohmu

Post by Ohmu » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:45 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I just want to make sure all my recordings are consistant so best to get it 'perfect' from the start.

I'm using a single Oktava Mk012 small condenser mic plugged into an M-audio Fast track USB interface. Software wise i'm using Logic with some reverb and sample delay to delay one of the L/R channels to give a wider, stereo effect.

Ohmu

Post by Ohmu » Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:50 pm

Also I suppose really what I really want to do is once i've learnt a piece, is to perfect it and have all my pieces on soundcloud in one place.

petermc61

Post by petermc61 » Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:48 pm

I would play with the reverb and delay settings a bit. Used them sparingly, less is more. The best result will be applied when nobody is quite sure you have added some.

mike.janel

Post by mike.janel » Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:01 am

Thats a very clean and good recording.
There is a bit over emphesis on trebles that makes it less natural, but it could be just my own bassiness preference.
Michael
-----------------------------------------------
2013 Amalio Burguet 3M (Cedar)
1989 Yamaha CG 110 (Spruce)

Ohmu

Post by Ohmu » Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:16 pm

Thanks guys, it sometimes takes a fresh ear to point out things that are noticeable. I also put a bass cut on the EQ so I will look into lessening that too. Much appreciated!

austin_ep

Post by austin_ep » Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:13 pm

I too have been wanting to start recording my playing both to share with others and to improve my playing. This is a wonderful sounding microphone and I will definitely be looking into it! Just to second what others are saying, I think that the stereo field is a bit too wide for this sort of listening critique application as it sounds more like an effect rather than a natural sound. Wonderful sound otherwise!

Sadhaka

Post by Sadhaka » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 am

Hi Ohmu,

I think that the recorded sound is very good, the guitar sounds quite balanced and clear. If anything, I think that the basses are a little weak. This could be a playing issue or mic placement. Try moving your mic around to see if you can get a better balance between the strings.

On a playing technical note, watch the scratchiness of your nails while you pluck, especially in the arpeggiated passage at the end. You can really hear the transition between the treble and bass strings... Perhaps try plucking the basses a little more straight on as opposed to across the string. That's my personal preference anyways....

If you are using Space Designer in Logic you can EQ the reverb as well.

I find that the Impulse responses often give too much boom in the bass and sizzle in the top end so I cut the low and high frequencies right out like in the picture below using the EQ tab in the plugin window. I like to use Hansa Studio + and usually place it in a bus channel so I can mix the reverb in with the recorded track to help get the balance between dry and wet just right. Doesn't matter so much on a single track.

The high pass filter (bass cut) in the track EQ is essential for removing atmospheric rumbling so that's a good step.

While I did find the delay very subtle, I'd leave it out. I think that it creates a bit of a warbling effect in this case. There's nothing wrong with Mono recordings!

Keep up the good work!

Reverb EQ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Denian Arcoleo
Composer

Post by Denian Arcoleo » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:34 am

The sound (tone is nice) but I think there is too much reverb and the huge stereo spread is very unrealistic. I think the ideal should be to make the listener feel they are sitting in the same room as the player.

Tuomas Kourula

Post by Tuomas Kourula » Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:31 pm

I think the recording is not too bad, but maybe a little less processing would be better. Also, I know that many people seem to be using small diaphragm condenser mics to record guitar, but I've personally never had too much luck with those. In fact, the noticeable nail noise that Sadhaka commented earlier might be partly due to the microphones. Maybe cutting a few dB with a high shelf EQ might help lessen that problem?
of the guitar, by the guitar, for the guitar

PeteJ

Post by PeteJ » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:19 am

Agree about SDCs and nail noise. But those without a private chapel to record in have to make do. I also find the width of this recording too much. Pretty good though.

Return to “Extracts of works in progress, 8 bars or 30 seconds maximum”